Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Knick fans...OH MY GOD!!!

OT: Knick fans...OH MY GOD!!!

Mods don't move this, there's so much bickering going on here and this is too exciting to even ponder....

Garnett to Knicks ESPN Insider rumor
    I dunno why it got deleted before, but the Knicks, and Pistons have been reported as making offers for him. The Pistons have reportedly offered Sheed and Darko, while the Knicks are willing to deal Davis and Penny (expiring contracts). Check it out.

Pistons, Knicks shopping for KG?posted: Monday, November 21, 2005

Get ready for the Kevin Garnett trade rumors, the first of which was quickly shot down Sunday by Kevin McHale and Joe Dumars -- even as others maintained it was legit.
    Both team executives denied there was any truth to talk that made its way around the league over the weekend that the Detroit Pistons were willing to ship a package including Rasheed Wallace and Darko Milicic to Minnesota for Garnett.

The future of the 29-year-old, eight-time All-Star came into question after Garnett's much-discussed interview Thursday night on TNT. Garnett criticized McHale for his handling of the Timberwolves during the troubled 2004-05 season in which Flip Saunders was fired and McHale took over as head coach.

Dumars insisted he had not been in contact with the Wolves regarding Garnett, and McHale also dismissed the rumor, which came as executives from others teams were trying to gauge whether the Timberwolves would seriously consider dealing the franchise player who has been with Minnesota throughout his entire 10-year NBA career. Team owner Glen Taylor told reporters in Minnesota that Garnett has "never, ever" sought a trade.

"We're not trading Garnett," McHale said Sunday night.

The prevailing opinion around the league is that Minnesota, barring a sustained nosedive prior to the All-Star break, would not consider trading Garnett before next summer. With a record of 5-4 following their victory over Charlotte on Saturday night, the Wolves are in first place in the Northwest Division.

Garnett is under contract for $18 million this season, then will make $21 million, $22 million and $23 million over the next three years. With Wally Szczerbiak under contract for an equal number of years ($10 million this season, $11 million, $12 million and $13 million the next three), the Timberwolves would have very little salary cap flexibility for the next half-decade unless they jettisoned their two highest-paid players. Minnesota already has a forward (Mark Madsen) and three guards (Marko Jaric, Troy Hudson and Trenton Hassell) signed at least through the 2009-10 season.

One source told ESPN.com that the New York Knicks had made Minnesota an offer that included the expiring contracts of Penny Hardaway ($15.7 million) and Antonio Davis ($13.9 million). But for such a trade to work under salary cap rules, the Knicks would also have to take back Sczcerbiak. While that deal would be stunningly lopsided talent-wise, it would relieve the Wolves of $102 million in salary obligations over the next three seasons, allowing them to enter the 2006 offseason with approximately $25 million of cap space.

One source close to several NBA players insisted that the viability of the Knicks' offer should not be dismissed, going so far as to say Garnett was making a private push through back channels to be dealt to New York and reunite with former teammate Stephon Marbury.

"I'd bet money he'll be wearing a Knicks uniform by the end of February," the source said.

Another source insisted Detroit's offer of Wallace and Milicic was real, adding that the offer was made through another Pistons official so that Dumars could maintain deniability in case the players came to him for an explanation.

The Nets have also been mentioned as a possible trade partner in a Garnett deal, but it is believed the Wolves would consider a deal with New Jersey only if they could get back Richard Jefferson, whose status as a base-year compensation player under salary cap rules makes him exceedingly difficult to deal. The best offer the Nets could make this season would include Vince Carter, another player (Nenad Krstic?, Mile Ilic?) and a pair of No. 1 picks (their own and the Clippers').

They would definetly want Frye and Lee maybe Ariza as well.

Davis and Penny? You would have to get McHAle really drunk to do that deal, they would probably want 5 first round picks and I would give it to them , seriously.

wow, that would be lopsided. We would take Garnett here in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3

Davis and Penny? You would have to get McHAle really drunk to do that deal, they would probably want 5 first round picks and I would give it to them , seriously.
    That's what I was saying to my roommate before, I'd bet they'd want Frye if that deal were to ever go through, and I think Frye's something special. But it's friggin KEVIN GARNETT. One of the top 5 players in the league and he's only 29, Isiah would be a fool not to take that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ikehitstina
    wow, that would be lopsided. We would take Garnett here in a minute.
    I think it might have to do with the fact that Minnesota's been lagging in the revenue dept, taking on some expiring contracts would be a good move if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    That's what I was saying to my roommate before, I'd bet they'd want Frye if that deal were to ever go through, and I think Frye's something special. But it's friggin KEVIN GARNETT. One of the top 5 players in the league and he's only 29, Isiah would be a fool not to take that deal.
    I love Frye but I would have to include him in a deal for KG, KG is one of the best 3 players in teh league and an MVP in his prime.

All League
    Thanks for posting the story. I was dying all day to hear who we'd give up for KG. I figured it would only happen if we gave up a player like Crawford and some young talent (Frye ) which I think would be a mistake.

But if it only costs us Davis (who's our only REAL muscle on the team as of now) and Penny (his best days are long gone) then it's worth pulling that trigger. Taking Wally would sweeten the deal talent-wise, but the Knicks would be in eternal cap hell for years to come. Considering Layden did the same, this deal isn't bad b/c AT LEAST we BRING IN TALENT unlike in the Layden years where it was nothing but HUGE contracts and mediocre players.

If the Knicks do it, I'm all for it. BUT.......spending that kinda cash put MAJOR pressure on them to win (and they should with that level of young talent across the roster) and they could be this year's Yankees .

I say it's worth the gamble, especially considering how much the Knicks have sucked these past few years.

I SAY PULL THAT TRIGGER ISIAH and celebrate !!!!!!!!

The Garnett trade rumors came out after he made those comments about the organization the other day. I cant imagine the Knicks have a match for him, because thats telling the Wolve fans that its over. Nets and Pistons have the best matches for that team. Id offer Jefferson, Collins and their 2 number 1s for him. I would not offer Carter in place of RJ nor Kristic in any deal.

if the Knicks were to make a deal they would probably hav to give up Penny and Davis plus a bunch of their young talent. That whole draft class may get wiped out if Garnett was going to come here. Id be shocked if they made a deal with the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99
    Thanks for posting the story. I was dying all day to hear who we'd give up for KG. I figured it would only happen if we gave up a player like Crawford and some young talent (Frye ) which I think would be a mistake.

But if it only costs us Davis (who's our only REAL muscle on the team as of now) and Penny (his best days are long gone) then it's worth pulling that trigger. Taking Wally would sweeten the deal talent-wise, but the Knicks would be in eternal cap hell for years to come. Considering Layden did the same, this deal isn't bad b/c AT LEAST we BRING IN TALENT unlike in the Layden years where it was nothing but HUGE contracts and mediocre players.

If the Knicks do it, I'm all for it. BUT.......spending that kinda cash put MAJOR pressure on them to win (and they should with that level of young talent across the roster) and they could be this year's Yankees .

I say it's worth the gamble, especially considering how much the Knicks have sucked these past few years.

I SAY PULL THAT TRIGGER ISIAH and celebrate !!!!!!!!
    www.nykfanpage.com

it's a great insider forum and usually trade rumors make it on there rather quickly. i think a few guys from this forum post over there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    The Garnett trade rumors came out after he made those comments about the organization the other day. I cant imagine the Knicks have a match for him, because thats telling the Wolve fans that its over. Nets and Pistons have the best matches for that team. Id offer Jefferson, Collins and their 2 number 1s for him. I would not offer Carter in place of RJ nor Kristic in any deal.

if the Knicks were to make a deal they would probably hav to give up Penny and Davis plus a bunch of their young talent. That whole draft class may get wiped out if Garnett was going to come here. Id be shocked if they made a deal with the Knicks.
    STOP IT, you're destroying my hope. I have my Reggie Bush Jets jersey and KG Knick jersey on hold for the monute we get them, how dare you destroy my dreams!

I love Frye but I would have to include him in a deal for KG, KG is one of the best 3 players in teh league and an MVP in his prime.
    Top 3? Lets see, Shaq, Duncan, some might say Lebron, Wade, or Jermaine, but their not at his level yet......yeah, he's top 3 alright. OMG would he look good in orange and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99

But if it only costs us Davis (who's our only REAL muscle on the team as of now) and Penny (his best days are long gone) then it's worth pulling that trigger.

Ya think? hahah

get real, that deal is NOT happening. The Nets, who I don't expect to get KG, can do much better than this current rumor.

All League
    www.nykfanpage.com

it's a great insider forum and usually trade rumors make it on there rather quickly. i think a few guys from this forum post over there too.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Just looked up and there is a blurb in the post about it all. The main story coming out of Minnesota is that NJ is interested, but both denied it and said it was not happenning(KG being dealt anywhere) until the summer if it happens at all. The Knicks story just broke today. My guess is that wher ethere is smoke there is fire and Garnett may have found his ticket out of Minnesota this year, but to where is anyones guess.

I think were undervaluing an expring contract.

Look at phoenix, get first round picks and expiring contracts, and look what happened.

In basically a year or two they transitioned their team, some people considered them a huge force this year before injuries.

Knicks will not get KG without giving up Frye, book it.

I really really don't want to give up Frye but if it had to be done I'd do it. Just as long as they only took one or maybe two of the three rooks Lee (cough). I'd even throw in Ariza and Rose for free
    Last edited by NYJFan84; 11-21-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

It's all about expiring contracts and salary cap space for 2006, that's the only reason they would take Davis and Penny. Davis, Penny, Frye and Lee wouldn't work for the cap for Minny because it won't match salaries. Plus, Isiah has insisted that he won't give up the young guys. AND, Frye has been the Knicks best big man. I have to admit though, that I'm biased in favor of Frye because I've been a fan of his since 'Zona. My friends think I'm crazy, but I think Frye was the best big man in the draft (which means he was better than Bogut).

We'll see....

the garnett to the knicks rumors have been swirling since summer

I think it might have to do with the fact that Minnesota's been lagging in the revenue dept, taking on some expiring contracts would be a good move if that was the case.
    expiring contracts do not get you a top 5 player in the game, that's why it is a rumor, NO WAY IT IS HAPPENING unless you add ariza and frye or a mixture of others to the list...