Originally Posted by Timmy®
This is a nice cheap(er) guitar because the pickups are really good. Fender won't admit it, but people have figured out that the Squire Classic Vibe line of pickups are made by Tonerider - a respected manufacturer of entry level
Squire is the entry level line of Fender.
lockjet, i dont wanna sound cocky but i feel that my advice is going to be the best. I strongly disagree with a lot being said here. listen up:
1. NO acoustics. They are boring. They hurt. Why torture the kid?
2. Spend 275 on a guitar and 25 on an amp. why? simple. The fact is that there are guitars out there in the mid to high 200's that are actually REALLY GOOD guitars. good enough that even a great, serious player like myself would not complain finishing up my life owning just that one if i was forced to. this is where you need to put the bulk of your $$$ into. doesnt it make sense to wind up with a guitar that is great to start out on PLUS, if he becomes serious, it is still good enough to keep around as a second/backup guitar? as for an amp, at this price range you cant have any amp that will be loud enough to play in a band/gig with so you just need to have one to get room volume to practice and play along with records to. if he becomes serious, then buy a real amp in a year or two. if you spend 300 on a guitar and amp evenly you will have a crappy amp and guitar down the line.
3. ok, guitars. Timmy was right on the money with :
1. new fender classic vibe series - plays like butter, pretty, feels great, sounds good too under 300
2. used fender mexican strat - 300 ....maybe under. excellent guitars even if you are a pro. worth looking for
3. new fender squire telecasters at $179. i own one. it holds tune perfect, plays like butter, sounds and feels real nice. UNREAL value. Ive played gigs with it with my collection of ($1500-$2200) les paul(s) as backups behind me on stands just because it feels good and its fun.
4. Used ESP LTD MH-250, 275, 300 and up. OK, no joke. These LTDs were made in indonesia and REEK of quality. I own 2. one i paid 159 bucks for at a pawn shop and it included a case and the previous owner upgraded to emg 81/85 active pickups. My other 250 i paid $200 used but it was stock. These guitars play and feel like they should be $1500 guitars. I LOVE them. SUPER fast neck-through-body design. If you can find one and he like it, but it. as a matter of fact i was in guitar center in tampa and there are 2 used ones for like 300ish. gorgeous....i cant say enough.
Ibanez and Jackson make a slew of really nice 250-300 guitars that play, feel,sound good that can be kept forever
Heres whats NOT TO BUY:
Epiphones - just the worst. they look good. thats about it. nothing says "im a sucker...and im broke" more than an epiphone. AVOID. Just because they look good doesnt mean they are good. UGH. Maybe the WORST playing guitars ever build. I just dont understand why they are popular.
brownsville - seriously?
anything else - why bother? i already gave you tons of options above
I have a little practice amp thats doing nothing. you can have it. i work in dade city. the best thing u can do is spend it all on a USED guitar. Guitar center in tampa has a ton of good stuff. dont mail order anything....thats nutty. good luck