Originally Posted by SAR I
Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.
I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.
There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.
This is the most reasonable post you've had regarding Sanchez. I agree that there's a 70% chance he sucks. The truth is, Sanchez did play extremely well in the playoffs and held his own in both the AFCCG losses. He spotted the D a lead against Indy that they couldn't hold and came back strong after getting down big in the first half against Pitt (although I still think the fumble before the half for a Pitt TD was actually an incomplete pass). That gives one last glimmer of hope for Sanchez, but we also have to remember that was 2 years ago and the mental breakdown he has shown since is why the odds are so high that he's done. With no sure-thing franchise QB available via the draft or free agency, I won't be surprised if he ends up starting for the Jets next season. I still don't think we have anything long-term in McElroy, and Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. Matt Moore I think is the best stop-gap option to actually challenge or replace Sanchez next year and we need to set our sights on 2014 being the year to get a real QB if Sanchez can't right the ship.