2014 is a Better draft then 2013?
Ive seen this in so many threads here and on DraftInsider that it warrants mentioning.
While there are "possible" franchise Qbs (Bridgewater) next year and the best pass rusher in the last 20 years to come out of college, how can anyone say that draft is better then this one?
Taking it a step further, why dont we look at it as which draft is the best "FOR THE JETS".
We are not in the top 5, so even if Luck was in this draft we wouldnt get him.
There are few "consensus top 3-5 guys" which means things could unfold in a number of ways and holding the number 9 pick is not terrible by any means as far as finding a pass rusher/OLB (dion jordan, ziggy ansah, mingo) that is the BPA and fits a need or trading down to stockpile picks.
But even moreso for the jets, this draft happens to have a lot of players at positions we need.
1. Multiple guards who will be available in the 2-3rd round area - Yes (warford, winters, barret jones, pugh)
2. A west coast offense QB who will be availabe outside of the top 8 picks.
3. Multiple running backs that will be around from 2-5th area (stephan taylor, gillesee, randle, graham, even lattimore).
4. Some RT prospects that should also be availabe in the mid rounds like jordan mills, ricky wagner, aboushi)
5. A deep safety class that should allow for us to find a safety we like in rounds 3-7 (phillip thomas, cyprien, etc)
6. Decent late round TE options like Fauria, chris pantale, etc that can block.
Obviously, to an extent, there are mid round players at these positions in every draft but it seems like if you are the jets and you need to replace an OLB, at least one guard, find a swing/starting RT, a second string RB, a blocking TE and a safety this is a pretty good draft to address those positions.
Is there a trent richardson, no. Definitely no andrew luck or clowney. But unless you are picking in the top 3 those players dont matter. I think this draft might lack a "marquee superstar" but if you need to build a roster, I think there is a lot to like about the 2013 group