REVIS UPDATE: There will be no game-time decision

UPDATED AS OF 9/13/12 3:40 PM: After meeting with the media, Darrelle Revis said he has been in a “fog”, but is feeling better everyday.

“I feel pretty good. I feel like I can play this week. There are some other things we have to do – follow guidelines and go through protocol – before we can make a decision,” Revis said.

Never having a concussion before, the former Pittsburgh Panther didn’t know whether it was a headache or something serious following teammate Bart Scott inadvertently kicking him in the back of the helmet on Sunday.

“When it happened I knew [who it was]. He plays aggressive, reckless. Of the other ten guys out there I knew it was Bart,” he said.

Revis told reporters that he hasn’t had any sensitivity towards light and that, from a memory standpoint, he joked that he could remember who we were. But as Rex Ryan stated earlier Thursday afternoon, there is no clear cut for Revis’ return to contact or playing on Sunday — as Revis reiterated.

“I really don’t know at this point. Whatever they say, I do. I just have to go by what the doctors say,” he said.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. – The most recent update on Darrelle Revis’ status concerning his concussion and playing this Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers is the same as the last update.

Yesterday, Rex Ryan said his All-Pro cornerback was cleared for physical activity — lifting weights and running — but no contact.

Today, Ryan’s update was no different — still not cleared for live contact, but can continue physical activities.

“Status remains the same. He’s been cleared to resume physical activity. We’ll see how Darrelle is [today]. During the day, if he’s able to do more we’ll let you know. We’re going to proceed with the same thing we talked about – the NFL’s protocol. If he’s not 100%, the Revis won’t play. Simple as that,” Ryan said in his Thursday presser.

Darrelle Revis' status surrounding his mild concussion hasn't changed from yesterday. (JetsInsider.com Photo).

Despite his best efforts at being vague, Ryan said he does not expect Revis’ status to be upgraded to live contact this week.

“I don’t think [he'll be cleared] for contact [this week]. From my understanding it won’t be for live contact at least. We’ll let the process play out, but I’d think by Saturday we’ll have an answer,” he said.

Ryan, who last week stated that not practicing the week prior to a game does not rule a player from competing on Sundays, had a different approach when the injury is concussion related.

“I think the NFL has a different approach about it. I think the NFL has certain standards they’d like you to meet before you take the field. If any guy doesn’t meet their standards then they shouldn’t play. And that’s what the NFL has said. And that’s what we’re all about. The great thing about the NFL is that they have taken those steps in to helping the players. There’s a better understanding of concussions and ways to test the severity of one. No coach would – well, I know this coach wouldn’t put a player on the field if there was a higher risk of him getting injured. There’s no way I would put him in that position,” he said.

A decision will be made by status regarding Revis’ mild concussion by Saturday before leaving for Pittsburgh, as it’s against the league’s rules to have a player suffering from a concussion travel on the team plane — ruling out any chance he’d be a game-time decision.

“I would think we wouldn’t put him on a plane if he still had a concussion,” he said.

Coy or not, Ryan is simply following the protocol of the league’s stance on concussions, which of course has been heightened over the past years.

If he can hold his plan for Revis close to his chest as long as he can, however, why not?

Comments are closed.