KRL Camp Notes (7/27/13)
- Players in shorts & shells
- Practice ran 2 hours and 15 minutes
- What a pleasure having fewer people here you can actually hear the
coaches teach instead of some moron screaming for Tebow
- After listening to former coaches, QB's and good evaluators (Mayock)
they've always said there are two ways to get a WR open. First the QB
can "throw them open" and secondly the OC can "scheme them open". We
will see about our QB's, but it sure looks like we finally have an OC
that can scheme people open
- You can see Mornhinweg's ability to scheme players open as you watch
the QB's go through their drills. They are working on moving pockets,
naked bootlegs, rollouts and misdirections. All of these plays have
elements where they go one way and throw back the other way
- You are also seeing the PHI elements of Mornhinweg's playbook in the
routes of the WR's. If you ever watched PHI they would always run
angled crossing patterns with Jackson & Maclin. We were running those
today hopefully we can be as successful
- It was another encouraging practice for the offense. What really
impressed me was the way they recovered and adjusted. Because in the
first 11 on 11 period Rex was throwing all of his blitzes at them.
And at the start the defense dominated with batted passes, pressures
and incompletions. But Mornhinweg adjusted his plays and the offense
began to beat the pressure
- Got a chance to hear Coach Lee (QB) during end of practice drills.
Extremely demanding, he had the QB's run gassers then as they were
dead tired they had to simulate a play and hit a bucket with their
- Both QB's played well again but there were more incompletions
because Rex was bringing the fire. Even though they both played
well Smith had the more explosive splash plays today. Sanchez was
with the #1 offense again and he had one INT during a 7 on 7 period.
During his reps Smith ran a QB option play (RG3) where he took it
to the house (40+ yds). He also hit Gates for a deep TD (40+ yds).
This should be a good competiton
- During WR vs. CB drills these WR's stood out Gates, Marcus Davis
and KJ Stroud. Also during this period Cro and Isiah Trufant had
nice one handed INT's
- Cro was very physical today and got into a "fight" with Vidal
Hazelton (WR) after one play
- During the 7 on 7 period Antonio Allen (S) showed excellent
coverage on Hill and got an INT against Sanchez
- John Griffin (RB) and a new RB Chad Spann flashed during the 11
on 11 periods
- Powell was running the Wildcat again and as I noted before Smith
ran the QB option
- Folk was 3 for 4 on his kicks and Cundiff was 2 for 4 on his from
Standouts For The Day
- Defensive staff for bringing the pressure
- Offensive staff for their adjustments
- Clyde Gates
- Geno Smith
- John Griffin & Chad Spann need to be watched if Goodson doesn't
Thank you...so well written and expressed.
It is nice to get positive reports about the offense. What a difference from last year.
Thanks again KRL, Another great report
Interesting that the QB's did not switch, guess they want to see Geno beat the 2's first
Awesome report. Little surprised Geno was with 2s again. Worried that neither QB is getting enough reps, kinda wished they had adopted the setup that Miami had last year so they could both get more
I want to see how Geno does with first team reps.
Originally Posted by DDNYjets
What a difference from the past 5 years.
Thanks KRL. Now I can get dressed. :D
Very exciting to hear about our new OC and QB Coach. I think John Griffin might be a keeper.
Pretty much a difference from any previous camp report we can remember, no? From all the way back when Hackett was here, we were always fed the line "defense is way ahead of offense at this time of year" to explain why the offense rarely had positives this early.
Originally Posted by DDNYjets
Maybe it was a more simple, "when your OC is garbage, your offense will often look terrible in practice..."
Great stuff as always, KRL. Would love to hear more from you about the safety play if you get a chance - how did Wilson fare? Is Allen leading the race to start opposite Landry?
dang - now I have to change my pants. What a joy to read your well-written reports, K.
I keep saying Marty was our biggest acquisition this year, thanks for the report KRL.
If all things are even, and this trend continues, then Sanchez is winning since he is getting first team reps. Only logical conclusion. Geno needs first team reps to win the competition
Thanks for the update, well done, sounds encouraging thus far.
Originally Posted by Slikmojet
There are too many good things in KRL's report to list. For the first time in several years, I feel like we are heading in the right direction on both sides of the ball.
K, thanks again for a wonderful job.
I haven't heard anything on Hayden Smith. I was looking forward to hearing about him. Is he lining up with the 2's? Any catches?
Full pads and full contact tomorrow, that is usually where the offense struggled in camp in previous years. Would like to see a good showing by the offense tomorrow, would be a great sign.
Awesome once again! Rex said that Geno will get first team reps soon and that all reps will be even in training camp.
What a great job KRL does.
KRL for mod!!!