Originally Posted by GenoT
There are so many teams in need of a corner of his caliber, its hard for me to believe, that we can't get a first, and possibly a second also. Even if there are only three teams interested, they'll be somewhat of a bidding war for his sevices
Geno, A team that trades for revis for the value of a #1 will need to have a deal in place before the deal is finalized. No team is going to give a #1 to rent him for a season. Revis will not sign an extension unless it makes him along the lines of 6 and 75mill with 1/2 guranteed.
Now to his value or what limits it.
1. He costs the jets 9 mill in cap room to trade
2. They are not that many teams with 13 mill of cap room to get it done.
3. Any team that plays a zone, Revis is just a Cadillac in a demolition derby
4. There are not many coaches/GMs that want to make corner the highest paid player on the team.
5. To get an idea of how money affects trade value. Samuel and Vontae Davis are similar skill corners, ie some probowl consideration. Samuel had to take a cut to get to 3 mill in order for the eagles to get a 6th. Because he only wanted to go to a contender, Davis got a 2nd (which at the time of the trade was thought to be a top of the 2nd) as his contract was for 2 more years at 1 mill each.
6. no team is going to trade for Revis (your value) without seeing him on the field 1st. that means next summer way after the draft