ConEd locks out the union
Anyone have work they need done haha looks like the paychecks are stopping for a bit...
from the daily news...
Consolidated Edison locked out 8000 workers early Sunday morning after talks broke down between the company and the workers’ union over a new contract.
The move came as the city was under a heat advisory, with an expected high above 90 degrees Sunday - and Con Ed brought in 5000 management personnel to maintain its system.
The power giant said they sent the workers packing after leaders of the Utility Workers Union of America Local 1-2 refused their offer to extend negotiations.
"Trained and experienced management personnel are staffing essential operations, following the refusal of the Utility Workers Union of America Local 1-2 to accept the company's offer to extend their members' contract for two weeks while talks could continue," the company said in a statement.
Con Ed shut down meter readings and walk-in customer service centers but said managers would be able to respond to any emergencies.
But union spokesman John Melia said the system would be vulnerable with 8000 workers sitting at home.
"They're rolling the dice with an antiquated system and they think they can keep it operating with people who do not have the experience, knowledge or expertise to keep it running," he said.
“If they have some troubles they’ll be hard pressed to repair it,” he said. "They may say they have 5,000 people ready to go out on the street - they don't...They have maybe five people in their executive ranks that have the ability to go into a burning manhole or climb a pole that's on fire."
The dispute centers around worker pensions. Melia insisted it was Con Ed who cut off talks, kicking union negotiators out around 1:30 a.m.
But Con Ed officials said they would allow the employees to come back to work immediately if the union agreed to extend the current contract while talks continue.
A Con Ed spokeswoman said late Sunday morning there had been no progress to resolving the lockout. “The company’s offer to extend the contract remains on the table,” said spokeswoman Sara Banda.
Banda said no service troubles had resulted from the lockout - 59 Con Ed customers were without power but she said that was below the average number on a typical day.
The utility serves about 3.2 million customers in the five boroughs and Westchester County.
"Right now they're acting in an irresponsible manner to the people of the city of New York," Melia said.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1zOuKnv80