And here is a JBF quote from Aug 19th. Sadly I do agree with some of #4:
Here is why I am encouraged by the outlook of this season:
1. The Jankees have proven they can easily beat up on the Baltimores, Tampa Bays, and Tigers of the MLB...and we're all very impressed considering their combined payrolls do not exceed ONE FIFTEENTH of fat george's. However, the Yankees simply cannot beat the better MLB teams this season . They have lost 4 straight series to playoff contenders, Boston , Oakland, Seattle, Kansas City respectively!!! That's scary stuff, even for the most ardent Yankee mark on here....cough...Maxman...cough...!!!
2. Contrary to what the marks are saying, Mariano Rivera is far from automatic this year...and the rest of the once vaunted NYY bullpen is a high-wire act to say the least.
3. Their geriatric pitching staff is the best 5 in baseball...which assures them a playoff spot, but many other contenders have significantly better studs (Pedro, Zito, Mulder, Hudson, Moyer, Garcia, Meche) who NYY cannot realistically counter in a 5 game series.
4. Opposing pitchers seemed to have figured out Alphonso Soriano, whose prolonged slump has now officially become a "disappointing year." Without him getting on base, NYY is DONE!!!
5. Now that Joe Torre has to actually manage instead of sitting on the bench for 6 straight years and picking his HUGE nose, we are all seeing that he may not have a Midas touch at all...in fact, he may be detrimental to NYY