[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4432711]Without getting into 2700 pagesof stupidity (why should any law be this long), there are a few points.
1. Anybody without some health insurance is an idiot. But don't force people to buy it.
2. No organization should have to treat a person who can not pay. I can't buy food without money or gas.
3. No person WITH insurance should ever be dropped because they become ill.
4. Pre existing condition. There should be a waiting period before insurance coverage kicks in on THAT medical condition.
5. Certain things should be covered. Mammogram, PAP smear, prostate, But not overdone. Already too many tests.
6. Coverage to age 26. Why? I can see 22 - the end to college if one attends. Why 26. If still in school, get the school's plan. Or get a job with insurance.
7. Birth control. If a plan includes it. Religious groups should have the option. But why just BC. What about a drug which is necessary to maintain life. A bit more important, no? People who have a thyroid problem - millions - need thyroid replacement meds or they wii DIE. There are other conditions similar. The BC thing is pandering to women. BC is pretty cheap - $10/month. That's 2 drinks or a couple packs of smokes.
8. Tort reform. Let's control costs.
9. Fraud. Brutal penalties. Harsh fines well above the fraud value, jail, confiscation of personal property. I am talking doctors, hospitals and patients here.[/QUOTE]
I strongly disagree with #7. Here in NY Smokes or a drink cost about $10 for one. So BC actually costs about the same as one pack of smokes or one drink at a bar. Actually you can get the BC for $5 at most pharmacies including Wallmart. So in essence BC costs half the price of a pack of smokes or half the price of a drink at a bar.
Another interesting thing is that Pharmacies offer certain drugs at discounts due to competition factors. Since insurance would cover the cost in full it wouldn't suprise me to see the cost for insurance companies be much much higher than it currently is for consumers. It is a lose lose situation as are most items when Government pandering is involved.