Thread: Lastings Milledge - Why the LoveFEST

TMahoney

Lastings Milledge - Why the LoveFEST

As I was driving home from class, I was listening to ESPN radio and I keep hearing Mets fans call in and put Lastings Milledge on this pedestal as if he was a Hall of Fame lock. The radio hosts, who I usually don't agree with, were right in saying "Listen, this kid has a lot of potential, but nobody thinks hes going to be a Manny Ramirez."

Thats when it hit me, why would we not trade a prospect who hasn't seen a day in the majors for the best hitter in baseball. Listen I'm saying trade milledge for Delgado, I'm saying MANNY RAMIREZ. You know, the guy who has knocked in 140+ RBI and hit 35+ Homers for basically the past 10 years in a row.

This is simple, trade an unkown for a lock.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    because Lastings is a stud prospect who is worth more than an aging, no defense Manny with a monster contract. You're considering Manny's positives, but not his negatives.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because trading anything of value for Delgado is stupid since the Marlins just want to get rid of his contract.

Let me put it this way. Even if you don't think Milledge is going to be a superstar player, you should not trade him. The reason for that is because he is going to be a very good player. Will he be as good as Manny? No, probably not. But, and here's the thing, you have him for 6 years before he's a free agent. For the first 3 years he's playing, he'll make less than a million each year. For the next 3 years, he will still be underpaid. So, instead of spending $20 million a year on a guy like Manny Ramirez, or lets say $10 million a year on a player of equal value to what Milledge is, you are getting him for much less and thus can spend that money in other places.

This is the same concept as to why I don't want the Yankees to trade the prospects. There is a limit to the spending (and the Mets have less of a limit than the Yankees so this applies more to the Mets than the Yankees) so you have to have some young players that are making the minimum that are producing. If you don't, your team will have a downfall.

And lastly, Lastings Milledge is only something like 20 years old and has hit at every level he's been on. He's hit really well. Trading this kid and further decimating the farm system would just be dumb.

TMahoney
    Bottom line is that neither of you have seen him play in the majors. You don't know how good hes going to be and you shouldn't sit here and say "OOOo Lastings Milledge for Manny Ramirez is stupid".

YOu don't know but if I had the choice right now I'd take Manny, even with his terrible defense, HES THE BEST HITTER IN THE GAME vs A PROSPECT!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    Bottom line is that neither of you have seen him play in the majors. You don't know how good hes going to be and you shouldn't sit here and say "OOOo Lastings Milledge for Manny Ramirez is stupid".

YOu don't know but if I had the choice right now I'd take Manny, even with his terrible defense, HES THE BEST HITTER IN THE GAME vs A PROSPECT!
    again, you're not looking at trade value or manny's negatives

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler

You continue to trade your prospects for overpaid veterans, your team will suck within a few years or else you'll have to continue to increase your payroll to over $200 million.

Milledge is going to be a very good player - why trade a guy you have control of for 6 years for a guy making $20 million per?