Thread: Remember now this offseason.

Remember now this offseason.

I posted this in another thread:

Remember now this offseason. This offseason people were claiming victory when we did not even play a game. Remember we are a 2-8 team with many holes. It will take time, may be a year may be 2 years, may even be longer than that.

We are a bad team, TEAM, no one player is going to change that. Rookies take time to develop. Bush will not be a savior. Bush would not have made ANY difference in the passed 2 weeeks. When you lose the last 2 games by a combined score of 57-3 your problems are more deep-rooted than a couple of players. This team, FO, and coach needs an overhaul.

Our defense is not good, they could not get a 3 and out when needed to save their lives. You can run and pass on them. Our offense is a disaster. It will take time to fix these problems. So next year when we sign a second string tight end, or a good DT, dont proclaim victory because 3-13 teams do not make the playoffs the next year.

All Pro
    True Ikey, but things can turn around very fast in the NFL these days. The Rams went from 3-13 in 1998 to the SuperBowl in 1999. Anything can happen. The Bears were awful last year and are 7-3 this year. Playing with a last place schedule should help the Jets as well. This team has a tremendous amount of issues, but they could wind up being winners next year. Lets hope they make the right moves this offseason and get back to being contenders (or at least competitive).

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ikeyman3]I posted this in another thread:

Remember now this offseason. This offseason people were claiming victory when we did not even play a game. Remember we are a 2-8 team with many holes. It will take time, may be a year may be 2 years, may even be longer than that.

We are a bad team, TEAM, no one player is going to change that. Rookies take time to develop. Bush will not be a savior. Bush would not have made ANY difference in the passed 2 weeeks. When you lose the last 2 games by a combined score of 57-3 your problems are more deep-rooted than a couple of players. This team, FO, and coach needs an overhaul.

Our defense is not good, they could not get a 3 and out when needed to save their lives. You can run and pass on them. Our offense is a disaster. It will take time to fix these problems. So next year when we sign a second string tight end, or a good DT, dont proclaim victory because 3-13 teams do not make the playoffs the next year.[/QUOTE]

but ikey, who are we if not reigning offseason champions? ;)

Hey anything could happen, we could be decent next year, but I don't want fans procaliming SB victory in June. Don't get your hopes up for 2006 is all I am saying. If we win, fine. If we suck, we were expected to suck. Jets are a much better team with lowered expectations.

DONT EXPECT ANYTHING IN 2006!

I agree, but it doesnt help when the 2 teams we are playing have a combined record of 15-5.

The only difference Reggie Bush would have made is it might have been 57-17 over the last 2 weeks instead of 57-3, and either way thats still ugly. Right now we are looking at a team with NO on-field leadership. We have a cheerleader for a head coach (and an ugly one at that) who refuses to hold his players accountable for their actions (See: Jason Fabini). And we are not going anywhere but down from here for the rest of this season. Hopefully this offseason Woody Johnson will do what is needed and fire both of them.

All Pro
    venom is right-at this point I trust neither Herm or Bradway to right this ship.I never was against this regime-until a couple of weeks ago.Terry Bradway in his post season look ahead last January said"we are going to keep 22 out of our top 25 players"-they included Lamont,Ferguson,Mckenzie,Moss and even Doug Brien.Hey I'm not saying Brien should have stayed and Coles for Santana is still my preference.But he failed to do that-he fails.He has never drafted a pro bowler-do I trust him with our top pick in April?No.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Ikeyman3] dont proclaim victory because 3-13 teams do not make the playoffs the next year.[/QUOTE]

You couldnt be more wrong...Not saying the Jets will do it but in todays NFL, teams can go from worst to first or from first to worst in 1 year...

[QUOTE=LockeJET]You couldnt be more wrong...Not saying the Jets will do it but in todays NFL, teams can go from worst to first or from first to worst in 1 year...[/QUOTE]
    How many 3-13 teams made the playoffs the next year?

Not to mention we will have cap problems this offseason. Not as bad as some say but still significant.

[QUOTE=Ikeyman3]I posted this in another thread:

Our defense is not good, they could not get a 3 and out when needed to save their lives. You can run and pass on them. Our offense is a disaster. It will take time to fix these problems. So next year when we sign a second string tight end, or a good DT, dont proclaim victory because 3-13 teams do not make the playoffs the next year.[/QUOTE]

Maybe...it's certainly possible.

But then there's the fact that the 2004 Jets were a very good football team. It seems like it was so far in the past, but we were a damn good team on both sides of the ball last year. While it's true that 3-13 teams don't usually make the playoffs the next year, it's also true that barring a team-dismantling for salary cap issues, or the retirement of a legend (Marino, Elway, etc...) 10-6 teams don't usually go 3-13 the next season as well.

This would suggest that there's a core of guys on this team that are underperforming this year, which I think is a pretty reasonable statement. Losing your starting QB is demoralizing. Losing [B]every [/B] QB you've got, and a handful of key veterans is crushing. It's certainly not an excuse for this season, but my concern is that in the process of "cleaning house" the organization will probably do more harm than good.

Ideally, I'd like to see key players and the coaching staff step it up at some point and inject some meaning back into this season. I do not think that "blowing up" this team is the best solution. Sure there is dead-weight on this team that needs to be trimmed, but giving up on players is not the solution. I'm still a firm believer that there is key talent on this Jets roster that's basically not showing up for games this year, and it falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff to do their best to try and cleanse this team of the stench of failure...lets we fall into the "same old Jets" mentality next season.

I also don't think that "rebuilding" in the traditional sense of the word is something that can realistically be done, playing in New York. It may sound great on paper to suck it up for a few years before we'll be "good again" (whatever that means), but in reality we've gotta compete every week.