Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane hitting Texas.

Hurricane hitting Texas.

Couldn't be in a worse place for Bush. Even if the state sustatins major damage people will still come up with some b.s. saying they were safer because Bush is from TX.

I honestly don't think so.

The Governor of Texas is a Republican.

Category [B]5[/B] Hurricane Rita!!!!

Hurricane Katrina was a Cagetory 4.
    Last edited by AlbanyJet; 09-21-2005 at 05:54 PM.

So NOW is our chance to bail out of Iraq. Everyone agree?

"Uh, yeah, Iraq. Listen, we kind of had two major hurricanes back in the States and those babies cost us a lot of money. We also need our soldiers to help in clean up. So, we pretty much have to wrap things up here NOW - BYE!!"

we are stuck between a rock and a hard place

if Rita hits Texas we are looking at billions of damages/rebuilding and likely 5 dollars per gallon nationwide.

if Rita takes a turn and hits Louisiana, forget about it, New Orleans will be nothing more than a memory.

wherever this beast hits land it will NOT be good.

All League
    I hope it turns straight for New Orleans and completly wipes it off the map so my taxdollars don't go to rebuilding people's houses in an area prone for disaster.

(An actual quote from one of my Republican co-workers.)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15]I hope it turns straight for New Orleans and completly wipes it off the map so my taxdollars don't go to rebuilding people's houses in an area prone for disaster.

(An actual quote from one of my Republican co-workers.)[/QUOTE]

And you know, we all think like that. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    I don't wish destruction on anyone - so his comment about hoping ti would wipe NO off the map was foolish and wrong, IMO, but I also have a problem with paying for people to make foolish decisions. Building a city like NO is a stupid thing to do, and I don't feel like I should have to pay for it and to assume any risk for something I won't benefit from. The government pays people back all the time. For example, if you build a house on a coast and that house gets wiped out in a storm, the government just pays you for it. So people just keep rebuilding and rebuilding in high-risk areas because hey, everyone else gets to assume their risk for them. It's a joke. Hurricanes are predictable in that they tend to strike the same areas over time. People in Florida get paid for the houses they lose...paid by the government, as well as insurance companies! They get paid even if they have NO insurance! So, why would they ever stop bulding there, when they know they'll just get paid back no matter what? Why would they ever pay for a good insurance policy, when they know that Uncle Sam can just rob money from us to bail them out?

Let's rebuild NO again, so that it can get destroyed and rebuilt again and again - that sounds like a smart idea - hey, raise my taxes to do it! Yippee!!

Hey, if a group of people want to do that and live there in NO, fine. But let THEM assume that risk and cost, not me. They chose to do it, let it be [I]their[/I] thing. I think it's a dumb, inefficient, dangerous thing to do and I don't want my money stolen from me to subsidize the foolish and supid decisions of others. It's a form of tyranny!
    Last edited by jets5ever; 09-22-2005 at 09:14 AM.

5ever there is some wisdom in what you post but remember it's not just about citizens and their dwellings. What about LOOP? What about all those refineries?

We can't move deep sea ports 150 miles inland so they aren't hurricane prone.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]5ever there is some wisdom in what you post but remember it's not just about citizens and their dwellings. What about LOOP? What about all those refineries?

We can't move deep sea ports 150 miles inland so they aren't hurricane prone.[/QUOTE]

True enough, but we don't need a million residents in a city at that sea port. The private sector will make do, trust me.

Honestly, Bit...think about this: - You see how badly the government botched the Katrina response, you see how the government botches homeland security, and regardless of whether or not someone supports the decision to go into Iraq, it is beyond argument (IMO) that the government has botched that, too. They have ruined the education system, and Social Security is going to go bankrupt.

My question is, in light of all that, how could any person want MORE government? How could anyone trust the government to run healthcare? Why would anyone want to pay more in taxes to fund and perpetuate this incompetence?

I, for one, am getting fed up. I've had about all I can take of this Big Government crap. I supported Bush 100% in Iraq, but they've f*cked it up, possibly beyond repair. I support his SS reform plan, but he's too poor of a communicator to sell people on it. I can't stand his big government spending, his terrible immigration stance, the fact that he's made government bigger. The only thing I care about right now, the only reason I still prefer Bush in there over Kerry is the Supreme Court nominees. Bush will nominate another for O'Connor and possibly another for Stevens, and that is fine. I am happy so far with his picks, but who knows? I was happy with Souter at the time and look at how that turned out.

I think I am done with the GOP. In 1998, I left them temporarily because they lost their minds with the impeachment nonsense. I returned to them mostly because the Democrats are so terrible.

But I'm not taking the lesser of two evils anymore, mostly because I cna't even decide which one is lesser anymore. They both completely suck in different ways and neither one of them knows what they are doing.

Libertarian for me. If you are gong to be stupid, inefficient, corrupt and lazy, take less of my money doing it! Small government.

F*ck Bush and f*ck the GOP. After these SC nominees get confirmed, I don't need the GOP anymore - screw 'em, I'm done. This garbage about those Iraqi bastards stealing that money is the last straw. I'm out - I'm done supporting the war, I'm done defending Bush and I am done pretending he's doing a good job. Later for the GOP....

(I am being deadly serious about this....I may be fiercely against abortion, but I LOATHE big government WASTE and incompetence much more!!!!)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

"Preparations for Rita seem to exceed those for Katrina" said Rebecca Kirszner, a spokeswoman for Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada, who called anew for an independent panel to investigate.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I don't wish destruction on anyone - so his comment about hoping ti would wipe NO off the map was foolish and wrong, IMO, but I also have a problem with paying for people to make foolish decisions. Building a city like NO is a stupid thing to do, and I don't feel like I should have to pay for it and to assume any risk for something I won't benefit from. The government pays people back all the time. For example, if you build a house on a coast and that house gets wiped out in a storm, the government just pays you for it. So people just keep rebuilding and rebuilding in high-risk areas because hey, everyone else gets to assume their risk for them. It's a joke. Hurricanes are predictable in that they tend to strike the same areas over time. People in Florida get paid for the houses they lose...paid by the government, as well as insurance companies! They get paid even if they have NO insurance! So, why would they ever stop bulding there, when they know they'll just get paid back no matter what? Why would they ever pay for a good insurance policy, when they know that Uncle Sam can just rob money from us to bail them out?

Let's rebuild NO again, so that it can get destroyed and rebuilt again and again - that sounds like a smart idea - hey, raise my taxes to do it! Yippee!!

Hey, if a group of people want to do that and live there in NO, fine. But let THEM assume that risk and cost, not me. They chose to do it, let it be [I]their[/I] thing. I think it's a dumb, inefficient, dangerous thing to do and I don't want my money stolen from me to subsidize the foolish and supid decisions of others. It's a form of tyranny![/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]True enough, but we don't need a million residents in a city at that sea port. The private sector will make do, trust me.

Honestly, Bit...think about this: - You see how badly the government botched the Katrina response, you see how the government botches homeland security, and regardless of whether or not someone supports the decision to go into Iraq, it is beyond argument (IMO) that the government has botched that, too. They have ruined the education system, and Social Security is going to go bankrupt.

My question is, in light of all that, how could any person want MORE government? How could anyone trust the government to run healthcare? Why would anyone want to pay more in taxes to fund and perpetuate this incompetence?

I, for one, am getting fed up. I've had about all I can take of this Big Government crap. I supported Bush 100% in Iraq, but they've f*cked it up, possibly beyond repair. I support his SS reform plan, but he's too poor of a communicator to sell people on it. I can't stand his big government spending, his terrible immigration stance, the fact that he's made government bigger. The only thing I care about right now, the only reason I still prefer Bush in there over Kerry is the Supreme Court nominees. Bush will nominate another for O'Connor and possibly another for Stevens, and that is fine. I am happy so far with his picks, but who knows? I was happy with Souter at the time and look at how that turned out.

I think I am done with the GOP. In 1998, I left them temporarily because they lost their minds with the impeachment nonsense. I returned to them mostly because the Democrats are so terrible.

But I'm not taking the lesser of two evils anymore, mostly because I cna't even decide which one is lesser anymore. They both completely suck in different ways and neither one of them knows what they are doing.

Libertarian for me. If you are gong to be stupid, inefficient, corrupt and lazy, take less of my money doing it! Small government.

F*ck Bush and f*ck the GOP. After these SC nominees get confirmed, I don't need the GOP anymore - screw 'em, I'm done. This garbage about those Iraqi bastards stealing that money is the last straw. I'm out - I'm done supporting the war, I'm done defending Bush and I am done pretending he's doing a good job. Later for the GOP....

(I am being deadly serious about this....I may be fiercely against abortion, but I LOATHE big government WASTE and incompetence much more!!!!)[/QUOTE]

Great post.

Problem with the Libertarians (my favorite party btw) is twofold: As best as I can tell, they favor abortion (as par tof their "freedom from Govt. thing).

Second, they prefer an open border, something I have trouble (lots) getting with.

Chnage those two, and they are all but perfect, far better than The Dems or Reps.

5ever great post - it is possible however that once the insurance industry denies 20 billion worth of claims that the rebuilding of NO will grind to a halt. The whole "wind vs water" debate, the courts aren't going to put insurance companies out of business becuase people didn't read their homeowners insurance fine print. In the end (assuming Rita doesn't take a hard right turn and wipe it off the map) New Orleans will be a smaller city focused on uptown tourism and industrial infrastructure. Bush's tax incentives aren't enough to combat a lack of widespread flood insurance.

FYI a collegue of mine just moved to houston and there it is a texas law that homeowners must buy the FEMA flood insurance prior to living in a home they own - it's required much like auto insurance is in the rest of America i.e. it's illegal not to have it. If Rita hits there it will be bad but there will be a reconstruction. New Orleans i don't think will ever recover to be what it was.

All League
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]True enough, but we don't need a million residents in a city at that sea port. The private sector will make do, trust me.

(I am being deadly serious about this....I may be fiercely against abortion, but I LOATHE big government WASTE and incompetence much more!!!!)[/QUOTE]

WOW!!! Come into the light.

I have a question though. Would you support a Supreme Court nominee who was a complete Pat Robertsonesque nut who would epitomize judicial activism, just because they were pro-life? I'm not saying Roberts is that person.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Section109Row15]WOW!!! Come into the light.

I have a question though. Would you support a Supreme Court nominee who was a complete Pat Robertsonesque nut who would epitomize judicial activism, just because they were pro-life? I'm not saying Roberts is that person.[/QUOTE]

another words- the other side of the spectrum fron Ruth "buzzy" Ginsburg.....(thanks Mark Levin!)

[B]Ruth Buzzi[/B]

[IMG]http://www.watusi.net/images/ruth_buzzi1.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Ruth Buzzi Ginsburg[/B]

[IMG]http://www.joefire.com/psglibrary/photos/ussupremes/ginsburg/ginsburg.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-22-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15]WOW!!! Come into the light.

I have a question though. Would you support a Supreme Court nominee who was a complete Pat Robertsonesque nut who would epitomize judicial activism, just because they were pro-life? I'm not saying Roberts is that person.[/QUOTE]

Easy, easy - I am just complaining about and ditching the GOP, not praising the Dems. They're worse than the GOP! I could never, ever vote for a Democrat. Just because I am angry at the GOP doesn't mean the Democrats are a viable alternative. They are a terrible, incompetent party with terrible leadership and terrible policies (like the GOP).

I am and will always be conservative. That hasn't changed. The GOP is what has changed, not me....

No, I wouldn't support a "nutcase" as a SC nominee. A loaded question, no?

Roe v Wade is the epitome of an activist decision. Any judge who respects the constitution should strike it down or not have voted for it in the first place - which is why Rehnquist is the man.

Clarence Thomas is the best justice on the Court today, IMO, with Scalia not too far behind.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Easy, easy - I am just complaining about and ditching the GOP, not praising the Dems. They're worse than the GOP! I could never, ever vote for a Democrat. Just because I am angry at the GOP doesn't mean the Democrats are a viable alternative. They are a terrible, incompetent party with terrible leadership and terrible policies (like the GOP).

I am and will always be conservative. That hasn't changed. The GOP is what has changed, not me....

No, I wouldn't support a "nutcase" as a SC nominee. A loaded question, no?

Roe v Wade is the epitome of an activist decision. Any judge who respects the constitution should strike it down or not have voted for it in the first place - which is why Rehnquist is the man.

Clarence Thomas is the best justice on the Court today, IMO, with Scalia not too far behind.[/QUOTE]
    There is not political party right now that expresses anything that America was based on as whole, but there is one man that I feel comes close, Barak Obama. Other than that I get a bad taste in my mouth from everyone, even Hill Clinton, and I am a huge Billy Boy fan. On the topic of the Hurricane though. I am from Texas, and spent tons of time in Galveston and Houston, due to my Dad being in the oil industry. I am looking at this huge hurricane bearing down on the Texas coast, and can only hope, that the sea wall in Galveston can do its job and minimize the flooding. the death toll should be small, if non-existant, and I hope the winds cause minimal damage, although that looks like the killer of this storm. Please keep NO, Galveston, and Houston in your hearts for us Texans, or former Texans, as my case maybe.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sack Exchange]There is not political party right now that expresses anything that America was based on as whole, but there is one man that I feel comes close, Barak Obama. Other than that I get a bad taste in my mouth from everyone, even Hill Clinton, and I am a huge Billy Boy fan. On the topic of the Hurricane though. I am from Texas, and spent tons of time in Galveston and Houston, due to my Dad being in the oil industry. I am looking at this huge hurricane bearing down on the Texas coast, and can only hope, that the sea wall in Houston can do its job and minimize the flooding. the death toll should be small, if non-existant, and I hope the winds cause minimal damage, although that looks like the killer of this storm. Please keep NO, Galveston, and Houston in your hearts for us Texans, or former Texans, as my case maybe.[/QUOTE]

Will do.

Obama is a guy who gave a nice speech, nothing more. We'll see how he does. He supports partial-birth abortion, reparations, etc. Looney-leftist policies, those....we'll see how his voting record is after a while. Senators can't hide from their recrods, which is why so few of them become Presidents, lately.
    Last edited by jets5ever; 09-22-2005 at 11:26 AM.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Will do.

Obama is a guy who gave a nice speech, nothing more. We'll see how he does. He supports partial-birth abortion, reparations, etc. Looney-leftist policies, those....we'll see how his voting record is after a while. Senators can't hide from their recrods, which is why so few of them become Presidents, lately.[/QUOTE]
    I am pretty sure he doesn't support partial birth abortions. he is a huge family man, and puts his emphasis on family. he is pro-choice, but I agree let us see how he stands in the Senate, and then we will see if he can be a uniter among the dividers we have right now.