Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: OT: I Hope A-Rod Was Watching Tonight's Cards'-Stros Game

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    OT: I Hope A-Rod Was Watching Tonight's Cards'-Stros Game

    I had to start this thread b/c I hope A-Rod was watching tonight's Cards-Stros game and saw a real-deal ballplayer in Albert Pujols save his team's season. Down 2 on the road with 2 outs and the season on the line, Pujols hits an absolute bomb.

    Gay-Rod? He hits into a season killing double play after going 2 for 15 with no RBI. A-Rod can't carry Pujols' cleats (nor Jeter's for that matter).

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Pujols is off to the best start in his baseball career second only to Joe D.


    Pujols is going to end up being one of the greatest players of all time.

  3. #3
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    A-Rod is a mental midget in the post-season

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    the sunshine state
    Posts
    1,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an admission to make. I've been an Astros fan since I lived in Houston at the age of 5. They were the first team I ever followed as a kid and it stuck, for better or worse.

    As an Astro fan and as a Jets fan, tonight was just about right. I am the kiss of death to all sports franchises. Blame me for everything that goes wrong with the Jets. It's my fault. I'm convinced.

    Don't blame Herm
    Don't blame Cmart
    Don't blame Chad
    Don't blame Vinny
    Don't blame Bradway
    Don't blame the D

    It's all my fault.

    Brad Lidge=Doug Brien------it REALLY SUCKS to be me.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Land of Superior Men
    Posts
    1,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many apologies agentmorris. The Astros played a good game, but Pujols finally came through (not to mentioned Eckstein and Edmonds) when we most needed him. I look forward to bringing this game back to St. Louis and two more exciting playoff games.

    PS That HR was a bomb. You could hear the crunching on the dirt under Pujol's cleats, the stadium was so silent.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    A-Rod is a mental midget in the post-season
    People do really have short memories...


    This thread is a f*cking joke.


    The reverse of this lesson is that the Yankees wouldn't have gotten anywhere at all without Alex Rodriguez. The press and the fans can pillory him for his poor postseason performance, but it's just scapegoating. A lot of Yankees didn't hit in the Division Series. These things happen. Babe Ruth went 2-for-17 in the 1922 World Series. Joe DiMaggio went 2-for-18 in the 1949 World Series (though the Yankees won). Yogi Berra was 1-for-16 in that same series. The key for both Berra and DiMaggio is that their teammates picked them up. A-Rod's didn't. We could go on: Mickey Mantle, 3-for-25 in the 1962 World Series (Yankees won), 2-15 in the 1963 classic (Yankees lost).
    People also seem to forget that A-Rod, although he had a bad series, still got on base over 40% of the time and for some reason Sheff and Matsui get no blame (even though Matsui left about 8 guys on base in game 5).

    Facts:

    A-Rod's ALDS On-Base Percentage: .435
    A-Rod ALDS Men-Left-On-Base: 6

    Gary Sheffield ALDS Men-Left-On-Base: 17
    Hideki Matsui ALDS Men-Left-On-Base: 14

    By the way, if you don't know what I was talking about with the "short memory" comment, I was talking about the 2004 ALDS when he literally carried the team. The fact of the matter is that A-Rod has always been a good postseason hitter and until he got hit with a pitch by Pedro in last year's ALCS, he was tearing it up. It's not like anyone else was hitting then. Let me also say that the real reason we lost this year was because Randy Johnson f*cked up. RJ came here to win game 3. We gave him a ton of runs and he was horrible. He pitches anywhere near he should have, we win, period.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    nor Jeter's for that matter.
    This is an interesting article:

    Derek Jeter hit a home run Friday with the Yankees down four runs. He hit one last night with the team down three. The one last night was pointed to, by the game broadcasters as well as the ones on "SportsCenter," as evidence of his "clutchness."

    Not for nothing, but why is it if Alex Rodriguez hits a solo homer with the Yankees down by a bunch, it's evidence that he's a stat-padding loser, but when Jeter does it, it's clutch?

    It's just another example of the double standard in place for the two players. Neither covered themsleves in glory in the series--the statistical difference between the two is those two Jeter home runs, whose value seems to be entirely in who hit them--yet Jeter comes out as Captain Intangible while Rodriguez, whose back is still a bit sore from carrying the team in the '04 Division Series, for which he got no credit, is the choke artist.

    It ain't right.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    no pffense, but a-rod hit into a double play after Jeter got on, went 2-17 in the last 4 games against the red sox and made the error that turned the series around against the Angels.
    Jeter has been clutch in the past, that's why he gets more of a past, remember 2001, multiple miracles... A-Rod doesn't have that, he has an ALDS that the yankees won 3-1.

    He isn't paid to walk - He choked, plain and simple.2-17 vs. red sox in the 4 losses, his defining play slapping the ball out of the first baseman's hand, when he should have ran over him.
    Followed by a 2-17 performance defined by the double play that killed the yankees last hope.
    Sorry, Jeter has earned the right to get free pass. A-Rod needs to win a series, make a big fielding play, do something in the last 3 innings again to earn the kind of respect that Jeter has

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    People do really have short memories...


    This thread is a f*cking joke.




    People also seem to forget that A-Rod, although he had a bad series, still got on base over 40% of the time and for some reason Sheff and Matsui get no blame (even though Matsui left about 8 guys on base in game 5).

    Facts:

    A-Rod's ALDS On-Base Percentage: .435
    A-Rod ALDS Men-Left-On-Base: 6

    Gary Sheffield ALDS Men-Left-On-Base: 17
    Hideki Matsui ALDS Men-Left-On-Base: 14

    By the way, if you don't know what I was talking about with the "short memory" comment, I was talking about the 2004 ALDS when he literally carried the team. The fact of the matter is that A-Rod has always been a good postseason hitter and until he got hit with a pitch by Pedro in last year's ALCS, he was tearing it up. It's not like anyone else was hitting then. Let me also say that the real reason we lost this year was because Randy Johnson f*cked up. RJ came here to win game 3. We gave him a ton of runs and he was horrible. He pitches anywhere near he should have, we win, period.
    A-Rod did nothing in the last four games against the Red Sox and nothing against the Angels. You can't discount that. A-Rod's job is to drive in runs, remember. He walked in the Angels series b/c he was afraid to swing the bat. You think I'm making that up? In game 5, the announcers said that Torre pulled A-Rod aside and told him "to be aggressive." A-Rod was tentative at the plate and all you had to do is watch the series to see that.

    And, to say that A-Rod carried the Yanks in the Twins series is absolute nonsense. Jeter, Matsui, Williams and Sierra had equal or more RBI than A-Rod and it was Sierra's 3 run blast in the 8th of game 4 that brought them back and led to them winning in the 11th. And you can't say Pedro hitting A-Rod was the reason he stunk up the place from game 4 on. If it was, A-Rod is even softer than I thought.

    And I agree with you on Randy, but that was only one game. What about A-Rod's costly error in game 2? Who has short memory there? Or how about his lolipop throws to Cano and Giambi which led to runs? A-Rod had many opportunities to "carry" a team like Pujols did and utterly failed.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    A-Rod did nothing in the last four games against the Red Sox and nothing against the Angels. You can't discount that. A-Rod's job is to drive in runs, remember. He walked in the Angels series b/c he was afraid to swing the bat. You think I'm making that up? In game 5, the announcers said that Torre pulled A-Rod aside and told him "to be aggressive." A-Rod was tentative at the plate and all you had to do is watch the series to see that.
    And who did do something in the last four games against the Red Sox? Was it Jeter who batted .200/.333/.233 for the series? Was it Matsui who had a great 3 games and then didn't hit for the last 4 games? Was it Sheffield? Nobody hit in the last 4 games of that series. To blame A-Rod and nobody else is absurd. You don't walk because you are afraid to swing the bat. You walk because you have a good eye. Yes, A-Rod did not have a good series and I never said he did. I was merely pointing out the fact that Sheffield and Matsui were worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    And, to say that A-Rod carried the Yanks in the Twins series is absolute nonsense. Jeter, Matsui, Williams and Sierra had equal or more RBI than A-Rod and it was Sierra's 3 run blast in the 8th of game 4 that brought them back and led to them winning in the 11th. And you can't say Pedro hitting A-Rod was the reason he stunk up the place from game 4 on. If it was, A-Rod is even softer than I thought.
    Umm, no it is not. A-Rod batted .421/.476/.737 in the ALDS last year, including the game tying double in the 12th inning of game 2. Had we lost that game, we go down 0-2 in the series. Other guys had good series' in too, but nobody even came close to matching A-Rod's. It's just a fact. As for getting hit with a 93 MPH fastball in the back, yes, that can hurt. Have you ever been hit with a 93 MPH fastball before? It doesn't just go away. He never made that excuse, but it is interesting to see that it turned from there. (Just as it did after Pedro brushed Matsui back with a pitch up and in in that same game). And if you think A-Rod is soft then you are just f*cking stupid - no other way to put it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    And I agree with you on Randy, but that was only one game. What about A-Rod's costly error in game 2? Who has short memory there? Or how about his lolipop throws to Cano and Giambi which led to runs? A-Rod had many opportunities to "carry" a team like Pujols did and utterly failed.
    Randy came here to win that game, period. We gave up our catcher of the future along with 2 good, young pitchers and gave him a ton of money to win that game. With an offensive player, you are not brought into carry a team. If you get hot and it happens then it happens but it doesn't happen every time. I guess Mickey is horrible for going 2/15 in that 1963 WS. If he were like Pujols, he would have carried the team and we would have won. In baseball, it doesn't always happen like that. Sometimes you get hot and sometimes you get cold. We saw it with Vladdy in the ALCS. Does that make him a bad player? Should the Angels trade Vladdy? No. He was just out of sync, it happens. I know all about A-Rod's error. It was horrible. A-Rod had a bad series - nobody is disputing that. But to make him the whipping boy when there were others to blame as much if not more than him is absurd.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    gay-rod is a purse-toting, ball-slapping pansy.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    gay-rod is a purse-toting, ball-slapping pansy.
    Haha, thanks for the contribution.

    How bout that real man Pedro?

    http://www.petermuhly.com/sports/pho...ro_punched.jpg

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Somerset, NJ
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Haha, thanks for the contribution.

    How bout that real man Pedro?

    http://www.petermuhly.com/sports/pho...ro_punched.jpg
    you know your wrong when you have to resort to others being as bad.
    Dave winfield had great stats;Reggie Jackson had great stats
    who do you want up with the game on the line
    fast forward 25 years...
    I was happy to see Jeter leading off trailing by 2, because I know if he gets an opportunity with a runner on-he gets it done. A-Rod will have great stats again next year but in a big spot, if I'm a Yankee fan-he's not at the top of my list

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it, JeffWeaverFan, are you A-Rod's pool boy or something? A-Rod is seeing a sports psychologist to deal with the pressure of living up to his contract. Just read the news reports on this.

    Torre told A-Rod to be aggressive (i.e., swing the bat). Ignore that fact all you like. It was reported in the papers and discussed on talk radio.

    A-Rod has shrunk under the spotlight. You can't deny that except if you're an A-Rod Fanboy. That explains his subpar hitting with RISP in 2004 and his poor performance in the postseason this year. My God, A-Rod is suppose to be the next Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, etc. He's not even close. (BTW, Barry Bonds was known as a hollow number guy as well before he took HGH).

    A-Rod has a rep of being a pre-packaged phony. The Red Sox killed him in the spring on this and not a single Yankee came to his defense. In an interview a few years back, A-Rod dissed his supposed best fried Jeter. This year, his mother makes the pathetic push to say that A-Rod was dealing with the loss of his beloved uncle only for it to be reported that a few days after the Angels series A-Rod was partying up with friends in a dance club. In contrast, Paul O'Neill played a world series game the day his father died and played well.

    Right after Game 5, Jeter says that he's embarrassed by the loss while A-Rod says that he "left his heart and guts out there and has nothing to be ashamed of." That's the difference. Other players had a bad series in Matsui and Sheffield, but none of them are suppose to be "the man" as A-Rod is.

    He's not suppose to be an ordinary player, get it through your skull JWF. When he fails in big spots, he will be called on it.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36
    you know your wrong when you have to resort to others being as bad.
    Dave winfield had great stats;Reggie Jackson had great stats
    who do you want up with the game on the line
    fast forward 25 years...
    I was happy to see Jeter leading off trailing by 2, because I know if he gets an opportunity with a runner on-he gets it done. A-Rod will have great stats again next year but in a big spot, if I'm a Yankee fan-he's not at the top of my list
    Neckdemon stated a bunch of crap so I merely asked him about Peter. I've already stated my position on this numerous times.

    Speaking of Reggie Jackson, his postseason stats aren't that amazing. In fact, his first ever postseason with the Yankees was the 1977 ALCS. He went 2/17 in that series and had an OBP of .222. The Yankees still won because his teamates picked him up and then he, in turn, picked them up in the WS that year. So, A-Rod had a bad series and was not picked up and he gets all the blame? Absurd. And, to state he can't hit in the postseason is just a lie. He can and he has. That's a fact.

    A-Rod had a bad postseason, as did most every Yankee. The reason people hate on A-Rod is because he not only is the highest paid player but he also is a Yankee. I used to hate on A-Rod because I thought he was overpaid, but now that I've seen him game in and game out, the guy is an amazing player. It's too bad he had a bad postseason but to take anything from a 5 game series is absurd.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    I don't get it, JeffWeaverFan, are you A-Rod's pool boy or something? A-Rod is seeing a sports psychologist to deal with the pressure of living up to his contract. Just read the news reports on this.

    Torre told A-Rod to be aggressive (i.e., swing the bat). Ignore that fact all you like. It was reported in the papers and discussed on talk radio.
    I know that A-Rod saw a psychologist. And, judging from his MVP season, more players should.

    That's fine. He didn't have a good postseason but it was still better than ohter guys on this team and to take anything from a 5 game series is stupid.


    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    A-Rod has shrunk under the spotlight. You can't deny that except if you're an A-Rod Fanboy. That explains his subpar hitting with RISP in 2004 and his poor performance in the postseason this year. My God, A-Rod is suppose to be the next Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, etc. He's not even close. (BTW, Barry Bonds was known as a hollow number guy as well before he took HGH).
    No, A-Rod has not. He had a bad 5 games. It had nothing to do with the spotlight or else he would always have been bad in the postseason. Well, he's been tremendous in the postseason throughout his career. It's the same kind of idiotic theory that Jose Contreras couldn't handle NY. Of course he could handle NY and he's proving that right now by pitching great in the playoffs. Not to get off topic, but the problem is that Mel is a horrible pitching coach.

    No, A-Rod is not supposed to be the next Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle. (At least not in my mind as those are the best and 3rd best players of all time). A-Rod is supposed to be an amazing player and that he is.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    A-Rod has a rep of being a pre-packaged phony. The Red Sox killed him in the spring on this and not a single Yankee came to his defense. In an interview a few years back, A-Rod dissed his supposed best fried Jeter. This year, his mother makes the pathetic push to say that A-Rod was dealing with the loss of his beloved uncle only for it to be reported that a few days after the Angels series A-Rod was partying up with friends in a dance club. In contrast, Paul O'Neill played a world series game the day his father died and played well.
    I guess it's easy to state facts when you lie. Actually, Bernie Williams did come to his defense. But, lets just ignore the facts and make up lies, you do that well. Your other points are meaningless. So, A-Rod dissed Jeter a few years ago? Cool. So his mother tried to defend her son? Oh no, the horror!!! So O'Neill had a great game the day his father died? Great. O'Neill is still my favorite baseball player of all time by the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Right after Game 5, Jeter says that he's embarrassed by the loss while A-Rod says that he "left his heart and guts out there and has nothing to be ashamed of." That's the difference. Other players had a bad series in Matsui and Sheffield, but none of them are suppose to be "the man" as A-Rod is.

    He's not suppose to be an ordinary player, get it through your skull JWF. When he fails in big spots, he will be called on it.
    Actually, A-Rod stated that, "I played like a dog." And then he took all the blame. Why are you making up lies by the way? Do you really think I don't actually know what was said? And sometimes players have bad series and their other teamates pick up the slack. That's what baseball is - it's a team game. I just wonder what people would have said about Reggie Jackson had his teamates not picked him up and the Yankees subsequently lost the 1977 ALCS after his horrid series. Seriously, what do you think? I'd really like an answer to that question.

    And that's fine. But, it seems that if he doesn't hit a 1.000 in big spots, people will kill him. He's been great in huge spots throughout his Yankee career. He's also been bad. He was great all year in big spots (while Jeter was horrendous by the way) all year and he then had a bad series. It happens.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Get Your Facts Straight JWF Before You Question Me...

    Why don't you watch the YES Channel and read the reports online before you say that I'm lying. It's was all out there.

    On A-Rod saying that he played "like a dog", he said that AFTER Jeter's interview. If you watched the game 5 postgame, you would know that A-Rod was interviewed first and said that pathetic 'I have nothing to me ashamed of...' nonsense. THEN Jeter was interviewed and said he was embarrased. Reporters continued with A-Rod, after Jeter's interview, and that's when he said "he played like a dog." Get YOUR facts straight.

    Here's A-Rod's exact quote from his pre-Jeter interview: "I had a great year, something I'm very proud of. I left my guts on the field, I left my heart out there, so I'm not going to hang my head. I'm just going to go out and learn from it and become a better Yankee." (I nearly threw up when I say that interview, by the way)

    And I read what Bernie said after the Sox bashed A-Rod and if you consider that a "defense" then man, I'd hate for you to have my back.

    And you have the audacity to say that A-Rod has been "tremendous" in the postseason throughout his career. He had 2 good postseason series out of 6 (Against the Yanks as a Mariner and against the Twins) In the other 4 he has a combined .253 average with 8 RBI in 19 games. For you to say that A-Rod has "been great in huge spots throughout his Yankee career" is asinine. You can count his meaningful hits on one hand for the Yanks. Please, stop being an A-Rod apologist.

    Plus, I'm not the one saying that A-Rod is the next Ruth or Mantle, he and his agent Scott Boras are. When A-Rod was seeking the plus $200 million deal, he had his agent put together a booklet highlighting A-Rod's career numbers and projecting that he would be the all-time homerun leader and near the top in career hits and RBI. (This was reported on MSG network and in newspaper articles at the time). Texas owner Tom Hicks bought the sales pitch and couldn't wait to get rid of A-Rod.

    Last, Jackson had a subpar ALCS in 1997, which was the exception and not the norm for him. A-Rod has been subpar in 4 of 6 postseason series. That's a trend.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Why don't you watch the YES Channel and read the reports online before you say that I'm lying. It's was all out there.

    On A-Rod saying that he played "like a dog", he said that AFTER Jeter's interview. If you watched the game 5 postgame, you would know that A-Rod was interviewed first and said that pathetic 'I have nothing to me ashamed of...' nonsense. THEN Jeter was interviewed and said he was embarrased. Reporters continued with A-Rod, after Jeter's interview, and that's when he said "he played like a dog." Get YOUR facts straight.

    Here's A-Rod's exact quote from his pre-Jeter interview: "I had a great year, something I'm very proud of. I left my guts on the field, I left my heart out there, so I'm not going to hang my head. I'm just going to go out and learn from it and become a better Yankee." (I nearly threw up when I say that interview, by the way)
    My facts are straight. A-Rod said all that. You failed to mention that A-Rod took the blame. Not that anything that you said that he said was so bad. He did have a great year. He has nothing to be ashamed of regarding his whole year. In regards to the postseason series, he took the blame. He wants to learn from this to become a better Yankee? Oh, the horror! Those are the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    And I read what Bernie said after the Sox bashed A-Rod and if you consider that a "defense" then man, I'd hate for you to have my back.
    Bernie is not one to talk much, for him to say what he did speaks volumes.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    And you have the audacity to say that A-Rod has been "tremendous" in the postseason throughout his career. He had 2 good postseason series out of 6 (Against the Yanks as a Mariner and against the Twins) In the other 4 he has a combined .253 average with 8 RBI in 19 games. For you to say that A-Rod has "been great in huge spots throughout his Yankee career" is asinine. You can count his meaningful hits on one hand for the Yanks. Please, stop being an A-Rod apologist.
    Those are the dumbest stats I have ever heard. Yes, besides 1/3rd of the AB's this individual has had, he only bats .253. This is fun. Lets take Reggie Jackson for example. He played in 17 postseason series. Well, lets take away 5 of 17 postseason series (less than the 1/3rd you took away from A-Rod). We're taking away the 1977 WS, the 1978 ALCS, the 1975 ALCS, the 1981 WS, and the 1973 WS. Holy sh*t! Reggie Jackson is a bad postseason player when you take away less than 1/3rd of his playoff series! Wow, I'm stunned. Now, to get to the point that A-Rod has only been good in 2/6 postseason series. What do you consider his 1997 ALDS? He hit .312 with a .562 SLG percentage. Pretty damn good. His 200 ALDS when he also hit .308 is pretty good too.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Plus, I'm not the one saying that A-Rod is the next Ruth or Mantle, he and his agent Scott Boras are. When A-Rod was seeking the plus $200 million deal, he had his agent put together a booklet highlighting A-Rod's career numbers and projecting that he would be the all-time homerun leader and near the top in career hits and RBI. (This was reported on MSG network and in newspaper articles at the time). Texas owner Tom Hicks bought the sales pitch and couldn't wait to get rid of A-Rod.
    A-Rod did not tell Mr. Boras to do these things. That's what Boras does. That's what he always does for all his clients. He gets them the most amount of money. That's why he's the best agent in baseball (at least for the players). To blame A-Rod because a team was stupid enough to give him that kind of contract is absurd. By the way, A-Rod could very well be the all-time homerun leader and will most likely be the near the top of all significant offensive categories. Hicks got rid of A-Rod because his team does not play in a big enough market to spend that kind of money on one player. It was an idiotic decision at the time and one he is still paying for.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Last, Jackson had a subpar ALCS in 1997, which was the exception and not the norm for him. A-Rod has been subpar in 4 of 6 postseason series. That's a trend.
    A-Rod has not had a subpark 4 of 6 postseason series. He's had a subpar 2 of 6 postseason series. Jackson, on the other hand, has had a subpar 7 of 17 postseason series. Just want to get the facts out there for you. And, the reason he was able to be called Mr. October was because his teamates picked him up after his horrendous 1977 ALCS. That's the difference between his 1977 ALCS and A-Rod's 2005 ALDS. Reggie's teamates picked him up while A-Rod's did not. And A-Rod still deserves blame, but basball is a team game and guys will not always hit. Had his teamates picked him up or had Randy been able to win a freaking game when we gave him a ton of runs, there is no doubt that A-Rod would have had a great ALCS.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    You Crack Me Up JWF...

    You are the quintessential A-Rod Fanboy. A-Rod hit .312 in the 1997 ALDS. That's 5 hits in 16 ABs with 1 2B and 1 HR, that's why his SLG % is .562. You bring up 2000 ALDS? He had 4 hits in 13 ABs with no extra basehits and 2 RBI. You want to focus on 29 ABs and I mentioned a more telling sample of 75 ABs. What statistics are a better indicator? Serious, do you even watch baseball? Who's the better hitter, the guy who has 3 hits in 10 ABs or the guy with 30 in a 100 ABs?

    And it amazes me that he wish to compare A-Rod to one of the greatest postseason performers in Reggie Jackson. Yes, Jackson has had some sub par series and he's had some remarkable ones, something that A-Rod has never done except in the eyes of individuals as yourself who where A-Rod tinted glasses. A-Rod has never carried a team on his back to win a series. Mind you, since the Yanks are stuck with him, I hope he carries the Yanks in a series in the future.

    Finally, I was not alone in marking the distinction between A-Rod and Jeter's postgame comments. Jim Leyritz on the Boomer Esiason Show criticized A-Rod on those "not hanging his head comments." (He was talking about the Angels series not his regular season). Did you miss that show as well while you were hanging your A-Rod poster?
    Last edited by SMC; 10-23-2005 at 04:54 PM.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    You are the quintessential A-Rod Fanboy. A-Rod hit .312 in the 1997 ALDS. That's 5 hits in 16 ABs with 1 2B and 1 HR, that's why his SLG % is .562. You bring up 2000 ALDS? He had 4 hits in 13 ABs with no extra basehits and 2 RBI. You want to focus on 29 ABs and I mentioned a more telling sample of 75 ABs. What statistics are a better indicator? Serious, do you even watch baseball? Who's the better hitter, the guy who has 3 hits in 10 ABs or the guy with 30 in a 100 ABs?
    Yes, I know that it is 5 hits in 16 AB's in the 1997 ALDS. You considered that a bad series. Do you watch baseball? If you did, you would understand that that is a good series. Yes, the 2000 ALDS was fine. 4 hits in 13 AB's. Not that it really matters becuase it is such a small sample size. And that's pretty much the point, the sample size is too small to take anything from. So, to say that A-Rod cannot do anything in the postseason is ridiculous because your looking at too small of a sample size. As for your last question, I have no idea. 3 hits in 10 AB's means nothing to me. The guy that has 0 hits in 10 AB's might be a much better hitter than a guy with 30 hits in 100 AB's.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    And it amazes me that he wish to compare A-Rod to one of the greatest postseason performers in Reggie Jackson. Yes, Jackson has had some sub par series and he's had some remarkable ones, something that A-Rod has never done except in the eyes of individuals as yourself who where A-Rod tinted glasses. A-Rod has never carried a team on his back to win a series. Mind you, since the Yanks are stuck with him, I hope he carries the Yanks in a series in the future.
    The comparison was just to show that even Mr. October has had some horrible series. Had Mr. October's teamates not picked him up in the 1977 ALCS, he wouldn't even be Mr. October. A-Rod carried the Yankees against the Twins in the ALDS last year. His double in game 2 was the difference in that series. Without him, we go down 0-2. He was by far the Yankees best hitter in that series.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Finally, I was not alone in marking the distinction between A-Rod and Jeter's postgame comments. Jim Leyritz on the Boomer Esiason Show criticized A-Rod on those "not hanging his head comments." (He was talking about the Angels series not his regular season). Did you miss that show as well while you were hanging your A-Rod poster?
    I actually don't have any A-Rod posters, nor any A-Rod memorabilia. All I know about A-Rod is that he blamed himself. He was stating that he tried his best and I'm sure he did. Still, giving 100% effort, he played like a dog. For the record, I have a Jeter, Weaver, and Cano shirt. And an autographed Kevin Brown and a Sheffield jersey. No A-Rod stuff. The problem I have with all this is that A-Rod does not deserve all the blame. You don't blame one offensive player when the whole team wasn't scoring runs. When Sheff and Matsui also were horrible. When RJ, who came here to literally win that game, couldn't pitch more than 3 innings. Does A-Rod deserve blame for having a bad series? Yes. Does Sheffied? Yes. Does Matsui? Yes. Does Bernie? To some extent. Does Randy? Yes. It's a team game. You win as a team and you lose as a team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us