Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guys all seriousness: How did it get THIS BAD?

One thing that gets me w/ herm. How friggin hard is it to use Two RBS effectively. Just saw Tuna using Barber and Jones. Why cant we do this effectively on a consistent basis ? we didn't mix in Lamont wenough in 4 years. blaylock was MIA the first 4 games. Now no sign of Houston. Is it an OC thing or is it Herm? Infuriating.

[QUOTE=LesterLyles]
    We can blame the D all we want but its hard to play well when your O keeps giving the other team the ball.
    [/QUOTE]

I am so sick of hearing this bull**** excuse. The Jets defense is getting pummeled right out of the locker room. The first Bronco series of the game is the same as we've been seeing every week: They just galloped down the field with hardly a fight and scored a TD.

Yeah, they have been on the field a lot this year, and maybe they are demoralized at this point. But if that's the case, then that's the same as saying they've given up, which is what they look like: defeated. For that state of affairs, you have to blame the coaches.

All Pro
    thank you Ray-I'm sick of the excuses-Herm and his staff OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE have failed to have this team ready to go since the first KC drive on opening day-for THAT they are responsible

All Pro
    I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game, HOW IN GODS NAME DO WE HAVE 4 CARRIES THE ENTIRE GAME WITH OUR RB'S???

[QUOTE=Gastineau99Forever]he is PART of the problem.... I can't remember the last tackle he made this season... with Ellis ans Abe on the same line... a #4 over all pick sould be making some plays... no??? To think of what we could have had with 2 first rounders![/QUOTE]
    ellis has done **** this season too.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac]I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game, HOW IN GODS NAME DO WE HAVE 4 CARRIES THE ENTIRE GAME WITH OUR RB'S???[/QUOTE]

Oh man you missed a classic it'll soon be on ESPN classics MEglo-don't ask-it was worse than even the score indicated 1st drive by Denver 94 yards just like KC-nothing changes if nothing changes-and it appears that we're on our way to the worst Jets season in history-maybe one more win than Kotite-but a worse team

Banned

He's gone..

[QUOTE=sourceworx]How can anyone say Herm should stay now? What I saw today was a team that is lifeless.

[B]He's totally lost this team. Keeping Herm will be a bigger mistake than any other move this organization has ever made. Mark my words.[/B][/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure we are not looking at the whole picture here.. of course Herm and the front office has to say that he is staying on..Herm because of tampering accusations and the front office for compensation purposes..in my mind Herm already has one foot out the door..

Veteran
    Maybe if our Defense would stop letting the practice squad play in the 1st half every game we wouldnt always have to play from behind. Our D plays the 1st half like they do the 2nd, some games we can win or atleast keep close, who cares seasons over.

[QUOTE=LesterLyles]We were a good team last year. Say what you will about Herm, Bradway whatever. We were a top 6 team in the league last year. How did it get this bad? The easy answer is QB and turnovers. I guess that is true. It was bad even w/o the QB situation, though. The KC game was no fluke. What happened??[/QUOTE]
    4 years of bad drafts (Vilma is the acception)... 4 years of bad free agent aquisitions and 4 years of bad trades!!! SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

[QUOTE=BroadwayRay]I am so sick of hearing this bull**** excuse. The Jets defense is getting pummeled right out of the locker room. The first Bronco series of the game is the same as we've been seeing every week: They just galloped down the field with hardly a fight and scored a TD.

Yeah, they have been on the field a lot this year, and maybe they are demoralized at this point. But if that's the case, then that's the same as saying they've given up, which is what they look like: defeated. For that state of affairs, you have to blame the coaches.[/QUOTE]

TRU

[QUOTE=BroadwayRay]I am so sick of hearing this bull**** excuse. The Jets defense is getting pummeled right out of the locker room. The first Bronco series of the game is the same as we've been seeing every week: They just galloped down the field with hardly a fight and scored a TD.

Yeah, they have been on the field a lot this year, and maybe they are demoralized at this point. But if that's the case, then that's the same as saying they've given up, which is what they look like: defeated. For that state of affairs, you have to blame the coaches.[/QUOTE]
    ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY

Its just not a good team. Plain and simple. I'm a believer that in sports sometimes things just go right for teams even though there is no reason for it to happen. You see it all the time. Remember the KC Chiefs of 2003? Or the Browns in 2002? Its a psychological thing at times. When you are playing well it tends to carry over to the next game and the next one and next one after that. And then when it goes bad it goes really bad, such as the Baltimore Orioles this season. Its the only way to explain how a team like the Bills or even our Jets can be respectable at home yet look like a high school team every time they leave their own field.

We were fooled in 2004. The Jets played as soft a schedule as you could get, even though they probably played more playoff teams that anyone else. Early in the season during our 5 in a row deal we beat some of the most pathetic NFL teams and had to struggle to do so. But a win is a win and it builds confidence in the club. The Jets got more confident with every game especially defensively. When we made a few bad plays we had a turnover to bail us out. When we played a good offense more often than not we found a way to at least shut down one part of their game.

But it didnt carry over to 2004. It rarely does. Our guys came into this season way too confident. That Giant scrimmage was a curse. "We play with our helmets on" ...well maybe someone should tell the team they should do that. It was like a classic bully theme. Hit them one time and watch them stagger. Thats always been the way to beat up on the Ravens the last few years. And thats what we had going on here. Kansas City smacked up around. Carolina smacked us. Buffalo. Denver today. Our defense is vastly inferior than what we all expected. Robertson has been pushed around all season and Ellis a non factor. Vilma is showing the problems with his size, which was really evident today when Mike Anderson just ran over him a few times. Last year we saw guys pile on at the hit. This year its in our heads that we cant stop it so the help comes late, if at all. the Jets are very soft up the middle which is the one spot you dont want to be. Our defense is one step up from garbage right now.

Offensively I had hoped our line would hold out one more season. I thought it would. I figured the front office would never make the same mistake they made with our LB corps in 2003, but they did. They were so focused on our free agents who were never staying here in the first place and finding a kicker and a TE(which was the most worthless need for the team even though the fans have been screaming for it)that I feel they did not properly evaluate the team.

And to top it off we just were not prepared when the year began. Herm made the biggest blunder of the year naming Chad Pennnington the starting QB. With a new offensive system including 3 new starters the preseason was not the time to be *****footing around with Chad getting some snaps and Jay getting some snaps. Guys are learning new blocking schemes and plays. You need a steady QB to work with during that time. Not someone coming off surgery that is so far behind the rest of the team. It also affected Pennington who was not able to handle the actual game hits. His play got progressively worse until he was fully reinjured. So nobody knew what was going on offensively heading into the year and in week one we put the ball on the ground or in the opponents hands 8 thousand times. It was mass chaos. Bringing in Vinny just led to more of it, especially when Mawae went down. Another QB trying to mesh with a line that hasnt even found its identity yet. Our best game was against the Bucs because we dumbed it down for the week and everyone played better and got somewhat on the same page.

I really thought we could win next year even with what we had. I dont think so anymore. The coach lost this team last year in Pittsburgh. When Herm says he has done an awful job since then I think he knows he had to do more to get them focused again and he did not. You have to cut ties with the man. When it gets to the level its at it rarely comes back to an acceptable level. Thats how you get those lame duck coaches who are let go during the year or after the following year and another bad campaign. The team needs something like 7 new faces on offense and they need another 4 on defense. Thats something that doesnt get done in one year. It gets done in 3 years and thats if you have competent people drafting them and teaching them to play in the NFL. Im not sure we have them in Bradway and Herm.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jason423]Its just not a good team. Plain and simple. I'm a believer that in sports sometimes things just go right for teams even though there is no reason for it to happen. You see it all the time. Remember the KC Chiefs of 2003? Or the Browns in 2002? Its a psychological thing at times. When you are playing well it tends to carry over to the next game and the next one and next one after that. And then when it goes bad it goes really bad, such as the Baltimore Orioles this season. Its the only way to explain how a team like the Bills or even our Jets can be respectable at home yet look like a high school team every time they leave their own field.

We were fooled in 2004. The Jets played as soft a schedule as you could get, even though they probably played more playoff teams that anyone else. Early in the season during our 5 in a row deal we beat some of the most pathetic NFL teams and had to struggle to do so. But a win is a win and it builds confidence in the club. The Jets got more confident with every game especially defensively. When we made a few bad plays we had a turnover to bail us out. When we played a good offense more often than not we found a way to at least shut down one part of their game.

But it didnt carry over to 2004. It rarely does. Our guys came into this season way too confident. That Giant scrimmage was a curse. "We play with our helmets on" ...well maybe someone should tell the team they should do that. It was like a classic bully theme. Hit them one time and watch them stagger. Thats always been the way to beat up on the Ravens the last few years. And thats what we had going on here. Kansas City smacked up around. Carolina smacked us. Buffalo. Denver today. Our defense is vastly inferior than what we all expected. Robertson has been pushed around all season and Ellis a non factor. Vilma is showing the problems with his size, which was really evident today when Mike Anderson just ran over him a few times. Last year we saw guys pile on at the hit. This year its in our heads that we cant stop it so the help comes late, if at all. the Jets are very soft up the middle which is the one spot you dont want to be. Our defense is one step up from garbage right now.

Offensively I had hoped our line would hold out one more season. I thought it would. I figured the front office would never make the same mistake they made with our LB corps in 2003, but they did. They were so focused on our free agents who were never staying here in the first place and finding a kicker and a TE(which was the most worthless need for the team even though the fans have been screaming for it)that I feel they did not properly evaluate the team.

And to top it off we just were not prepared when the year began. Herm made the biggest blunder of the year naming Chad Pennnington the starting QB. With a new offensive system including 3 new starters the preseason was not the time to be *****footing around with Chad getting some snaps and Jay getting some snaps. Guys are learning new blocking schemes and plays. You need a steady QB to work with during that time. Not someone coming off surgery that is so far behind the rest of the team. It also affected Pennington who was not able to handle the actual game hits. His play got progressively worse until he was fully reinjured. So nobody knew what was going on offensively heading into the year and in week one we put the ball on the ground or in the opponents hands 8 thousand times. It was mass chaos. Bringing in Vinny just led to more of it, especially when Mawae went down. Another QB trying to mesh with a line that hasnt even found its identity yet. Our best game was against the Bucs because we dumbed it down for the week and everyone played better and got somewhat on the same page.

I really thought we could win next year even with what we had. I dont think so anymore. The coach lost this team last year in Pittsburgh. When Herm says he has done an awful job since then I think he knows he had to do more to get them focused again and he did not. You have to cut ties with the man. When it gets to the level its at it rarely comes back to an acceptable level. Thats how you get those lame duck coaches who are let go during the year or after the following year and another bad campaign. The team needs something like 7 new faces on offense and they need another 4 on defense. Thats something that doesnt get done in one year. It gets done in 3 years and thats if you have competent people drafting them and teaching them to play in the NFL. Im not sure we have them in Bradway and Herm.[/QUOTE]

after reading all that i forget what the topic was

[QUOTE=Jason423]Its just not a good team. Plain and simple. I'm a believer that in sports sometimes things just go right for teams even though there is no reason for it to happen. You see it all the time. Remember the KC Chiefs of 2003? Or the Browns in 2002? Its a psychological thing at times. When you are playing well it tends to carry over to the next game and the next one and next one after that. And then when it goes bad it goes really bad, such as the Baltimore Orioles this season. Its the only way to explain how a team like the Bills or even our Jets can be respectable at home yet look like a high school team every time they leave their own field.

I really thought we could win next year even with what we had. I dont think so anymore. The coach lost this team last year in Pittsburgh. When Herm says he has done an awful job since then I think he knows he had to do more to get them focused again and he did not. You have to cut ties with the man. When it gets to the level its at it rarely comes back to an acceptable level. Thats how you get those lame duck coaches who are let go during the year or after the following year and another bad campaign. The team needs something like 7 new faces on offense and they need another 4 on defense. Thats something that doesnt get done in one year. It gets done in 3 years and thats if you have competent people drafting them and teaching them to play in the NFL. Im not sure we have them in Bradway and Herm.[/QUOTE]

Nice job! Agree with everything.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX]See, right there is the problem.

The Jets were [B]NOT[/B] a very good team last year.

Backing into the playoffs and getting beat before the AFC championship game is not a very good team.

Same old Jets.[/QUOTE]

PatsFanTX, if your are saying that the Jets were not a "good team" last year then that's simply foolish. But what should I expect from someone from Texas being a fan of a New England team and has thousands of posts on another team's fansite. That is a really pathetic use of your not so valuable time.

The Jets were a good team last year and had the makings of an upper echelon team this year so long as certain question marks were answered in their favor. Unfortunately, all the answers were against them.

The thing with Herm is that he his not the type of HC that makes his team or his players better. He is like Terry Francona. The team needs to manage themselves and take the coach/manager along for the ride. There was a famous interview with Kevin Millar after Boston won WS. He said that before game 7 of the Yankee-Red Sox game the players took shots of Jack Daniels and told each other that they should "take the game out of Tito's (Francona's knickname) hands," meaning that they should score so many runs that Francona can't screw it up. And that is Herm. When the players went down, the team didn't have the weapons to "take the game out" of Herm's hands.
    Last edited by SMC; 11-20-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=SMC]

1). PatsFanTX, if your are saying that the Jets were not a "good team" last year then that's simply foolish.

2). The Jets were a good team last year and had the makings of an upper echelon team this year so long as certain question marks were answered in their favor. Unfortunately, all the answers were against them.

3). The thing with Herm is that he his not the type of HC that makes his team or his players better. [/QUOTE]

Point #1: The Jets were a mediocre team last year. They lucked out by backing into the playoffs and winning one playoff game because a rookie kicker choked.

Point #2: The Jets an "upper echelon team"? Please, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Point #3: I agree with you 100%.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX]Point #1: The Jets were a mediocre team last year. They lucked out by backing into the playoffs and winning one playoff game because a rookie kicker choked.

Point #2: The Jets an "upper echelon team"? Please, that is absolutely ridiculous.

[/QUOTE]

Mediocre team? Now that is ridiculous. They "backed into the playoff" only because they won 10 games, which only a few teams in the NFL did last year. Those 2 wins were so good enough they didn't even need to win the last two. And saying that they won was because a rookie kicker choked shows your 68 IQ. The "rookie kicker" wouldn't even have gotten a chance to "choke" if Barton didn't get that roughing the passer penalty. And, to flip your argument, the only reason the 15-1 team Steeler team won was because the Jets' kicker choked. The Steelers won only 1 playoff game last year, I guess they are mediocre by your standards PatsFanTX.

Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said that the Jets had the "makings" of an upper echelon team if certain question marks were answered in their favor. I did not say they were an upper echelon team to start the season.

Banned
    [QUOTE=SMC]

Mediocre team? Now that is ridiculous. They "backed into the playoff" only because they won 10 games, which only a few teams in the NFL did last year. [B]Those 2 wins were so good enough they didn't even need to win the last two.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Dude, at least get your facts straight.

The Jets were playing golf if the Bills didn't lose to the Steelers 3rd stringers.

Jets could have clinched a playoff berth outright but they let Mark Bulger rip that over rated defense for 450 yards.

[QUOTE=LesterLyles]We were a good team last year. Say what you will about Herm, Bradway whatever. We were a top 6 team in the league last year. How did it get this bad? The easy answer is QB and turnovers. I guess that is true. It was bad even w/o the QB situation, though. The KC game was no fluke. What happened??[/QUOTE]

--Easy Schedule in 2004. Harder in 2005.
    --Multiple QB Injuries.
    --Injuries in General, especially to the O-line.
    --Very weak play from an old RB past his sell-by date.
    --Defense that wasn't as good as advertised, havibg to play way too much.
    --Poor Coaching and Personnel decisions, i.e loss of key Free Agents, and failure of newly-Jet FA's.
    --Bad Luck.

Most of what has befallen this team was, in fact, quite easily forseen. Chad being injury prone? O-line getting old/young, but weaker, Curtis becoming a 2-yards-cloud-o-dust RB? Bad pickups in Coles, JMac, Law, Nugent, Pouha, Jolly, etc etc etc.

Combine all these various failures, and you ahve a 2-14 team in the making.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NOFX]Jets are cursed. They also went 10-6 with a pretty soft schedule in 04.[/QUOTE]
    and barely won against some very weak teams!