Quick Hits from FedEx Field
LANDOVER, MD — The Jets are never on schedule, but always on time. For the second straight week and the tenth time under Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez the Jets have come from behind to steal a victory. And it doesn’t stop on Sundays, it’s something Jets fans have come to expect after Thanksgiving.
The past two seasons the Jets have gone on a late season run to roll into the playoffs. And this one isn’t any different. It wasn’t pretty, but the team made plays when the opportunity presented itself and capitalized.
With the win the Jets are now 7-5, tied with the Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals, Oakland Raiders and Tennessee Titans for the final wildcard spot in the AFC. Two of those teams (the Broncos and Raiders) hold the tiebreaker against the Jets.
Here are a few tidbits and game notes on the Jets 34-19 win at FedEx field brought to you by the New York Jets media relations staff.
LONG SCORING DRIVE:
- The Jets established a season high in both plays and time of possession on a scoring drive when they opened the game with a 17-play, 74-yard 9:06 drive that resulted in a one-yard touchdown run by RB Shonn Greene. QB Mark Sanchez connected on 5-of-7 passes for 47 yards on the drive and helped the team convert three times on third down.
- After leading the Jets to a come from behind victory last week against the Buffalo Bills, completing 7-of-9 passes for 65 yards and a touchdown, Sanchez completed 11-of-14 passes for 98 yards in the first half against the Redskins.
- The Jets held Washington Redskins QB Rex Grossman to 0-of-4 passing in the third quarter after limiting him to 9-of-20 for 120 yards in the first half. For the game Grossman finished 19-of-46 for 221 yards and one interception.
- After allowing Washington to convert their first third down attempt, the Jets held the Redskins without a conversion in their next eight attempts. The Redskins finished the game converting 5-of-16 on third down.
FOURTH QUARTER SCORING:
- The Jets posted 21 points in the fourth quarter of today’s 34-19 win. It was the first time they scored 21-or-more points in the final quarter of a game since 9/28/08 vs. ARZ, when they scored 22 points in the fourth quarter of a 56-35 win. The last time the Jets scored 21-or-more points in the fourth quarter on the road was 12/5/99 at NYG in a 41-28 loss.
- Maybin leads the team with six sacks and four forced fumbles after he sacked and forced WAS QB Rex Grossman to fumble in the fourth quarter. Over the last two contests, Maybin has totaled three sacks.
- In two games in his home state of Maryland, Maybin, an Ellicott City, Maryland native, has tallied two sacks and two forced fumbles. Earlier in the season, he tallied a sack and a forced fumble against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Maryland). In today’s contest at FedExField (Landover, Maryland), Maybin added another sack and forced fumble.
- Greene rushed 22 times for 88 yards and a career-high three touchdowns. This was his first multi-touchdown game since 10/25/09, when he scored two touchdowns at OAK. His 22 carries in today’s contest tie for a career-high in the regular season. He also rushed 22 times on 10/3/10 at BUF.
- The second-year cornerback intercepted Rex Grossman with :36 remaining in the fourth quarter to seal the Jets 34-19 victory. It was Wilson’s second interception of the year and second of his career.