Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameron for Nady

Veteran

Cameron for Nady

i like this trade how does everyone like it?

Good trade for the Mets. Nady's got a lot of potential and developed some power this year.

I guess I wanted a little more but Cameron is coming off an injury and isn't cheap. He didn't want to play RF, either. This gives the Mets a little more flexibility with a 4th OF and a lefty platoon for Jacobs... plus more cash to spend.

I think Nady stinks. I'm also not thrilled with the idea of Diaz playing right every day. I can only assume this was nothing but a salary dump, and we'd better see some spending real soon. There is no doubt we are a worse team today than we were yesterday, but if this sets the wheels in motion for something bigger, then so be it.

I don't think he stinks, he can be effective if used correctly... as a super sub who can platoon against righties... he's better than Diaz IMO as well

i think this deal was an ok one. nady seems like a versatile player, and frankly, i think camerons valuse had been diminished. so the mets got a decent player and dumped alot of salary. most likely as a precursor to some bigger aquisitions. it seems wagner is saying that he thinks the mets have an advantage as far as the qualtiy of team they will be putting on the field. imo, thats a huge endorsement for the mets, and it seems as long as omar doesn't flub this one, that wagner will be a met.

Rookie
    I'm not sold on Nady. He's been a "potential" guy for a while now. But its a positive move. Cameron's value was largely based on him playing CF. If you think Jacobs might be the answer at 1st, might as well get a young righty with similar upside to platoon. Hopefully Jacobs or Nady bust out this year. Or both!

Just the first domino of the winter for Omar.

Rookie
    How long until Cameron is traded to the Sox for Wells?

It's really Cameron for Nady and whoever extra we can sign for 6.5 mil

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    It's really Cameron for Nady and whoever extra we can sign for 6.5 mil

molina or hernandez. i'd actually like to see the mets go after a guy like farnsworth also.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    molina or hernandez. i'd actually like to see the mets go after a guy like farnsworth also.
    This may be semantics, but I consider the Cameron money to go towards one or two set up men. Piazza's 15 mil is off the books, and I think the closer and catcher will be covered with that amount. What I mean is, we will likely get a catcher and a closer regardless, now we can go hard after Eyre, Farnsworth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    This may be semantics, but I consider the Cameron money to go towards one or two set up men. Piazza's 15 mil is off the books, and I think the closer and catcher will be covered with that amount. What I mean is, we will likely get a catcher and a closer regardless, now we can go hard after Eyre, Farnsworth, etc.
    it'll be close. i think wagner's contract is going to wind up looking like 3-4 years at 10+ per.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    it'll be close. i think wagner's contract is going to wind up looking like 3-4 years at 10+ per.
    All else being equal, with the new network, I think the Mets will expand the payroll

TMahoney
    First reaction was that this trade is terrible.

But I'm going to withold final judgement because this could be the precursor to another trade or a way to bulster our bench with cheap young players while leaving room for the Billy Wagner/BJ Ryan/Molinas of the world.

But we have to make a trade for a cleanup hitter and I though Cameron would be a good piece for a trade like that. Apparently not in Minayas mind.

Its weird because I don't really criticize Minaya as much as I would if it were Bradway. I think Minaya is just a very good GM. Hes not mistake free but if he knew football like he does baseball I'd take his style and aggressiveness over Terry B's laziness anyday of the week.

The question is, how much is Cameron worth? Considering he's 33, isn't cheap, had a major head injury, and doesn't want to play here, I'd say not much more than Nady. And I think Cameron's value lowers the closer we get to Spring Training.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    First reaction was that this trade is terrible.

But I'm going to withold final judgement because this could be the precursor to another trade or a way to bulster our bench with cheap young players while leaving room for the Billy Wagner/BJ Ryan/Molinas of the world.

But we have to make a trade for a cleanup hitter and I though Cameron would be a good piece for a trade like that. Apparently not in Minayas mind.

Its weird because I don't really criticize Minaya as much as I would if it were Bradway. I think Minaya is just a very good GM. Hes not mistake free but if he knew football like he does baseball I'd take his style and aggressiveness over Terry B's laziness anyday of the week.
    i totally agree with everyword in this post

Now that I'm thinking about it over again, I think the Mets made a bad trade. I don't know how good Nady is going to be (he hasn't shown to be an everyday player yet), but the fact is the Mets should have gotten more for Cameron. Cameron has high value in that he's a good defensive CFer and the market is starved for those.

Personally, I've never felt that Minaya has been a good GM. He's looked allright with the Mets because he's had a ton of money to spend, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    Hes not mistake free but if he knew football like he does baseball I'd take his style and aggressiveness over Terry B's laziness anyday of the week.
    He's been very aggressive because he has a ton of money to spend. I don't know how that makes you a very good GM. Billy Beane and Terry Ryan, in my mind, are great GM's.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Now that I'm thinking about it over again, I think the Mets made a bad trade. I don't know how good Nady is going to be (he hasn't shown to be an everyday player yet), but the fact is the Mets should have gotten more for Cameron. Cameron has high value in that he's a good defensive CFer and the market is starved for those.

Personally, I've never felt that Minaya has been a good GM. He's looked allright with the Mets because he's had a ton of money to spend, but we will see.
    I think you're overestimating Cameron's value for the reasons I've listed above.

And we can't evaluate Omar until he's had a chance in NY. It's hard to judge him based on his stint with a franchise that was then in jeopardy of being contracted.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    He's been very aggressive because he has a ton of money to spend. I don't know how that makes you a very good GM. Billy Beane and Terry Ryan, in my mind, are great GM's.
    he didn't just mean aggressive with money. omar's MO is exploring all of the options.