Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I agree. The problem lies in the fact that I really don't have much leverage in this situation. The job for which I'm waiting on pays about 35% more annually than what I'm making now. I don't want for him to call my bluff and tell me to move on if I play the "I have another offer" card. I really want this job, as I don't see myself finding another opportunity like this (in terms of pay) any time soon.
I'm willing to wait this out, I'm just trying to find a way to get the ball rolling without sounding like, as one poster so eloquently put it, "a crazy ex-girlfriend."
What you do have the power to do is take less, as those are likely the offers being entertained with you...
Two problems though... You can't directly say you'll take less because you don't want to seem desperate (although, no offense, it's a little late for that) and most importantly, you don't know the real holdup. It could literally be pending capital on their part... There's no way of knowing unless you have contacts built up elsewhere. That's why entertaining other offers in the same sector is a great idea. You can learn a ton about your prospective employer in those interviews if you ask the right questions and use it as a fallback plan if need be...