Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Rather (and the lib-MSM's) Well-Earned Fear

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Rather (and the lib-MSM's) Well-Earned Fear

September 21, 2005 -- IN a speech Monday at Fordham University School of Law in Manhattan, Dan Rather claimed there was a "new journalism order": politicians applying pressure to news conglomerates, "dumbed-down, tarted-up" news coverage, 24-hour cable competition and a "chase for rating and demographics" — all of which creates an "atmosphere of fear" in newsrooms greater than anything he has seen in his four-decade career.

[B]What kind of fear? Certainly not the fear of broadcasting "inaccurate" stories, such as Rather's own bogus report on the president's National Guard service. Not the fear of journalistic bias as in the mainstream media's attempt to blame the president for absolutely everything that went wrong with the regard to the Katrina disaster.

And certainly not the fear of unbalanced coverage, such as the virtual blackout of positive news regarding the War on Terror. [/B]

The "fear" in newsrooms is all about the undoing of unbridled arrogance that comes with a loss of power. It is about the competition of ideas engendered by a raft of new media challenging the near-monopoly status quo formerly enjoyed by network news "icons" such as Rather himself.

It is about an American public that now knows that the slogan "the most trusted man in America," once used to describe Walter Cronkite, no longer applies to any member of the mainstream media.

The worst fear of all? They have no one to blame but themselves.

[url]http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/53734.htm[/url]

----------------------------------

Quite timely considering the tone on the board today...I must say...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]"The "fear" in newsrooms is all about the undoing of unbridled arrogance that comes with a loss of power. It is about the competition of ideas engendered by a raft of new media challenging the near-monopoly status quo formerly enjoyed by network news "icons" such as Rather himself.

It is about an American public that now knows that the slogan "the most trusted man in America," once used to describe Walter Cronkite, no longer applies to any member of the mainstream media."[/B]

Right through the heart. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey i hope you guys have fun dancing on the body of a man who has been kicked to the ground.

I mean yeah why deal with the harsh reality of all of Bush's failures when you can pile-on an unemployed and disgraced FORMER member of the EVIL LIBERAL Media?!

Hey maybe Dan Rather is the anti-Christ! has anyone checked the lower half of his body for goat's hooves?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum][B]"The "fear" in newsrooms is all about the undoing of unbridled arrogance that comes with a loss of power. It is about the competition of ideas engendered by a raft of new media challenging the near-monopoly status quo formerly enjoyed by network news "icons" such as Rather himself.

It is about an American public that now knows that the slogan "the most trusted man in America," once used to describe Walter Cronkite, no longer applies to any member of the mainstream media."[/B]

Right through the heart. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Considering all the sh!t that's been pointed out as complete lies in the past year, (right down to Aaron Broussard's classic performance on Meet the Press a few weeks ago), can you imagine what they (MSM) got away with previously??

Don't worry- some lib will come up with a completely ignorant response to justify their behavior!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]Considering all the sh!t that's been pointed out as complete lies in the past year, (right down to Aaron Broussard's classic performance on Meet the Press a few weeks ago), can you imagine what they (MSM) got away with previously??

Don't worry- some lib will come up with a completely ignorant response to justify their behavior![/QUOTE]

Excellent points, CBNY.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You embrace the so-called "New Media" as the messiah of truth crushing the bastion of dishonesty (Liberal media). But I think we all know that the new media is no more honest than the old. Their bias is quite a bit more extreme than the "Old Media", and it simply slants the other way.

Beyond that, neither is particularly interested in the truth. They only are interested in two things: Rating and their own side of the political agenda.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]You embrace the so-called "New Media" as the messiah of truth crushing the bastion of dishonesty (Liberal media). But I think we all know that the new media is no more honest than the old. Their bias is quite a bit more extreme than the "Old Media", and it simply slants the other way.

Beyond that, neither is particularly interested in the truth. They only are interested in two things: Rating and their own side of the political agenda.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on the agenda account, no doubt- but it had been lopsided towards the left for decades prior...

As far as your "truth" accusation-

Until a "conservative" network, let's say Foxnews (by the way- the only one out there and the only one that continually offers both sides of view) is caught with there pants around their ankles like See B.S. was with the fake documents, like Newsweak was with their BS story on Koran's being flushed, like NBC was after Peter Arnett told the Iraqi commanders that US military officers were going back to the drawing board as Sadaam's defenses had stymied the American offensive, or like CNN who went ahead with a bogus documentary some 15 years ago accusing the American military of using sarin gas against GI's who defected to Laos (another Peter Arnett gem) you have no basis for that statement....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I totally agree with you on the agenda account, no doubt- but it had been lopsided towards the left for decades prior...

As far as your "truth" accusation-

Until a "conservative" network, let's say Foxnews (by the way- the only one out there and the only one that continually offers both sides of view) is caught with there pants around their ankles like See B.S. was with the fake documents, like Newsweak was with their BS story on Koran's being flushed, like NBC was after Peter Arnett told the Iraqi commanders that US military officers were going back to the drawing board as Sadaam's defenses had stymied the American offensive, or like CNN who went ahead with a bogus documentary some 15 years ago accusing the American military of using sarin gas against GI's who defected to Laos (another Peter Arnett gem) you have no basis for that statement....[/QUOTE]

Only two comments:

FoxNews is NOT the "New Media". In terms of NEWS (not opinion), they are a Mildly Conservative version of the Old Media, in every single way. Only there opinion shows come close to "New Media" status.

The New Media has been wrong (and amazingly so) a number of times. However, since the Mainstream Media likes to pretend the "New Media" doesn't exist, and the Democrats simply ignore it or try to replicate it, there is no real coverage when a Hannity or a Limbaugh makes a massive error or makes a rediculous claim. Air America might say something....but no one listens to Air America.

You want one "Pants around the ankles" story, sure, Rush Limbaugh makes multiple on-air comments that "All Drug Abusers should go to Jail for Long Sentences" then gets busted for doing illegal drugs (and the ONLY reason he isn't in jail today is because of who he is).

I'm not defending the Old Media here CB, as they are undefendable, but I refuse to drink at the poison trough of the "New Media" either. Their version of the Truth is clearly deeply politicized and biased to the very extreme. To call out the Old Media as Biased and NOT admit the obvious bias of the "New Media" is horribly intellectually dishonest.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Only two comments:

FoxNews is NOT the "New Media". In terms of NEWS (not opinion), they are a Mildly Conservative version of the Old Media, in every single way. Only there opinion shows come close to "New Media" status.

The New Media has been wrong (and amazingly so) a number of times. However, since the Mainstream Media likes to pretend the "New Media" doesn't exist, and the Democrats simply ignore it or try to replicate it, there is no real coverage when a Hannity or a Limbaugh makes a massive error or makes a rediculous claim. Air America might say something....but no one listens to Air America.

You want one "Pants around the ankles" story, sure, Rush Limbaugh makes multiple on-air comments that "All Drug Abusers should go to Jail for Long Sentences" then gets busted for doing illegal drugs (and the ONLY reason he isn't in jail today is because of who he is).

I'm not defending the Old Media here CB, as they are undefendable, but I refuse to drink at the poison trough of the "New Media" either. Their version of the Truth is clearly deeply politicized and biased to the very extreme. To call out the Old Media as Biased and NOT admit the obvious bias of the "New Media" is horribly intellectually dishonest.[/QUOTE]

But your post was about the "truth".....the situations I presented from NBC/CBS/CNN were outright lies with enough advanced warning that those networks should not have gone with the stories....

I do not doubt the "new media" will twist things in their direction- it is human nature.

Yet what they have done, more then anything else, is expose the lies and hypocrisies of the arrogant alphabet networks. To someone like myself who hates the liberal media that is worth its' weight in gold- if someone is an "independent" they should stand up and applaud for helping to expose the truth.....

And more then anything else I point to the See B.S. fraud story about the President's National Guard story...literally hours after the story was presented on prime-time television Free Republic.com posted the documents were fake- when I brought that to this board a former lib who posted here (JetsFanNC or something like that) laughed like I was an idiot...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-22-2005 at 10:29 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]But your post was about the "truth".....the situations I presented from NBC/CBS/CNN were outright lies with enough advanced warning that those networks should not have gone with the stories....

I do not doubt the "new media" will twist things in their direction- it is human nature.

Yet what they have done, more then anything else, is expose the lies and hypocrisies of the arrogant alphabet networks. To someone like myself who hates the liberal media that is worth its' weight in gold- if someone is an "independent" they should stand up and applaud for helping to expose the truth.....

And more then anything else I point to the See B.S. fraud story about the President's National Guard story...literally hours after the story was presented on prime-time television Free Republic.com posted the documents were fake- when I brought that to this board a former lib who posted here (JetsFanNC or something like that) laughed like I was an idiot...[/QUOTE]

I understand the value of this "New Media" (btw, I'm sorry, but Radio Talk shows are NOT New Media at all.....Blogs are (sort of), but not radio...they need a better more accurate name IMO) in exposing dishonesty in Mainstream Network News.

However, that benifit is, to some degree, offset by the extreme division such Media propagates. It is no suprise that we are as divided as ever today, given the "New Media's" politicization of every single issue, and their absolute hatred of their "opponent" and unwillingness to compromise on any issue.

As you know from our past conversations CBTNY, I try to have multiple News sources available, from FOXNews.com, to CNN.com (a great pair IMO to get a neutral view by combining the two) as well as listening to Rush/Hannity/Savage (the Right's View). To be fair, I don;t listen to Air America much (doesn't come in well in NoVA), so I miss much of THEIR "New Media" attacks, but what I have heard has been as rediculously over-the-top and angry and hateful as anything the Right has to offer.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]I understand the value of this "New Media" (btw, I'm sorry, but Radio Talk shows are NOT New Media at all.....Blogs are (sort of), but not radio...they need a better more accurate name IMO) in exposing dishonesty in Mainstream Network News.

However, that benifit is, to some degree, offset by the extreme division such Media propagates. It is no suprise that we are as divided as ever today, given the "New Media's" politicization of every single issue, and their absolute hatred of their "opponent" and unwillingness to compromise on any issue.

As you know from our past conversations CBTNY, I try to have multiple News sources available, from FOXNews.com, to CNN.com (a great pair IMO to get a neutral view by combining the two) as well as listening to Rush/Hannity/Savage (the Right's View). To be fair, I don;t listen to Air America much (doesn't come in well in NoVA), so I miss much of THEIR "New Media" attacks, but what I have heard has been as rediculously over-the-top and angry and hateful as anything the Right has to offer.[/QUOTE]

Take Rush Limbaugh vile right wing attitude, add a lot of bullsh!t and "make stuff up as we go along" as well as just plain bad radio then square it- that's Err America in a nutshell....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Take Rush Limbaugh vile right wing attitude, add a lot of bullsh!t and "make stuff up as we go along"[/QUOTE]

.....and youve got Rush Limbaugh! FAUX NEWS! Sean Hannity! and Bill O reilly!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]I understand the value of this "New Media" (btw, I'm sorry, but Radio Talk shows are NOT New Media at all.....Blogs are (sort of), but not radio...they need a better more accurate name IMO) in exposing dishonesty in Mainstream Network News.

[/QUOTE]

like this:

[QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.chronwatch.com/content/images-uploaded/ba_war_protest_calif_can104.jpg[/IMG]

[B]The Face of a Democrat, and a Liar
    Written by John Armor
    Monday, September 26, 2005[/B]

On 26 September the Associated Press ran the photograph below on its wire service, with the titles, “Thousands Protest the Iraq War,” and “Jeb Eddy joins thousands of demonstrators to protest the war in Iraq on Saturday.” This photo was taken by Noah Berger, who presumably also obtained the information for the cut lines run with the photo. The impression of Mr. Eddy, his sign, and the AP photograph of both, is that Mr. Eddy is a disgruntled Republican. This impression is a deliberate lie, which the AP should have caught.

Source: SFGate.com

A Google search finds a Jeb Eddy, software writer and author in Palo Alto. A search of Federal Election Commission records shows that Mr. Eddy made the following political contributions: to John Kerry for President, $250 on 5/23/04, and six contributions to the Democrat National Committee of either $250 or $500 between 9/25/98 and 2/25/04.

Mr. Eddy may LOOK like the false image of a Republican – older, white, wealthy male, with a craggy face that’s been out in the sun, and the touch of silver in his hair. But he is no such thing. He is a Democrat.

He’s pretended to be a disgruntled Republican before, in a demonstration joined to a speech by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi in the San Francisco Library to attack President Bush’s proposals for Social Security reform, in February. SFGate.com reported Eddy as saying:

“ ‘This is one of the most visible ways in which the Republicans are misleading America,’ said Jeb Eddy of Palo Alto, who carried a sign proclaiming that he was ‘ashamed’' of the GOP on the topic.” That article then referred to “Margaret Garvin of San Francisco, another registered Republican.” While this author doesn’t know the bona fides of Ms. Gavin, this reference suggests that Eddy represented himself as a registered Republican.

Don’t the reporters of these false-Republican appearances by Mr. Eddy have computers? Don’t they know how to push the buttons for a Google search, or an FEC records search? These things are really simple.

Or, perhaps the reporters have the personal view that Republicans should be trashed on public issues, and that a photograph of a disgruntled Republican is an excellent way to accomplish the desired result. In any event, the reporters did not check him out. And since Mr. Eddy has played this game before, it seems he is counting on the press not to do its job, and help him get away with his public lies.

So, look at this face. It is the face of Democrat dishonesty. It is also the face of complicity of the press in promoting the lie, by not bothering to check out the truth of the “facts” of the person in the photo.

About the Writer: John Armor is a First Amendment lawyer and writer who lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. John receives e-mail at [email]John_Armor@aya.yale.edu[/email].
    [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]You embrace the so-called "New Media" as the messiah of truth crushing the bastion of dishonesty (Liberal media). But I think we all know that the new media is no more honest than the old. Their bias is quite a bit more extreme than the "Old Media", and it simply slants the other way.

Beyond that, neither is particularly interested in the truth. They only are interested in two things: Rating and their own side of the political agenda.[/QUOTE]

That's mostly true except I think your opinion about the "New Media" being "A BIT MORE EXTREME" than the "Old Media". I think the extremity level all depends on where you sit political scale. I personally don't really think the this "New Media" is as extreme as the "Old". Maybe it only SEEMS extreme because we're SO used to hearing the "old" propaganda.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you guys cared half as much about the leaders in charge than the media that covers them, maybe our country wouldn't be run by corrupt and mediocre fools.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]if you guys cared half as much about the leaders in charge than the media that covers them, maybe our country wouldn't be run by corrupt and mediocre fools.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone here DOES care about the leaders. We don't WANT another corrupt leader in office like we did the last 8 years of the 90s. That's why we need to make sure that the media coverage of our leaders and potential leaders IS honest and not slanted in one way or the other. A swayed public opinion could put us RIGHT back where we were.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]I think everyone here DOES care about the leaders. We don't WANT another corrupt leader in office like we did the last 8 years of the 90s. That's why we need to make sure that the media coverage of our leaders and potential leaders IS honest and not slanted in one way or the other. A swayed public opinion could put us RIGHT back where we were.[/QUOTE]

watch out.....he's gonna quote some poll of 1000 people to prove you wrong!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]watch out.....he's gonna quote some poll of 1000 people to prove you wrong!![/QUOTE]

and that would be welcome. I just shake my head whenever anyone on either side of the fence (and I absolutely HATE that there IS a fence) calls their opinions FACT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's ridiculous that every new post is about the media. Why don't you guys answer my thread about gov't handing out no bid contracts?

You'd rather talk about the media than the actual gov't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]it's ridiculous that every new post is about the media. Why don't you guys answer my thread about gov't handing out no bid contracts?

You'd rather talk about the media than the actual gov't.[/QUOTE]

I been busy in the Landing Strip - but you knew that. ;)