Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ARod Wins AL MVP

  1. #1

    ARod Wins AL MVP

    Close vote but Ortiz is second, Vlad third, Manny fourth and Hafner fifth

  2. #2
    What a bunch of bs. And I'm a Yankee fan, IMO they need to start figuring in postseason play into the mvp race, can anyone say DOUBLE F-CKING PLAY!

    If they're going to give the MVP award to a Yankee, give it to Derek Jeter.

  3. #3
    If Ortiz played 1B, he wins hands-down, but it's tough for even the most fervent Sox fan to dismiss ARod's contribution. Still, I'm disappointed. Take Papi off the Sox and they go nowhere.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by patsox23
    If Ortiz played 1B, he wins hands-down, but it's tough for even the most fervent Sox fan to dismiss ARod's contribution. Still, I'm disappointed. Take Papi off the Sox and they go nowhere.
    If Ortiz played 1B, his defense would have cost the Red Sox about 2 wins - making him less valuable. A-Rod's defense helped the Yankees win about 2-3 games. Also, for all the mention of Ortiz's walk offs, people seem to forget about the DP that A-Rod turned against the Blue Jays with 1 out and men on 1st and 2nd in a 1 run game. It took a great play for the hit to not be a game winning double.

    By the way, just like if you took Ortiz off the Sox this year they wouldn't have made the playoffs, if you took A-Rod off the Yankes this year, we also would not have made the playoffs. In fact, you could argue that Ortiz's replacement player at DH would have been much better than A-Rod's replacement at 3B. Had Ortiz not have been on the team, Manny DH's and you get a league average leftfielder who would be a big improvement over the defensively challenged Manny. If you take A-Rod off the Yankees you have to put Tony Womack or Felix Escalona at 3B.

    The fact of the matter is that A-Rod deserved to win this award and he did.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    What a bunch of bs. And I'm a Yankee fan, IMO they need to start figuring in postseason play into the mvp race, can anyone say DOUBLE F-CKING PLAY!

    If they're going to give the MVP award to a Yankee, give it to Derek Jeter.
    What about the guys that aren't in the playoffs that are MVP candidates? There are MVP awards for the playoffs for a reason.

    Which is why it is a good thing that fans don't get to vote for this award.

  6. #6
    By the way Rutgers, do you watch Yankee games? You first criticize A-Rod for his DP and then you say that Jeter was the most valuable Yankee? Did you just forget how many times Jeter made the last out in games this season while either representing the tying run or having the tying run in scoring position? Do you know that Jeter hit only .261 with RISP?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    What a bunch of bs. And I'm a Yankee fan, IMO they need to start figuring in postseason play into the mvp race, can anyone say DOUBLE F-CKING PLAY!

    If they're going to give the MVP award to a Yankee, give it to Derek Jeter.

    Wow, basing a player on one play...

  8. #8
    the MVP award doenst mean anything anymore..all the baseball writers are in love with arod...the award became a joke when Arod won the award on a 100 loss rangers team...how are you valuable when your team loses 100+ games....

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by hendu24
    the MVP award doenst mean anything anymore..all the baseball writers are in love with arod...the award became a joke when Arod won the award on a 100 loss rangers team...how are you valuable when your team loses 100+ games....
    The joke is that people can't understand how a player can be valuable on a bad team. The rest of your team stinking should not affect a player's individual value. If a pitcher goes 22-2 on a 62-100 team, what exactly makes him less valuable than a pitcher who goes 16-6 with the same ERA on a 100 win team? The first guy is probably more valuable based on the fact that he did it with less help around him. The first guy accounted for more wins than the second guy, but the second guy's team won more games because of the other 24 players on the roster. Obviously, those are hypothetical numbers that wouldn't ever occur, but the example illustrates the point that it is impossible to judge a single player's value on how many games his team wins.

    I would love for someone to explain to me why a player on a 100 loss team cannot be as valuable as a player on a 100 win team. It is exceedingly rare that it would happen, and very unlikely, but to use that concept as a general basis for your argument as something that is set in stone is just absurd. Case in point, who was more valuable this year, Ichiro (whose team lost 93 games), or Bernie Williams (whose team won 95 games)??? See???? It just doesn't work (If you answered Bernie, stamp 'moron' on your forehead and don't bother responding). Obviously, the players in the running for an MVP award are almost always gonna be better candidates than Ichiro or Bernie (in their '05 campaigns), but again, I'm using them as an example to show that the principle of the matter is absurd. "How are you valuable when you team loses 100+ games?" is a question that can only be asked by someone who doesn't understand the concept of team sports, especially baseball. Maybe they should rename the award the "Best player on a real good team Award." It would make things much more clear.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by hendu24
    the MVP award doenst mean anything anymore..all the baseball writers are in love with arod...the award became a joke when Arod won the award on a 100 loss rangers team...how are you valuable when your team loses 100+ games....
    Broadway Joe said it best. The fact is that nobody stuck out on the good teams that year. A-Rod was, in fact, the most valuable player that year because he created more wins than anyone else that year. He did the same thing this year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us