there's a lot more to this decision than just "Mark gives us the best chance to win." <- whether Rex truly believes that statement, it's IRRELEVANT.
Right now (& for at least 2 more years) The Jets are STUCK with Sanchez on the roster. They can't just bench him and say "we F'ed that draft pick up" and also say "This dude can't play in the NFL- we were wrong" and ALSO say "We now know he's worth NOTHING, so why even play him."
What's happening here is:
1) Can Mark Sanchez grow a pair of balls and ANSWER BACK to his benching? or will he fail miserably and have shattered confidence?
2) An 'Audition' for other teams seeking a QB still exists because the Jets have 'clearly' not lost faith in their starting QB.
3) If McElroy got the start and threw 3 INTs in the first half- things would just get worse (same for Tebow).
4) I think they want to play Tebow this week (as the wildcat) -- They don't want to be pulling McElroy for Tebow just yet.
5) Sanchez deserves to fight for the job back.