Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy
Let's assume we fire Tannenbaum. Why would any promising GM candidate choose the Jets over the Chiefs, Chargers, Panthers, etc.?
1) We have a meddlesome owner who likes to have input on the high-profile transactions (or potential transactions) of a team
2) We already have a head coach who I suspect the vast majority of good GM candidates would not want as their HC -- he has lost the team for two years in a row and shows no sign of knowing how to run a team other than by knowing how to run a defense
3) We don't have a franchise quarterback, or even a quarterback of the future.
4) Next year we have 3 players -- David Harris, Sanchez, Holmes -- that are making nearly $40m. These players are basically worth jack ****t. Sanchez if cut adds another $4-5M in dead money, and is not going to help the Jets field an above-average (or average) offense. Holmes is a locker room cancer that no other team wanted at a bargain salary, let alone coming off an injury and making $13M. And Harris is a fine player but drastically overpaid.
5) The team's best player is coming off an ACL injury, has a huge contract, and is likely to show up on the GM's door two seconds after he's hired asking for a new contract.
To recap: the team has no players to build around but a ton of money invested in worthless players, a meddlesome owner, and a coach that's on a career path that crashing planes think looks steep. Oh, and he has to deal with the NY media and the Giants, and the Patriots in the division.
GMs aren't like coaches -- if they fail, they don't become OCs, succeed, and get another crack at a HC job. They basically only get one shot, and GMs by their nature are more cautious and calculating than coaches. So why would a hotshot, rising, up-and-coming GM candidate pick the Jets?
Looking for serious answers here because I don't see any.
[If Woody agrees, I could see the team bringing back Mr. T, Rex and Sanchez, because at least after the season the job is somewhat attractive to potential candidates - he can then pick his HC, cut Sanchez/Holmes at low cost, and truly rebuild.]