KRL Camp Notes (7/26/13)
Before all of the reports start flying remember this is the media setup during
practice, they are huddled together in one "herd" talking to one another. In
the midst of them talking they'll look up and "catch" a play and tweet about
it. That tweet has absolutely no context behind it so when you read QB
completion stats keep that in mind
- For those who haven't been to camp the practice fields are behind the
school's football stadium
- There are three fields running parallel surrounded by fences and bleachers
for fans. There are two regulation fields and one "mini" field (30 yds)
- As you come in you can go to the souvenir shop or Jets Fest for the kids
- Parking costs $5 and you have to print free tickets off the Jets website for
the practices you'll attend
- To determine which field will have the majority of the action check out
where the camera stands are located
- Players in shorts & shells. The practice jerseys now have names on the
back so its easier to identify players
- Practice ran 2 hours and 10 minutes
- Coach Kotwica is as loud and profane as Westhoff not as funny. He
implemented a new drill for the special teams. They line up along the 10,
20, 30 & 40 yard lines and as 3 players come towards them they are
instructed to avoid the first. Engage and shed the second and tackle the
- There's also a "back to basics" tackling period during warm ups. Every
player rotates between three stations. The first one has Kotwica instructing
on how to tackle in space. The second has Coach Van Gorder (LB's)
teaching on form and how to punch the ball out. The third is Coach
McDonald (DB's) teaching on how to mirror and tackle
- Ivory, Holmes, Goodson didn't practice in addition three others were on
- Its 2009 all over again on defense. Ryan in total control from installing to
teaching defensive theory, in addition the exotic looks and blitzes are back
- A totally shocking practice today. I expected to see the defense in total
control and a ton of screw ups by the offense and I was totally wrong. The
offense was impressive it was innovative the QB's were decisive and the
defense was kept off balance. During the 11 on 11 team periods very few
balls hit the ground. The screen game was particularly impressive with the
way Mornhinweg got the ball to RB's, WR's & TE's in space. And this all took
place with no Ivory, Goodson, Holmes and very little of Edwards. What it
means for the season I don't know but they deserved credit today
- The #1 guards right now are Colon & Peterman
- Edwards didn't get a lot of reps
- Both QB's played well. Sanchez ran with the #1 offense today and was
sharp. During the team periods he had impressive throws to Clyde Gates
(30 yds) and Winslow (25 yds) and didn't make any "visible" mistakes.
Smith was also sharp but he needs to work on his voice calling out signals
(too thin). He had impressive throws to Titus Ryan (20 yd out through a
needle) and to Stephen Hill (40 yds, yes he caught it)
- The #1 defense right now is Wilkerson, Ellis, Richardson, Pace (why?),
Harris, Davis, Coples, Wilson, Allen, Landry & Cro
- Defensive players that flashed today were Richardson (sack) and Coples
(2 flush out sacks)
- Winslow had a good day stretching the middle of the field. His only mistake
was getting one ball punched out from behind and having it returned by
Antonio Garay for a TD
- Danny Lansanah (rookie LB) had a pick 6 against Matt Simms
- Garay also got into a "fight" with JB Shugarts (OL)
- Mcelroy is a nice guy but there's no way he should stick on the roster.
Matt Simms has far more arm talent. There are just too many throws
Mcelroy just can't make
Standouts For The Day
- Mornhinweg and the offensive staff
- Clyde Gates
- The OLine
- Sanchez & Smith
i love you, KRL.
homo to the max.
such a freaking awesome job KRL
Pace is in the starting lineup to hold the forte against the run on early downs. he is a 1 or 2 down LB at this point.
Good to hear that Powell is a standout. Im predicting him for over 1,000 rushing yards this year and 40 - 50 catches. He will be the breakout player on offense.
Kamp Reporting Legend in midseason form already.
besides fa and the draft...........now football has started for me with the KRL notes.
Outstanding as usual krl, thanks! Glad to see the screen game looking nice, considering we haven't had it in our offense the past two years. I had no idea pace was still on the team.
You're awesome. Much appreciated.
I'm so excited to have a competent offensive coaching staff.
Thanks for sharing this,
Maybe the offense will surprise us...
Thanks for the Report KRL. The view from my office window doesn't include Courtland. Your reports keep me in the loop. I appreciate it as do many on here.
This, This, and double This.
Originally Posted by JB1089
KRL I have said it every year you are so good it is scary!!!
I mean the detail and context in which you place these reports is unbelievable!
Thank you so much!!!
Glory, glory, hallelujah !!!
That's awesome about the O surprising ... Great sign for MM!
This can't be overstated.
Originally Posted by JB1089
IMO the Jets former incompetence may have lost any chance Sanchez had of being a serviceable NFL QB (maybe) but I think at a minimum a competent offensive staff bodes well for Mr. Smith!
Awesome stuff KRL! Couldn't believe I was actually reading that the OFFENSE looked good. Cannot wait to see some west coast offense again.
Great Post. Much better Perspective that you get when reading the tweets that often to appear to be copied and pasted between all the writers...
It's really not normal how happy I was to see this thread.
Thanks again, great work.
Who would be in for pace at this point? Sapp?
He deserves to be the starter day 1 as someone has to take it from him. He's no all-pro but he has been a good pro player for a long time and knows this defense in and out. Hopefully sapp's athleticism can come together with knowledge to unseat pace but for now pace should be in there.
Agreed 1000%. Thanks KRl
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
Great job. Much appreciated.
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I guess I have to......This is an average performance, KRL. Its obvious you are just mailing it in, living on your reputation so to speak.
Frankly, I expected better.
(J/k) As always, thanks for the updates!