Originally Posted by Warfish
It's a combination of factors:
1. Sanchez's cost and low-market-value. It's all-but-insurmountable.
NO, its just DEAD MONEY. Indy had the most dead money ever this year, and Seattle started a third round rookie essentially rendering FLynn's money as dead money. The tide is changing on sticking to a QB purely because of investment
2. Rex's affection and faith in Mark. Rex may believe that Mark will thrive under the NEW system in ways he couldn't under Shotty/Sparano.
I think this is a possibility with Rex especially and I even wrote a mock press conference where he announces it, but Mark almost got him fired. Who knows? He may have saved his job saying to Woody he would not start Mark again. Sanchez got NO vote of confidence from Rex and Woddy
3. A lack of external options. Options that might be acceptable cost too much. Options that do not cost too much are generally unacceptable.
You do not really know this. Some of the "weak QB class" may separate themselves in the Jets eyes and be drafted to start, even outside of the 1st round. Flynn is a definite possibility, he could be signed with almost no cap hit.
4. Building the future, generally, doesn't involve bringing in veteran jag journeymen for one-year stints when you have an uncuttable, untradeable veteran jag already ont he roster at a massive cap figure.
I agree, I see them starting Flynn (possibly Smith) or a drafted rookie. I do not see them going the veteran retread route
5. We're all buy guaranteed to draft a QB, and probably not high either. A mid-rounder won't be given the #1 job, and probably won't beat out Sanchez in camp. Sanchez would have to fail, alot, to lose the job to a rookie.
Again conjecture I do not agree with. Foles started this year as did Wilson. If they like a QB, even if they draft him in the 2nd or lower I think they will start him. I do not think Sanchez will be here to compete, and DO NOT think he would win a legitimate competition with anyone.
6. A wily GM will see that a failed Rex/Sanchez 2013 offers him a perfect clean slate in 2014 and beyond, new Coach, new QB, both selected by HIM. His team, not Tanny/Rex's. He won't seek that out on purpose, but if he's as smart as he is reported, he'll use it to his advantage if it comes to pass.
That same GM will realize he gets the same clean slate starting a rookie he drafts, maybe even a cleaner slate.
It's a Perfect Storm. Mark Sanchez will be the #1 opening day. I disagree, I think he will be releases as a June 1 cut. I would be less surprised by Tebow starting to be honest, though I am pretty sure he is cut too