Originally Posted by Manchez
What I thought was blatantly obvious about Howard's play compared to Hunter's:
1. Much quicker feet.. did a great job keeping the DE in front of him and kept the DE further away from the QB as he blocked him around the pocket
2. Better balance... never got spun around or knocked off balance
3. He got into his blocks better and used his hands effectively
4. He did a much better job switching off blocks than Hunter
5. He did a good job getting into his first block and then getting to the second level
6. He seems much stronger and his athleticism is so much better it jumps off the screen at you.
7. Mark was never in danger of getting murdered by any of his assignments
I know it's just one half of one game, but the kid has a lot of positives to take away from it.
Agreed and he was a breath of freash air at RT for us. You wrote a very good post and you should be thanked for it! I enjoyed reading it. I am sick of all the" realists "that have the need to remind everyone that it was only one game. I hope its the start of many more good games from Howard. So many of these guys yelled about Mr.T all off season for not getting a RT. Many here told them that may be he thinks Howard is the answer and they went ballistic. Well after ONE game where Howard played well at RT they now feel they have to remind us that it was only one game!
In any event I am glad that Hunter has been traded and that we will have a new, talented OLman to work into our scheme. Smith just might be better suited to be an OG with his super quick feet and ability to maul opponents in the run game. At 6ft5 and 310 lets hope so! GO JETS!