Thread: OT: Marbury Shows His True Colors

OT: Marbury Shows His True Colors

"Brown wants Marbury to learn when to be aggressive and when to get others involved, but the controlled approach feels restrictive. "I shouldn't have to go on the court and decide where I'm going to be aggressive," Marbury said. "I should be able to be aggressive the whole time."

This statement encapsulates Marbury's whole career and explains why he has nevef won a damn thing. The guy actually pointed out how he scored 45 against Kobe last year when they met and LOST BY 10!

To Borrow Herm's Modus, Hey Stephen YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Not pad your stats, and that's what the guy does. Give any player with some talent the ball enough and they can put up this guy's stats.

TRADE STEPHON NOW! Is there anyone/s we could get that would make it worth it.

PLEASE MODS DON"T MOVE THIS.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

wow that didn't take long...

I guess 7 power forwards and 8 shooting guards makes it tough

Only took 8 games. Someone is going and it is not LB.

Larry Brown is trying to see if Marbury can or cant play for him. He dealt with Iverson because Iverson gave 110% on the court for him and was one of the best in the league. Marbury is nowhere near AI's talent level nor is he ever giving 110% on the court it seems.

Brown is taking the approach with him that is either going to open Marbury's eyes up or make it so bad that teams think they can steal Marbury for 1 or 2 crummy players with bigger deals. Brown will take that back in a heartbeat. I have a feeling there are about 4 or 5 guys who Brown would love to see off this team who all have decent sized deals.

Veteran
    haha

us Nets own the knicks

we got rid of marbury cuz he is loser.

watch kidd, carter, and jefferson play sometime

you may see something interesting.

Brown is trying to change marbury into something that he is not. Marbs is not steve nash. Marbs has played on bad teams his whole career, so he tries to make something out of nothing. now all of the sudden marbs is being told we dont want you to score 20 points today, that is hard to take for a PG. thats like telling your RB we dont want you to run for 1000 yards this season. no PG is going to be happy in that role. Marbury is a shooter, let him do his thing. The same thing happened in detroit. Billups wasnt happy with his role at first but once he bought into his system they started winning and he became a happy player. Give marbury time to buy into browns system, things can change

Also, why does every knick fan expect marbury to dominate every aspect of the offense? Marbs is not a superstar, he is just an above average PG. Everyone wants him gone or traded, who are you gonna get that is better? I would say he is a top 10 PG. i would rank him around 6 or 7, this is not easily replaced.

[QUOTE=Vilma4Prez]Brown is trying to change marbury into something that he is not. Marbs is not steve nash. Marbs has played on bad teams his whole career, so he tries to make something out of nothing. now all of the sudden marbs is being told we dont want you to score 20 points today, that is hard to take for a PG. thats like telling your RB we dont want you to run for 1000 yards this season. no PG is going to be happy in that role. Marbury is a shooter, let him do his thing. The same thing happened in detroit. Billups wasnt happy with his role at first but once he bought into his system they started winning and he became a happy player. Give marbury time to buy into browns system, things can change
    [QUOTE]

A PG being told not to score 20 should not be hard to take. A PG should always think pass first shoot second not the other way around. Marbury is a bad team player. He is always going to look for his short first and second. In his mind the third option is the pass. He never has any confidence in his teammates. And dont say he always played on bad teams. The Nets went to the finals the year after he left. The Suns turnaround was dramatic. Yeah they had some new players but how is Q's game in NY comparing to the one he had going on with the Suns. Ask anyone on those teams who they prefer and its not going to be Marbury.

Marbury needs to accept his new role as a team player and not sulk and demand a switch to the two spot. He said it was his dream to play in NY. Well hes going to lose his dream pretty quickly if he doesnt change his tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    A PG being told not to score 20 should not be hard to take. A PG should always think pass first shoot second not the other way around. Marbury is a bad team player. He is always going to look for his short first and second. In his mind the third option is the pass. He never has any confidence in his teammates. And dont say he always played on bad teams. The Nets went to the finals the year after he left. The Suns turnaround was dramatic. Yeah they had some new players but how is Q's game in NY comparing to the one he had going on with the Suns. Ask anyone on those teams who they prefer and its not going to be Marbury.

Marbury needs to accept his new role as a team player and not sulk and demand a switch to the two spot. He said it was his dream to play in NY. Well hes going to lose his dream pretty quickly if he doesnt change his tune.
    Marbs scored 4 points in his last game. he is doing what brown wants. he is also questioning how scoring 4 points opposed to 20 is helping the team. Marbs can average 20 points and 8 assists(his career averages) So why is it better for the team if he gets 4 points and 10 assists (what brown wants)

i think marbs gets a lot of unfair blame. he is a top 10 PG

Jets Insider VIP

I'm a Big Fan of Starbury, But...

He's an idiot, plain and simple. Play the game. Do what the coach wants and excell at it. If you can't, you're a bum. I'm really dissapointed at the news.

I saw him on Quite Frankly the other day, and he said he's better than Kidd. Then he responded to the issue of making players around him better by saying he can't change the way other people play, all he can do is play his game. Sums it up perfectly, the guy just doesn't get it. He's a much better scorer than Kidd, but he's not half the point guard Kidd is, nor will he ever be. You want gaudy numbers on a losing team, Marbury's your man. Want to win games? Kidd over Marbury without a second thought.

All League
    marbury is a sg, not having a PG is a problem sure, but him playing PG is just as bad

Quote Originally Posted by Vilma4Prez
    Marbs scored 4 points in his last game. he is doing what brown wants. he is also questioning how scoring 4 points opposed to 20 is helping the team. Marbs can average 20 points and 8 assists(his career averages) So why is it better for the team if he gets 4 points and 10 assists (what brown wants)

i think marbs gets a lot of unfair blame. he is a top 10 PG
    The assist numbers dont matter. Ill use Kidd as an example since he is the best PG of his generation even though its obvious the knee injury has him playing at a much lower level that 2002. Kidd averaged close to 9 or 10 assists a game. Marbury averages close to that, but there is a big difference. Kidd finds guys who end up getting to the stripe. If Kidd gets credit for guys who he feeds the ball to who get fouled his numbers rise from 9 to probably 14 or 15 per game. And he also makes the first pass that leads to a second to lead to the basket. If you make it like hockey Kidd is basically setting up about 20 baskets a game in his prime which is about 43-47 of his teams points. Thats huge. Taking all of that intio account for Starbury and you would end up with maybe 9 or 10, not much more than his statistical average.

When the Nets ran the break you could see the ball go from one basket to the other without every touching the floor. That was all Kidd. Marbury takes the "this is so easy I cant pass it up" type of pass while Jason thinks find a guy with his style. you cant deny who has been more successful. Its not even close despite what Marbury thinks.

What Brown wants from the guy is to get between 10-15 points a game and his 10 assists on the stat sheet, but he wants his passes to lead to 16-20 baskets a game not just the 10 he may get playing the Marbury way. If you get more guys involved youll see them play at a higher level on the court. Look at the Suns pre-Marbury and post Marbury. In both cases they play better without him because they feel wanted and useful. They dont feel llike an extra cog out there watching the Marbury show. Marbury getting a few points a night but constantly getting his guys the ball where they have a chance to score is going to be 100% better than Marbury getting his 20 and 8. You'll see better effort on both sides of the floor for the Knicks. more movement more energy.

Nobody denies Marbury is a talented player. Id probably say he is a top 10 PG even though his teams lose, but he could be alot more. Hes not in Kidd or Nashs league, but he could be if he put his mind to it. He has alot more ability than Kidd and should be better than Nash. Marbury has the ability to be the best PG in the NBa, but he has this mindset like he is Allen Iverson or Kobe Bryant. When it comes to scoring he is nowhere near their league. Until he accepts that he is going to end up out of the playoffs and maybe on another team by 2006.