A while back some divers found on a sunken ship in the North Sea 170 year old bottles of champagne.
I once found an unopened bottle of some never-heard-of-it Scotch in an old friends house. It appeared to have been bottled sometime in the 1800's, and simply sat in a drawer for 100 years or so.
Wonder if I coulda sould that for $32,000.
That hard liquor stuff is lost on me...I think I was scarred for life from alcohol poisoning when I was younger, so I cant even smell some of this stuff without gagging.
Swigged 3/4's of a fifth of Jack after playing softball for 4 hours in the AUgust sun when I was about 17. SOmeone handed it to me and I took a long gulp. Never had a lick of booze in my life until that moment.
Encouraged by the impressed faces with my long gulp, I said watch this....and gulped pretty much all of it.
Never even got drunk.
Just collapsed where I stood.
Until this very day, I cant smell or drink hard stuff.
Perhaps we should force feed our kids a fifth when they hit 16?
Scotch goes down, and stays down, far better (and classier to boot).
I liked Gin as a kid, Tanqueray specificly. I was a big fan of drinking my liquor strait and neat even back then, and Tanq was good for that. For a short time, Tanq made a great Vodka as well. Stopped drinking both when I started drinking Scotch most of the time circa age 21-22 or so.
Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort tho, both were perma-banned for me. On Jack, I was a violent drunk (never happened on any other drink, I'm usually a fat jolly drunk full of love), and almost got arrest as a Lynurd Skynyd show once (thnak god for cool Cops and my wife's pleading). On SoCo I puked so hard a blew out a blood vessel in my eye once. American alcohol is bad, bad, bad mojo man. Bad mojo.
Dida buncha spinnin' and didn't feel too good after that....
To this day, I can't eat peeps.
Never touch vodka, gin, tequila, etc ever again. I switched to beer because I got tired of spending parties known as 'the guy sleeping outside'.
Probably the worse occurrence was when I was 16, and my parents had Polish Spiritus around the house - (192 proof)
The last time I saw my Dad use it he was cleaning silverware with it.
So naturally we thought it would go great with Pepsi.
My parents were away so I had some friends over.
I remember the police showing up at one point, then I blacked out.
I woke up the next morning with vomit literally everywhere. Don't recall a single minute of it. My sisters said I was throwing up in my sleep. like so many deceased rock musicians (Bon Scott, etc).
That was pretty much it for me.
I'd hit it.
Ouzo makes me feel queasy.
Nasty vile stuff that is.