Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Knick fans...OH MY GOD!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Nets fan I'm very skeptical of Garnett. Like Marbury maybe he should take up tennis. This way the only four other guys he has to worry about are the line judges, the umpire and his coach. Ok, these guys don't listen to the coach, so maybe Johnny Mac.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What people seem to fail to realize is the importance of expiring contracts in the NBA.

Those 2 players and a couple of draft picks can very well get this deal done for the Knicks. Sczcerbiak is a bad contract, Garnett is not happy, and Minny gets the cap space to bring in 2 big time players AND a couple of draft picks. Minny would be VERY happy with this, and the Knicks and the NBA get a bonafide superstar to market in the NY market.

This is a win-win scenario, and while the Knicks score HUGE with Garnett, they give Minny a ton of flexibility, relief from a bad contract AND a couple of draft picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    What people seem to fail to realize is the importance of expiring contracts in the NBA.

Those 2 players and a couple of draft picks can very well get this deal done for the Knicks. Sczcerbiak is a bad contract, Garnett is not happy, and Minny gets the cap space to bring in 2 big time players AND a couple of draft picks. Minny would be VERY happy with this, and the Knicks and the NBA get a bonafide superstar to market in the NY market.

This is a win-win scenario, and while the Knicks score HUGE with Garnett, they give Minny a ton of flexibility, relief from a bad contract AND a couple of draft picks.
    Minny can do better than that, trust me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneChrebet
    expiring contracts do not get you a top 5 player in the game, that's why it is a rumor, NO WAY IT IS HAPPENING unless you add ariza and frye or a mixture of others to the list...
    But you're logic is off because, of course, Ariza and Frye are not "top 5" players. Expiring contracts can get a team a "top 5" player if it means being $25 million under the cap next season and beyond by trading Garnett for 2 expiring contracts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Minny can do better than that, trust me.
    Depends on who they have on their radar over the next couple of years on the free agent market. I am sure they can do better, but this trade is not as bad as people are making it out to be, and this trade would have the NBA front office drooling at the chance of seeing a legit star in NY. You are not going to get equal talent for Garnett in a trade, it is not possible. Why accept a non-expiring bad contract return for KG? For once the Knicks boatload of hideous contracts may actually help us.

Hell, Atlanta traded a very good Glenn Robinson who was having a great year for a player who would never be able to play again in Terrel Brandon just to get their hands on that expiring contract. Robinson is no KG, but Minny would be getting 2 expiring contracts and a couple of picks...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    It's all about expiring contracts and salary cap space for 2006, that's the only reason they would take Davis and Penny. Davis, Penny, Frye and Lee wouldn't work for the cap for Minny because it won't match salaries. Plus, Isiah has insisted that he won't give up the young guys. AND, Frye has been the Knicks best big man. I have to admit though, that I'm biased in favor of Frye because I've been a fan of his since 'Zona. My friends think I'm crazy, but I think Frye was the best big man in the draft (which means he was better than Bogut).

We'll see....
    Isiah insists alot of things. Remember how Nazr Mohammed was the real centerpiece of the deal a few years back? Isiah just says stuff for the sake of saying stuff.

But as for the deal itself you probably do include guys like Frye and Ariza. In order for the deal to work out capwise you need to include Hardaway and Davis from the Knicks, who total 29.6 million versus the cap, and Garnett and Szczerbiak from the Wolves who add up to 28 million for this season. I believe based on the 15% rule the Wolves can take back up to 34.8 million in total salary. Frye makes 2.1, Nate 1.1, and Lee and Ariza both under 1 million. If you wanted to match salaries perfectly you could do Hardaway and Frye for Garnett. Knicks would probably toss a draft pick in as well.

For the Wolves to do the deal Im sure New York has to take Wally World back. If they do that if leaves the Wolves with the cap room to make a run at LeBron James in 2 years. If Im the Knicks I definitely make the deal no matter who they want for him. Frye has looked like he is going to be a really solid pro(and he is so much better than the way he looked in the Summer League), but he isnt going to be KG. Its a no brainer to pull the trigger here. Give them whoever they want. Frye, Curry, Ariza, anyone. Knicks become a real contender with KG, but without him are going to struggle to compete.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Minny can get expiring contracts, picks, and young talent in return for KG. I'm not saying the Knicks can't get him, but it will not be for this current deal. Bulls, Nets, Celtics can top that current offer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I don't get with all this trade talk is the draft picks. I understand the significant advantage of trading for expiring contracts to gain salary cap freedom.

But didn't the Knicks trade away every possible draft pick via the Phoenix (Q & NAte) and Chicago (Curry)trades this summer? I thought we were out of the draft for quite some time after mortgaging our future for these players.

I could be wrong, anyone know the exact status/# of picks we HAVE NOT traded away already?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99
    What I don't get with all this trade talk is the draft picks. I understand the significant advantage of trading for expiring contracts to gain salary cap freedom.

But didn't the Knicks trade away every possible draft pick via the Phoenix (Q & NAte) and Chicago (Curry)trades this summer? I thought we were out of the draft for quite some time after mortgaging our future for these players.

I could be wrong, anyone know the exact status/# of picks we HAVE NOT traded away already?
    I believe the Knicks actually gained a draft pick with all the moves they made... I may be wrong though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    I believe the Knicks actually gained a draft pick with all the moves they made... I may be wrong though.
    They have 1 first rounder for 2006 and a 2nd lottery protected first rounder in 2006 (it goes to Utah if it isn't a lottery pick). They have their 2007 1st rounder as well. I didn't check second rounders but I believe they have all of those as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Ya think? hahah

get real, that deal is NOT happening. The Nets, who I don't expect to get KG, can do much better than this current rumor.

you may be missing the point, the point is not to get talent for talent and long contracts, for taht tehy just hold on to KG and Wally (a long isle boy, btw)

the move with NYK would be to make room and use it at their discretion, in that case its a great move for both teams, but I agree there would have to be one of the young players involved to make it a bit more practical plus at least one #1 pick

so maybe we're looking at davis, hardaway, frye and #1 for KG and Wally

I'd take that

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneChrebet
    expiring contracts do not get you a top 5 player in the game, that's why it is a rumor, NO WAY IT IS HAPPENING unless you add ariza and frye or a mixture of others to the list...
    but you can trade a garbage Brian grant, Lamar Odom and Caron Butler for the best man in the entire league????

it could happen man, very easily

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    but you can trade a garbage Brian grant, Lamar Odom and Caron Butler for the best man in the entire league????

it could happen man, very easily
    Not only could it happen man, I would put money on it happening sometime in February.

People have no concept of the value of an expiring contract, or how much harm a single unhappy player can have on an NBA franchise...