Thread: The Bears Are Going to the Super Bowl

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bears Are Going to the Super Bowl

Write it down, stamp it, and seal it. Who's going to beat them? They own the NFC after this week.....

Carolina as Sports Illustrated's SB favorites? Not after this Sunday, that front four reaked havoc on Carolina, and Kyle Orton finally found his Dilfer-esque nitch this week in the club. This was supposed to be the NFC's best, and with the exception of Steve Smith, Chicago made them look completely incompetent.

The Giants? Darren Sharper had Eli's head spinning in circles, think about what Mike Brown and Robbie Gould will do to him, along with that pass rush.

The Cowboys? You think Drew "Gump" Bledsoe isn't going to choke against Lovie Smith's pressure schemes that played havoc with Jake Delhomme?

The Redskins?? Yeah, they beat the Bears, in week 1, at home, before they found their groove. As they said about Samir in Office Space, "nogonna, nogonna, nogonna, nogonna, not gonna work here anymore anyways..."

The Seahawks? No way does Hasselbeck get by with the type of play like he had today against the Bears.

Atlanta? Sorry, but when it all comes down to it and the Bears stuff the DVD combo, they're going to have to throw the ball, and Atlanta can't throw the ball.

Tampa?? Chris Simms has NEVER faced a defense like this. You'll see next week, defenses don't fold a week after they have a game like Urlacher and Co had today....

They've won six straight while giving up 11 points A GAME. Any criticisms involving their schedule were answered today. The Bears will make the playoffs, and they will have homefield advantage.

Look at the rest of their schedule...
    Tampa
    Green Bay
    Pittsburgh
    Atlanta
    Green Bay
    Minnesota

Bottom line, they're taking at least 4 of those games, maybe 5. And yes, they will beat Atlanta, at home, in December. Why? B/C they don't lose at home.

Trust me, take it from as loyal a Jet fan as any of you out there, if you're looking for some exciting underdog, hardnosed football to watch due to Gang Green playing worse then friggin ARIZONA, watch the new Monsters of the Midway, unless they're on at the same time as us and you feel like your own karma actually wills us towards the number one draft pick If you thought the 2000 Baltimore defense was exciting to watch, wait until you see these guys.

Imagine the Colts offense against this defense in Detroit......

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Bears defense ... it's awesome ... but there's no way the Bears are Going to the SB with the Kyle Orton at QB

[B]1. He's a rookie

2. He's not any Good[/B]

Both will be exposed in the post season

AGAIN, I love their defense, but in the post season you need a QB who can make a few plays as well

Panthers had a rough day in Chitown today, but I'd bet on them again verses the Bears in the playoffs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]I love the Bears defense ... it's awesome ... but there's no way the Bears are Going to the SB with the Kyle Orton at QB

[B]1. He's a rookie

2. He's not any Good[/B]

Both will be exposed in the post season

AGAIN, I love their defense, but in the post season you need a QB who can make a few plays as well

Panthers had a rough day in Chitown today, but I'd bet on them again verses the Bears in the playoffs[/QUOTE]

Not if the Bears get homefield advantage, which they will. And Orton's found his role, he might not be any good, but he's not horrible either, meaning he's not going to lose the game for the defense, which he has certainly proved over the last 6 weeks.

To not screw the game up in the type of game he had today, that says something, he's getting better, and when he doesn't have to travel come playoff time he'll be just fine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]

To not screw the game up in the type of game he had today, that says something, he's getting better, and when he doesn't have to travel come playoff time he'll be just fine.[/QUOTE]
    Today he was 15 for 26, 136 Yards, 1 TD and 1 INT ... and that was one of his better days!

I Just don't see it as possible ... as much as I love the Bears defense, I believe Orton will KILL THEM in the post season

Last year BIG BEN had one of the all-time Great seasons for a rookie, but when the post season started he looked his age ... suddenly became a mistake prone neophyte

Orton hasn't been anywhere's near as good as Ben was last year ... in truth, Orton has been awful ... IMO that will only be moreso in the post season

We'll see

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bear's have definitely impressed me - especially today. You make some really nice points.

My bet in the NFC is still the Cowboys though, I see them taking the East and running off into the playoffs. Bledsoe may not be the best QB in the world, but I don't mind his skills when he has time in the pocket. Glenn's a gamechanger that most people don't notice, and Keyshawn makes plays AND blocks for the run game.

My concerns with that team would be their suspect secondary (mainly from the S position), and the health of Julius Jones and their awesome offensive line. Marion Barber has been decent at that position, but I wouldn't trust him to make the big play (he's a little turnover friendly too). They got Cundiff back, so they have the long distance foot that cost them some games early on.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the Seahawks either - but I've been burned year after year with that pick, and their close call against the Niners today seals them out for me.

Bears are good but I'd be surprised to see them take either team come postseason.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Pick in the NFC is Seattle

Not because their a Great team, but they have an experienced QB, they're playing well, and I Just think their in the best position to make a run verses a bunch of flawed teams

If the Bears had a QB they'd be scary ... IMO they have the best defense in football by a wide margin, and I wrote a long post about that on this board well over a month ago ... at the time there was a lot of "they haven't played anyone, blah blah blah", but I think that opinion has been validated now

Their defense is insane!

Today they had 8 Sacks and 2 Picks ... maybe a fumble recovery to boot?

BUT FORGET ALL THAT ... the fact that they're winning consistantly with Kyle Orton tells you how dominant their defense has been

They're Gettin back to the days of the 85 Bears :eek:
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 11-21-2005 at 02:52 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]Today he was 15 for 26, 136 Yards, 1 TD and 1 INT ... and that was one of his better days!

I Just don't see it as possible ... as much as I love the Bears defense, I believe Orton will KILL THEM in the post season

Last year BIG BEN had one of the all-time Great seasons for a rookie, but when the post season started he looked his age ... suddenly became a mistake prone neophyte

Orton hasn't been anywhere's near as good as Ben was last year ... in truth, Orton has been awful ... IMO that will only be moreso in the post season

We'll see[/QUOTE]

I knew someone was going to break out the Big Ben comparisons, it had to be you Ham, you broke me heart....you broke my heart......

Seriously though, you're negating 2 things...

1. Orton is completing 54% of his passes in an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time. If he does start playing badly enough that the defense can't bail him out, Grossman will be returning from his injury soon and will definitely be hungry to get in there and get the ball moving. He's the starter for now, but they have a very good insurance policy coming back very soon in case it gets to be too much for him to handle.

2. Further, come playoff time, Cedric Benson will have returned from his injury, giving them a backfield of Jones, Benson, and Peterson. That is one heck of a trifecta. He won't even have the oppurtunity to lose the game for them. Yeah, the Steelers had a good running game and defense to back up Ben, but their D wasn't this good, not even close. Statistically through 10 games, this Bears D is better than the 85 Bears D.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seattle is actually my pick for the only team to beat the Colts this year, but after that subpar performance in San Fran today I just don't see it. If the niners D and offense could keep up with Seattle imagine what Chicago will do.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]

I knew someone was going to break out the Big Ben comparisons, it had to be you Ham, you broke me heart....you broke my heart......

Seriously though, you're negating 2 things...

1. Orton is completing 54% of his passes in an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time. If he does start playing badly enough that the defense can't bail him out, Grossman will be returning from his injury soon and will definitely be hungry to get in there and get the ball moving. He's the starter for now, but they have a very good insurance policy coming back very soon in case it gets to be too much for him to handle.

2. Further, come playoff time, Cedric Benson will have returned from his injury, giving them a backfield of Jones, Benson, and Peterson. That is one heck of a trifecta. He won't even have the oppurtunity to lose the game for them. Yeah, the Steelers had a good running game and defense to back up Ben, but their D wasn't this good, not even close. Statistically through 10 games, this Bears D is better than the 85 Bears D.[/QUOTE]
    I see what your saying Rutgers, and it has some merit ... they can win like the 2000 Ravens, with a powerful running game and an overwhelming defense

That is definitely possible in todays watered down NFL ... that's why the Ravens could do it ... but I was raised at a time when you had NO SHOT in the post season without a QB who could at least make a few plays of his own, so it's tough for me to accept that it can happen

I still think you do need your QB to make some plays in the PS ... and not make awful mistakes ... but theoretically you're right, with their defense and a strong running game {in todays NFL} it is possible

BTW, I know very well how awesome the Bears defense is ... I was the first person to tout their D as the best in the league in a long post, on this board ... I posted that last month and a bunch of people tried to suggest it was the product of their weak schedule, blah blah blah ... but I knew their defense was awesome, if for no other reason they kept winning games with Kyle Orton playing like dog$hit :D

I kept thinking ... if that was our defense we would be winning even with Vinny at QB :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 11-21-2005 at 02:53 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]

Seattle is actually my pick for the only team to beat the Colts this year, but after that subpar performance in San Fran today I just don't see it. If the niners D and offense could keep up with Seattle imagine what Chicago will do.[/QUOTE]
    Nah, don't fall into that trap RJF ... that's Just the product of a letdown ... it's tough to take the 49ers serious ... it's actually the mark of a Good team when you can have a letdown and still win, even verses bad teams

A lesser team loses when they have a letdown, verses anyone ... even one of the dregs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]Nah, don't fall into that trap RJF ... that's Just the product of a letdown ... it's tough to take the 49ers serious ... it's actually the mark of a Good team when you can have a letdown and still win, even verses bad teams

A lesser team loses when they have a letdown, verses anyone ... even one of the dregs[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't sleep on San Fran at all, they actually have one of the best run defenses in the league, which I was shocked to learn a few weeks back when I started Tiki Barber on my fantasy team with such confidence that he'd have a 200 yard day, only to be severly dissapointed.

With Seattle, I just don't see it, especially when they're on the road. And there's no way that recieving core is holding up against the Bears secondary. I firmly believe Chicago is getting homefield advantage, and there is no way I see Seattle going into Chicago come playoff time and winning. That front four is solid enough to hold up against maybe the best run blocking line in the NFL (Seattle's), and Urlacher will play like a man possessed when the postseason comes.

In response to the post above that one - The Bears have an o-line, we do not. If we had their defense AND their oline, then yeah, that's definitely something to wish for.

I just can't get on the Seattle bandwagon, they don't get it done on the road. And they have 3 away games left for the season, along with a very tough Giants team next week. They have to finish the season IN Lambeau, possibly against Brett Favre in his last game at home, I don't see them winning that game. McNabb will be back by the time they go to Philly, and if not there's no way they're beating Philly at home. Yeah, they have to go to Tennessee, but I have a feeling that with their recievers coming back by then, plus further experience in Chow's offense the Titans might pull a few wins out, especially at home. So that's 4 games that imo they're gonna lose, resulting in them having to go through Chicago come playoff time. And they ain't winnin' in Chicago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Bears to even have a shot they need home field through the playoffs. The problem is they have no offense on the team and you arent going to win every game 13-10, especially if they step in front of a decent defense. They are probably going to lose at least 3 more games this year. Seattle is on track for 11 or 12 wins and Dallas or New York is going to be right there as well. All of those teams are efficient offensively and all are getting better QB play than Carolina has been getting lately. They also all have better run games than the Panthers.

Jones is going to have to get really hot(Benson is a total non factor this season even if he is back from injury) for the team to have a chance because all you can count on from Orton right now is 1 pass a game to Muhammed for a TD. That wont get it done in the playoffs, especially on the road.