Rumor Roundup: June 4

Hot corner

In what has been an offseason of non-stop positivity and good news around Florham, everything is not well in Jetland after all.

All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis skipped out on Thursday’s OTA session in Florham Park, a clear indication that league’s most dominant defensive back is upset with the state of his negotiations for a new contract.

With contract renegotiations at a stalemate, Revis Island has temporarily closed down. (JetsInsider.com Photo)

The 24-year-old Revis is entering the fourth year of the six-year contract he signed as a rookie in 2007.  Coming off of his most impressive season as a pro, Revis is set to make $1 million in 2010.

Last month, Revis told ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini that the Jets had promised him a new contract before the beginning of the regular season.

“That’s their word. That’s what they said,” said Revis, standing by his locker. “If you go back on your word, it’s a problem.”

“I don’t know,” he said. “I guess we’ll figure it out when July 31 comes. As of right now, we have a bunch of months to get things done. We’ll see. I trust those guys. But I also know this is a business as well. [But] we believe them at their word. If you go back on your word, in general, in world society, when you go back on your word, it’s a problem. It’s just a problem.”

According to multiple reports, Revis and his agent Neil Schwartz are seeking a new deal that would top that of  Nnamdi Asomugha of the Oakland Raiders ($15.2 million per year).  Any such deal would make the fourth-year pro the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan effectively brushed off Revis’ absence at today’s workouts.  “It’s just part of the business,” said Ryan.  “We’ll see what happens.  When there’s time to react or be frustrated, I’ll react.”

“With Darrelle, he’s been here every day up until this.  He volunteered to be here every single day and now he wasn’t here today.  These are voluntary camps, just like there are voluntary workouts, and he’s made every one up until today. I’ve been impressed with him, to say the least, the way he’s worked.”

Manish Mehta of The Daily News reports that the general consensus amongst the Jet players is that both sides will come to an agreement before the start of the season.

“He was here yesterday, so I’m concerned he wasn’t here today,” Tony Richardson said. “That’s the business side of it. It doesn’t concern me at all. Right now, it doesn’t concern me because it’s June. So, we’ll see how this thing progresses.”

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum acknowledged Thursday that Revis’ contact situation is certainly of high priority to the organization.

“Darrelle is everything we believe in on and off the field,” said Tannenbaum. “We told him that shortly after the season. We remained committed to that.  He’s a foundation for this organization.  He’s a role model for our players.  He’s really been great.  I’m really proud to be the GM that traded up for him.  Within reason, we want to sign him to an extension that will keep him here long term.”

Mangold not opposed to holdout

Apparently, Darrelle Revis isn’t the only Jet upset with his current contract situation.

Jets’ Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold is entering the final year of a five-year deal and is slated to make $3.3 million in 2010.  Mangold has made it clear all offseason that he would prefer to get an extension done before the start of the season.

Thursday, the 26-year-old center made it clear that he is not playing games and could possibly holdout if a deal isn’t reached in time for training camp.

“You show you have no problem missing time,” said Mangold. “It’s still voluntary. I wouldn’t say it’s a warning shot, but it’s a flash of morse code that, ‘Hey, we’re aware of what’s going on.’”

Mangold added that he is taking things on a “week to week” basis, not jumping to any conclusions yet.

“As each little step in the schedule goes along, we make decisions…When the time comes, we’ll make another decision. We’ll keep going with a fluid (plan). I’m not going to say rigidly that this is going to happen or that’s going to happen. Because things change. I don’t want to put my foot in my mouth.”

While OTAs are voluntary for all players, next week begins mandatory mini-camp.  Missing mini-camp or training camp would subject Mangold to a fine, something he definitely takes into the equation.
“You’ve got to look at the pros and cons of dropping 16,000 dollars per day, and you’ve got to look, realistically, is it going to change anything?” he said.  “Is it going to light a fire under anybody?  You’ve got to try to judge the best you can because you don’t really know, and you hope to make the best-informed decision that you can.”
“As of right now, it appears Revis is the priority on the list, which I don’t care either way who is the priority and what not, as long as my timeline gets fulfilled.”
For the organization’s sake, hopefully both are fulfilled in a timely manner.

One Response to “Rumor Roundup: June 4”

  1. jaydog Says:

    tannebaum-lets all work together and give whats needed for a run at the big game. revis, nick, thomas-all key elements that we can’t continue to loose. role models give winning seasons to us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!