Thread: Question about Houston traffic

Question about Houston traffic

Are there no backroads to evacuate from Houston?

Hall Of Fame
    I also saw footage of traffic jams going one wya on the highway, and the other side was bare. Why not open both inbound and outbound lanes and just make them all outbound?

Hall Of Fame
    Good - I couldn't figure out how they would just not use an entire highway....

They did open both sides but they took way too long to do it and Iím not sure that they did it in time. It looks like there are still a number of people stranded on the side of the road, out of gas because of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for too long and no where to fill up. Iíve heard that they are just driving buses up and down the highways trying to pick anyone up and bring them somewhere safe.

A friend of mine decided to get out with his family. They took entirely back roads to San Antonio. Normally a 2-hour drive, it was about 5 for him but he also left Wednesday night.

My family and I decided to stick it out because we werenít sure we could get to safety in time, and again there is no gas to be had anywhere. It looks like we are only going to get a small part of it though so it was probably the right move.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Oakliusmaximus]They did open both sides but they took way too long to do it and Iím not sure that they did it in time. It looks like there are still a number of people stranded on the side of the road, out of gas because of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for too long and no where to fill up. Iíve heard that they are just driving buses up and down the highways trying to pick anyone up and bring them somewhere safe.

A friend of mine decided to get out with his family. They took entirely back roads to San Antonio. Normally a 2-hour drive, it was about 5 for him but he also left Wednesday night.

My family and I decided to stick it out because we werenít sure we could get to safety in time, and again there is no gas to be had anywhere. It looks like we are only going to get a small part of it though so it was probably the right move.[/QUOTE]

Good luck to you Oakster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot. Weíve taken plenty of precautions, probably far more than is necessary. It looks like it is moving a little more East which is good because we will be on the weaker side of the hurricane. We are in pretty good shape, considering.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Oakliusmaximus]Thanks a lot. Weíve taken plenty of precautions, probably far more than is necessary. It looks like it is moving a little more East which is good because we will be on the weaker side of the hurricane. We are in pretty good shape, considering.[/QUOTE]

hey Oak- good luck to you, your family and friends...be safe!

(Hope to be out there 10/15 for Col/UT)

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]hey Oak- good luck to you, your family and friends...be safe!

(Hope to be out there 10/15 for Col/UT)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Turns out Rita didn't even touch us. We got a little wind and rain but we never even lost the DirecTV. A lot of work for nothing, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Hall Of Fame
    I havent been on a while, but there was some serious traffic near me in Austin because of the hurricane (Austin is about 2-3 hours away). The weird thing was the traffic was towards Houston and not away from it.

BTW, CTBNY, if you are going to be in Austin for the Colorado game, send me a PM...maybe I can treat you to a brew down here.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TheBrodyMan]I havent been on a while, but there was some serious traffic near me in Austin because of the hurricane (Austin is about 2-3 hours away). The weird thing was the traffic was towards Houston and not away from it.

BTW, CTBNY, if you are going to be in Austin for the Colorado game, send me a PM...maybe I can treat you to a brew down here.[/QUOTE]

Will do...the time of the game should be out next Monday, so I'll know then...