Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: If you put the 3rd string in, the 1st guy cant play anymore?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

If you put the 3rd string in, the 1st guy cant play anymore?

Can someone clarify for me, I was under the impression that if your 3rd string QB came in the number one wasn't eligible to play. While we are all bashing Herm, he may have not wanted to leave himself no options?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they're all active for the game, they can play in any order and come back in after being taken out. All three of them. I have not heard of what you speak.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=keiththejet]Can someone clarify for me, I was under the impression that if your 3rd string QB came in the number one wasn't eligible to play. While we are all bashing Herm, he may have not wanted to leave himself no options?[/QUOTE]

You do not risk your $64 Million QB after he's been hurt already, in order to win one game.

A smart coach puts Brooks in, and takes the loss if they have to, rather than put Chad in a situation where one hit, one regular hit, could end his career.

It just wasn't smart.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    bolinger was the emergency qb. he was inactive. if he came in to play the qb he came in for cannot come back in and play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]You do not risk your $64 Million QB after he's been hurt already, in order to win one game.

A smart coach puts Brooks in, and takes the loss if they have to, rather than put Chad in a situation where one hit, one regular hit, could end his career.

It just wasn't smart.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.......

But let me ask you this question. If you don't trust Brooks Bollinger as your 3rd string QB then WHY do you keep him on the roster?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the notion that Herm should have protected Chad from the risk of further injury, especially with the O-Line play as porous as it has been.

If I'm not mistaken, on the 3rd string QB rule, the Third stringer can come and play in the first 3 quarters but then the other 2 QBs are deemed ineligible for the rest of the game. BUT, the Third Stringer can come in the 4th Quarter and overtime and the other 2 QBs would still be eligible to return.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    im not sure about that rule SMC it is worth looking up

as far as I understand

you get 45 active players and 1 emergency QB.

Bollinger is technically not inactive nor is he technically active - he's in limbo as the emergency QB which means when he goes in the #1 QB becomes inactive (cannot be put back in) and Bolly becomes active.

this is all a moot point because Bollinger is horrible.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the rule is :
    If the emergency QB comes into the game before the 4th, then the starting QB can not come back in.

If the emergency QB comes in in the 4th qtr, the starter is still eligible to come back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    1995 NFL Rule Changes and Clarifications

There will be no instant replay. Previously there had been consideration in using instant replay for just the playoff games. A second proposal to allow teams three opportunities per game to challenge calls by officials was withdrawn from the vote.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play. [/COLOR]
    A receiver knocked out of bounds by a defensive player can now return to the field to make a play.
    Quarterbacks may now receive communication from the bench via a small radio transmitter in their helmets. This proposal was originally run on a test basis last year during the pre-season, but was scrapped.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    isn't there some other hinky part of that rule about the 3rd stringer coming in before the 2nd stringer? something that's advantageous? i remember it happened before, maybe when vinny went down in '99, tom tupa came in instead of the backup (lucas?) for some reason...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet]I totally agree.......

But let me ask you this question. If you don't trust Brooks Bollinger as your 3rd string QB then WHY do you keep him on the roster?[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%...

You dont throw away a season chasing 1 game, with an obviously injured QB.
    What Herm did was INEXCUSABLE and he should be called to task for that decision.

Let Brooks B play and try to win. The defense was keeping us in the game!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired]isn't there some other hinky part of that rule about the 3rd stringer coming in before the 2nd stringer? something that's advantageous? i remember it happened before, maybe when vinny went down in '99, tom tupa came in instead of the backup (lucas?) for some reason...[/QUOTE]

I think the problem in 99 was that Lucas was the emergency QB so Bill could dress an extra guy. Tupa was the backup QB and if Lucas came in before the 4th Qtr then Tupa was out.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired]isn't there some other hinky part of that rule about the 3rd stringer coming in before the 2nd stringer? something that's advantageous? i remember it happened before, maybe when vinny went down in '99, tom tupa came in instead of the backup (lucas?) for some reason...[/QUOTE]

Tupa was #2 on the depth chart since he was also the punter. Parcells tried to be cute and gain an extra roster spot. It ended up blowing up in his face.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boozer76]Tupa was #2 on the depth chart since he was also the punter. Parcells tried to be cute and gain an extra roster spot. It ended up blowing up in his face.[/QUOTE]
    oh, right - i knew there was somethjing funny. parcell's luck, it didn't really blow up in his face b/c tupa played well, didn't he? i remember the collective groan from teh crowd (myself included) when we saw him, and wasn't his 1st pass a TD?