Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: billy wagner

billy wagner

it seems that the phillies have made a second offer to wagner. for what is assumed to be about 3 years for about 22 million. i have to assume that wagner will wait and see what other offers he gets as a free agent. i mean he's waited this long, what another few weeks? wagner has also said that his family likes it where they are. i'm not sure where he lives with his family, but philly is pretty close to new york. wagner was also quoted as saying he'd like to play in new york also. the mets need to sign this guy. they need to just blow him out of the water with a deal he just can't refuse. 3 years for 30+ million, "no problem mister wagner". full no-trade clause, "as you wish mister wagner". in other words, get this guy in queens. if he is waiting we have to be a favorite to get this guy. we need a big time closer, and he IS a big time closer. we have an up and coming team. we have the money to pay him what he wants. we are close to wherever it is he lives now. SIGN BILLY WAGNER! looper will make a great right-handed set-up man. we would be on our way to a great bull pen.

There is no doubt that Billy Wagner is a top notch closer and the Mets would be greatly improved with him, but his injury history has to be a bit of a concern. Especially when you are signing him to a 3 year deal. $9 million per year for a closer is a ton of money and you will be overpaying for him, but I can understand why Met fans would want this guy after watching Looper all season (does he have another year left on his contract?).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    There is no doubt that Billy Wagner is a top notch closer and the Mets would be greatly improved with him, but his injury history has to be a bit of a concern. Especially when you are signing him to a 3 year deal. $9 million per year for a closer is a ton of money and you will be overpaying for him, but I can understand why Met fans would want this guy after watching Looper all season (does he have another year left on his contract?).

ummmm, i'm not entirely sure but i'm almost 100% positive that looper has one more year. yeah wagner has had a history with some injury in it. but he's still the best closer on the market. and the mets desperately need a closer. you're right a deal like that may be overpaying a bit, but i think we wil have to pverpay him if we want to pry him away from philly. there may be a little risk involved, but there is risk involved always, no matter who you sign there is always that risk of injury. i just think, in this cae, it's a risk thats worth taking. because the upside if tremendous.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    ummmm, i'm not entirely sure but i'm almost 100% positive that looper has one more year. yeah wagner has had a history with some injury in it. but he's still the best closer on the market. and the mets desperately need a closer. you're right a deal like that may be overpaying a bit, but i think we wil have to pverpay him if we want to pry him away from philly. there may be a little risk involved, but there is risk involved always, no matter who you sign there is always that risk of injury. i just think, in this cae, it's a risk thats worth taking. because the upside if tremendous.
    Loopers deal is an option based by what i understand where it is a 1 year - 5 million option, I expect to see him gone next season.

Dont quote me on that, but thats what i believe it is.

Question for Met fans. Do you guys think you will go after Paul Konerko? I think he, Wagner, and another bullpen guy would be a good offseason. And I guess you also need to figure out your 2B and catcher situation. I also wonder if you guys should trade Mike Cameron. It's wasteful for him to play RF instead of CF and Victor Diaz can take over that position. If you could get some real value for Cameron, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

they'll probably stick with Jacobs at 1B... maybe pickup a backup in Millar... could upgrade 2B with Furcal or just focus on adding a big bat in the OF, a closer, and maybe a catcher

Question for Met fans. Do you guys think you will go after Paul Konerko? I think he, Wagner, and another bullpen guy would be a good offseason. And I guess you also need to figure out your 2B and catcher situation. I also wonder if you guys should trade Mike Cameron. It's wasteful for him to play RF instead of CF and Victor Diaz can take over that position. If you could get some real value for Cameron, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

idk, it's a good question. he's certainly probably intriguing to management. i think we need to sgore up out bullpen and worry more about catcher and 2nd base though. i wouldn't object to them going into next season with jacobs as the 1st baseman. he looked good when he played. as far as dealilng cameron and handing rf to diaz, idk. maybe. i don' tknow if i like diaz as our everyday right fielder. cmaeron is obviously a liability at the plate. thats a tough one. imo, wagner is 1st priority.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    they'll probably stick with Jacobs at 1B... maybe pickup a backup in Millar... could upgrade 2B with Furcal or just focus on adding a big bat in the OF, a closer, and maybe a catcher
    If Furcal leaves, it's a Major League loss for the Braves. I expect them to make an all out push for him.

Speaking as a Yankee fan, but I believe that the Mets will overpay for Wagner, just lik ethey did with Pedro. If that means adding a 4th year guaranteed to get the deal done, so be it. It woul dbe a shock if Omar does not target and land Wagner.

I am under the impression that Looper has a team option for 2006. Either a 5 million salary, or a hefty buyout. I would expect the Mets to extend the buyout.

DO not be surprised if the Mets also try to deal for Danny Baez from Tampa. I think they would like Wagner and Baez at the end of their pen, even if Baez costs a top Minor League pitcher, like Bannister.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    If Furcal leaves, it's a Major League loss for the Braves. I expect them to make an all out push for him.

yeah i'd be surprised if atlants lets furcal leave. i'd be even more surprised if he came to the mets to play 2nd base.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Speaking as a Yankee fan, but I believe that the Mets will overpay for Wagner, just lik ethey did with Pedro. If that means adding a 4th year guaranteed to get the deal done, so be it. It woul dbe a shock if Omar does not target and land Wagner.

I am under the impression that Looper has a team option for 2006. Either a 5 million salary, or a hefty buyout. I would expect the Mets to extend the buyout.

DO not be surprised if the Mets also try to deal for Danny Baez from Tampa. I think they would like Wagner and Baez at the end of their pen, even if Baez costs a top Minor League pitcher, like Bannister.
    I would be surprised if the Mets gave Wagner 4 guarenteed years. That would be a big mistake IMO. I think the Mets can get the deal done for 3 years at $9 million per.

I also believe that trying to trade for Baez would be a huge mistake. Why not just sign a FA instead of giving up a prospect? I think relievers have more value during the season when you can't just sign a guy. As a Yankee fan, I want Kyle Farnsworth as our 7th inning guy with BJ Ryan replacing Flash as the 8th inning guy.

I haven't seen anything about Wagner wanting a fourth year. If I remember correctly, the point of contention between him and the Phils was have a guaranteed third year. Originally, I think he wanted 3 years at around $9 M per, and they were only willing to offer two years in that annual salary neighborhood. As much as I think we need him, I think four years would be too long a commitment. I agree about Baez... there is no chance in h3ll the Mets try and trade for him. The free agent pool is as deep at closer this year as I have ever seen it. It just wouldn't make any sense.

I think we'll inquire about Konerko, but he'll choose to stay in Chicago. I also believe that we'll make a huge push to land Furcal, which I am not too thrilled with. To me, priority #1 must be constructing the bullpen. Priority #2 should be finding a thumper to play 1st. Priority #3 should be making sure we lock up either Ramon Hernandez or Bengie Molina to catch. I understand the kind of player Furcal is, but we have a few gaping holes that are going to take big money to fix. This team will go absolutely nowhere until the bullpen mess gets cleaned up.

If you signed Furcal would you move Reyes to 2B?

By the way, if I was a Met fan, I would not be adverse to trading Reyes. His OBP is way too low to be a great player. If he can get that OBP up then you've got a great player there, but he has shown no signs of improvement.

If you signed Furcal would you move Reyes to 2B?

By the way, if I was a Met fan, I would not be adverse to trading Reyes. His OBP is way too low to be a great player. If he can get that OBP up then you've got a great player there, but he has shown no signs of improvement.
    I don't expect Furcal to come, but if he did, he would play 2B. Reyes wasn't a great player last year, but I'm not sure how you could miss Reyes' improvement, specifically in OBP. The guy is 22 and improving. Give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    I don't expect Furcal to come, but if he did, he would play 2B. Reyes wasn't a great player last year, but I'm not sure how you could miss Reyes' improvement, specifically in OBP. The guy is 22 and improving. Give him time.

yeah i agree on reyes. this was his first full year in the majors. amd, imo, he showed a marked improvement in his plate discipline form the beginning to the end of the season. he certainly still needs to improve. but he is very young still, and imo, will become a pretty damn good player when all is said and done. and the mets have already made it a point that if furcal is signed it is to play 2nd base. reyes isn't moving. one other thing. i think konerko at this point is a bit of a long shot right now, but you never know.

Fair enough regarding Reyes. I would just be a bit concerned with his OBP because it is too low to be leading off and that is where he hits. Either way, if you don't get Wagner, how about Tom Gordon? He will definitely be cheaper, although he is getting up there in age.

Fair enough regarding Reyes. I would just be a bit concerned with his OBP because it is too low to be leading off and that is where he hits. Either way, if you don't get Wagner, how about Tom Gordon? He will definitely be cheaper, although he is getting up there in age.

i actually think that the mets have shown interest in tom gordon, but i think it's for more of a set-up role. i'm not sure how i feel about it yet. he has been a little inconsistent the past couple of years, and he isn't getting any younger.

From what I hear, Gordon wants to be a closer. If he didn't mind being a setup guy, I can't imagine he'd be enthused about leaving the Yankees to join the Mets.

As for Reyes, I would not trade him for anything less than a king's ransom. The OBP is not there yet, but he is young. When his plate discipline arrives, you have a phenomenal offesive player, a perennial All-Star, immediately. Also, like neckdemon and BrooklynBound said, if you watched him last year from start to finish, day in and day out, you saw a considerable improvement in his discipline. As a die-hard, I expect Reyes and Wright will be the face of the franchise for a long time to come.

If Chicago doesn't re-sign Konerko soon, I have a feeling that with what's happening in Boston right now, the Mets would be at the top of his list. Unfortunately, you have to assume the Sox will re-sign him. They'd be crazy not to.

It is low compared to other good leadoff hitters... and I'm not a huge Reyes guy, but his speed allows him to score almost half the time he reaches base. That raises his effective OBP IMO

not really interested in Gordon unless other options are exhausted (Wagner, Ryan, Hoffman)

Mets are talking to Dotel to set up apparently