Why Jets fans shouldn't root against the Jets.
This seems to be the way of thinking around here, but here are several reasons why it shouldn't be done.
1. It is not fair to the players that are out there working their ass off and risking injuries. I know that to some, the salary could make up for it, but it is just not fair to players like Wilkerson, Kerley, Mangold and others who work their butts off to play a game in front of fans.
2. Assumption part I: We are assuming that if the Jets go 6-10 or 7-9 that a house cleaning is on the way. Reports have already come out saying that Rex and Mark are staying with the Jets and Tanny will be moved if these events occur. But it is not definite. So essentially, fans are rooting for an unknown happenstance.
3. Assumption part II: So if Woody cleans house, how do we know that the next staff is going to be better? Pete Carroll was fired after one losing season and we got Kotite'd. San Diego fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2 and have not done anything since under Norv Turner. Just because we clean house doesn't guarantee success in the next version.
4. Draft status: We are so far in the middle that losing 3 games might not get us a quality draft pick. If we were 3-10 at the moment, that would be a different story.
5. Common sense: Does the New York media think people are stupid in saying that just because the Jets club could get into the playoffs that this team is fixed? Woody Johnson fired Eric Mangini after a 9-7 season. I think Woody can look between the lines.