Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The One Move that MUST be Made for the future....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The One Move that MUST be Made for the future....

Put yourself in the Owners shoes.

What ONE Move (not that one will fix it, but just for discussion) MUST be made this offseason to begin the turnaround back to contantion for this franchise??

One move only, please, the one that is the MOST IMPORTANT in your view.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Put yourself in the Owners shoes.

What ONE Move (not that one will fix it, but just for discussion) MUST be made this offseason to begin the turnaround back to contantion for this franchise??

One move only, please, the one that is the MOST IMPORTANT in your view.[/QUOTE]

gm with brains, good talent evaluator

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Figure out a way to renegotiate Chad's contract or the cap will kill us for the next two years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Put yourself in the Owners shoes.

One move only, please, the one that is the MOST IMPORTANT in your view.[/QUOTE]

Fire Bradway. Not a single Pro Bowl player acquired by Bradway from the draft, free agency or via trade from 2001 through 2005. No other GM has that remarkeable acheivement.

Ron Wolf makes sense since it is rumored he is looking to get back in the game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Wolfe

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting Chad Pennington, having any hopes for this guy would be catastrophic.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a new GM!

I said this before,we lost Kareem McKenzie,and Jason Ferguson,and replaced Kareem with an aging Fabini who was coming off a subpar season,and replaced Ferguson with a player who was a career backup in Legree.If we as fans know,you win and lose in the trenches,then tell me why Terry Bradway a supposed football guy doesnt know this.We CANNOT blame Herm for what has happened this year with injuries,we cant even blame Terry Bradway,but we can blame Bradway for not responding to the losses of McKenzie and Ferguson.This team needs depth along the lines and LB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a tough decision between firing Herm or firing Bradway. Then I realized it's not as tough as I originally thought. Fire Bradway, because you know there's no chance in hell a new GM keeps Herm as his new HC. So by making one move (firing Bradway) you end up killing two birds with one stone (Herm getting fired) or possibly even three (new GM & Coach taking care of the Chad situation). Maybe I'm kind of taking a loophole here, but all of this could effectively be done with only one move from the [I]owner[/I], which was the question. ;)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I were Woody I'd fire both Terry & Herm. They have both done some good things over the past 5 years, but it's time to start fresh. If this organization is going to make the decision whether or not to move on from Chad and Curtis, I would like somone unbiased, with no emotional connection to those guys making the decision.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft Reggie Bush

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Offensive linemen scouting reports better be CORRECT.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Competent QB and he is not on the team at this time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HuRRiCaNe ViLMa]Draft Reggie Bush[/QUOTE]

Ditto. And let's build our team around him like the San Diego Chargers have done with Ladanian Tomlinson.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw]Ditto. And let's build our team around him like the San Diego Chargers have done with Ladanian Tomlinson.[/QUOTE]
    Chargers have a solid team even without LT. They did draft Brees in the first round, they found a gem in Gates who is BY FAR the best TE in the NFL. They also found good young talent in the front seven, Merriman is a beast, Donnie Edwards is fantastic, so is Jamal Williams. They are one pass-rushing DE from having one of the brst front sevens in the league.

My point is, Bush is a building block but he is not going to win by himself, we still need lots of things that the Chargers have.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hire Gary Kubiak!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin 45...unbiased thoughts...>

If I'm the owner, my first thoughts are the rash of injuries we sustained. I am sure if we had half the injuries we have, we would be a far better team. I dont like if ands and buts, but the injuries alone save Herm his job. He has made the playoffs 3-4 years here, that tells me it isnt his fault. Talent wise, I think we are definately lacking. I also think we need to make major changes in our roster. Obviously we are over the cap, so first thing is first. We have to deal with Chad. If he and Curtis are unwilling to redo their contracts, as much as I like them for their loyality, they will be cut. I will swallow the cap hit, although huge. Its my understanding that cutting a player effects the next year cap, and not this year. So that means the 12m hit for Chad and the 6m hit for curtis would come of 07. I would do as much as I can to add a quality starting OG and OT in the offseason during FA, and in the draft I would get either Ferguson at LT or Bush if he should fall to me. I think a number of teams would draft Bush, so I dont think its realistic that he would fall...so that means Fergeson. We would also have to address the D-line becuase if Pouha is uneffective as a DT and he is just a backup, then we need to draft in the second round or through FA a solid DT because Vilma is getting hit way to often. (which is way he got into a fight this year, someone wasnt doing their job)

IF we drop chad as the above suggest, we have to go after the best FA QB available, which would probably be Rivers, via a trade. If we use our 1st round pick on Fergeson or Bush, then guess what we have left to offer? Mr Abraham himself. Although Rivers isnt proven. He has an arm, and sitting for two years has had to teach him something. Everyone is probably thinking that trading Abe is stupid. But he isnt having a great year, and I'm not sure if he is the difference maker everyone taughted him to be for the last two years. Its true you cant teach speed, but you also can not teach tuffness, which is obvious he lacks. So in summary we have released Chad and C-Mart, although I think they both will redo their contracts. We gain Rivers via a Abraham trade with San Diego. We pick up a LT in Fergeson, and during FA we pick up a OG that can start either in the place of Moore. During the second round of the draft, we pick up either a QB or the best available Safety, which is also another area of need. Thats my plan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing I would do, if I was the owner? Don't panic. Simple as that.

There's no need to go making drastic changes, just for the sake of making changes. The Jets have a lot to work with. Last thing we want to do is throw the baby out with the bath water.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd fire Terry Bradway and hire Ron Wolf, Jimmy Johnson or Tom Heckert to be The GM.

Let the new head of football operations do what he wants to the staff and team.

Guys like Pennington and Martin get special treatment because they are on good terms with management. New guy comes in and he has no loyalty to them whatsover.

That's my one move. NEW REGIME. Time to start over.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Commissioner]Hire Gary Kubiak!!!![/QUOTE]

And Ron Wolf as GM

Keep current coordinators

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR]The one thing I would do, if I was the owner? Don't panic. Simple as that.

There's no need to go making drastic changes, just for the sake of making changes. The Jets have a lot to work with. Last thing we want to do is throw the baby out with the bath water.[/QUOTE]
    A lot to work with? Would you like to give me some examples of what we have to work with. This is the worst Jet team ever.