Just got back from a weekend with the Allmans @ Wanee
Awesome weekend. My quick review:
1. Lynyrd skynrd - these guys were immature. They made arrogant pa statements enticing folks to be ready for the rock and roll hall of famers. Who does that? Either way i have to say it was a great show. They stuck to all the hits and sounded good. They did a lot of gay stuff like point to heaven / jesus and inspire nationalism and southern politics but everyone was singing and dancing. Only one member left, i believe it was gary rossington and it was sad because during free bird he just labored through rhythm without soloing.
2 Umphrey Mcgee - awesome show. Loved em on the big stage. Did a lot of their best tunes. These guys are the future of rock and roll.
2b trey Anastasio - even in phish you were average to me. As a solo act....well, not really a fan. I was surprised how many people cleared out. I guess it was a good time to cook a steak, take a dump, re- roll a few and prepare for the night
3. Allman Bros - great set. Greg sounded strong. What else is there to say? Loved it
4. Aaron Neville - ahhhh the midnight Led Zeppelin show on the small stage. Absolutely rocked the house. All the best of the fastest paced tunes. The kids were dancing up a storm. I was too. Everyone was f'ed up and partying like it was their last day on earth. John popper came out and did black dog and dancing days with them. Wow
1. Chris Robinson brotherhood - every gig needs a disappointment and this act delivered just that. Chris has gotten old, cut his hair and fancies himself a guitarist now. He needs to follow dickkotites rule of soloism: you, and everyone else, sound best with your ORIGINAL band. Just ask sting, bjork, trey or any other who dared to venture out on their own. Just nothing special. Certainly not the black crows.....
2. Tedeshi Trucks band - pretty good set. Ive seen em a few times but im not nuts about them. Still, a good set.
3. Govt Mule - i really wanted to stay, but i had to eat and dump or id miss the brothers. So i didnt watch
4. Allmans - another great set. Greg really had some power in his voice. Sad, but it might be the last allman gig ill ever see in florida or perhaps anywhere else for that matter.
5 Umphreys Mcgee - the midnight show on the small, better stage. I was wasted and expecting their tunes but they played ONLY covers for 2solid hours. I was in the First Row, center. AMAZING. This might have been one of the 4 or 5 BEST gigs ive ever seen in my life. They opened with bob marleys exodus, going into some talking heads. Then some stones, led zeps celebration day, the greatest part were the guests that joined em....the guitarist from Lettuce. Followed by john popper who wasunreal. Right in front of me. Then, out comes warren Hayes and they did some police covers. I was so close to warren i could see his wrinkles. He has wild eyebrows too.
For the encore, how about van halens running with the devil followed by the beatles i need you so bad. WOW! The guitarist in that band might be the best guitarist in music today. Justoutstanding and makes it look effortless