Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Mets Trade for Delgado

  1. #1

    Mets Trade for Delgado

    I don't know why they continue to give up on young prospects, especially pitching. I would have liked to see Jacobs stay he showed some flashes last year. Delgado is 33 yrs old and is an overpaid jerkoff..........


    BY JON HEYMAN
    STAFF WRITER

    November 23, 2005, 8:13 AM EST

    The Mets have reached an agreement for a trade to bring Carlos Delgado from the Marlins, Newsday has learned. The trade won't be finalized until medical examinations of the players involved are complete and commissioner Bud Selig signs off on the deal.

    The Mets have agreed to send righthanded pitching prospect Yusmeiro Petit and young first baseman Mike Jacobs to the Marlins for Delgado, according to someone familiar with the deal. As part of the deal, the Marlins will send $7 million back to the Mets to cover part of the $48 million remaining on Delgado's contract.

    Delgado does not have veto powers over a trade.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    They do that because Minaya is a bad GM.

    Good blog from Buster.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...ster#200511233

    A Mets deal for Carlos Delgado could happen quickly, reports Kevin Kernan; the Daily News concurs.
    If, in fact, the Mets part with their top pitching prospect to get Delgado, while absorbing all of Delgado's financial obligations, they are insane. They could offer a bag of balls at this point and Florida will take a deal, so long as the Mets are taking the contract. Again, there is no question that the Mets are going to have the best offseason, on paper, of any team in the majors: They're probably going to sign Billy Wagner, they could get Delgado very soon, and they're going to get a good catcher.

    But the trademark of Omar Minaya's dealings so far is that he overpays for everything. He can get Delgado, and that's great. But why overpay for him? Why not tell the Marlins, Look, you don't have teams beating down your door to take his contract. We'll do you a favor and take his contract, and you'll take one Grade B-minus prospect from this list of three, along with this backup Class A catcher, and you'll be thrilled with that.

    Landing Pedro, Beltran, Wagner, Delgado, all good. But at some point, the bill is going to come due, and the Mets at least have to try to pay market value, rather than spending above and beyond that in each and every deal.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    They do that because Minaya is a bad GM.

    Good blog from Buster.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...ster#200511233

    Good trade for the Mets, did not give up top prospects and got money from the Marlins to offset Delgado's contract.

  5. #5
    Buster Olney is a joke...

    Petit is not that good of a prospect and the Mets had to compete with the O's and the Angels for Delgado. Fair trade.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny B
    Good trade for the Mets, did not give up top prospects and got money from the Marlins to offset Delgado's contract.
    Petit is a top prospect and your still paying Delgado $41 million over the next 3 seasons. He's a great offensive player but you could have done this without giving up Petit.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Petit is a top prospect and your still paying Delgado $41 million over the next 3 seasons. He's a great offensive player but you could have done this without giving up Petit.
    Come on man... you were at the negotiation table? You don't think the Mets have to pay a premium for acquiring Delgado WITHIN the division? Do you see the Sox trading Manny to the Yankees? It's just not reasonable.

    Jacobs was a good, not great, prospect who elevated his status in a limited stint. And, he's expendable with Delgado coming... Sell high

    Petit was a top current pitching prospect but NOT a top pitching prospect overall. The guy's ceiling is a back of the rotation starter and other teams know that. Humber and Pelfrey have much more upside.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Come on man... you were at the negotiation table? You don't think the Mets have to pay a premium for acquiring Delgado WITHIN the division? Do you see the Sox trading Manny to the Yankees? It's just not reasonable.

    Jacobs was a good, not great, prospect who elevated his status in a limited stint. And, he's expendable with Delgado coming... Sell high

    Petit was a top current pitching prospect but NOT a top pitching prospect overall. The guy's ceiling is a back of the rotation starter and other teams know that. Humber and Pelfrey have much more upside.
    I think Petit's ceiling is much better than a back of the rotation starter. Much better.

  9. #9
    TMahoney
    Guest
    1. Reyes SS
    2. Beltran CF
    3. Wright 3B
    4. Delgado 1B
    5. Floyd LF


    Thats what we know so far, they still have 2nd, RF and Catcher to take care of.


    As for the bullpen, we need a setup man and a closer, especially after trading Petit.

    Wagner is a must sign, and maybe Tom Gordon as your 8th inning guy?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I think Petit's ceiling is much better than a back of the rotation starter. Much better.

    this is why stats can be misleading...

  11. #11
    Our Lineup- just with the addition of Delgado- even if his numbers suffer a little- is awesome now. Beltran will be back in the 2 hole. Wright in the 3 floyd in the 5 that is awesome. now if we get Soriano, or Manny, then you have a lineup where Floyd hits 6th. i ll take that line up. If we don't, we have a line up where either Molina, Hernandez, or Nady hits 6th or 7th- I ll take that line up. What is the big deal? Jacobs was awesome I will give you that, but I have a feeling that he will turn out to be a little better than Ty Wigginton. Look, it is a win now league. I wish the Jets were more like this, however, the salary cap makes it impossible.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    this is why stats can be misleading...
    Buck Martinez is on Mike and the Mad Dog right now and he thinks Petit is going to be a big time pitcher.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn/Austin
    Posts
    2,712
    Don't be surprised if Delgado declines. This is a perfect example of what the Mets do all the time. They pick up guys who are out of their prime in the hopes that they will be the one guy who can define all of logic by playing well into their 30's. And they don't do this by giving up nothing, oh no. They give up Petit (who will be at worst a top #2 pitcher in a rotation) and are taking in most of Delgado's contract.

    They were better off keeping Jacobs, signing Eduardo Perez and platooning them two. They would've put up very good numbers, been way cheaper than Delgado, and not had to give up Petit.

    These guys just dont get it.

  14. #14
    Eduardo Perez is a good platoon player.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,165
    Petit looks like a #3 to me, I heard his stuff cant top 90 MPH. Dont think he's that high of a pitching prospect.

    Although they probably could have got him for less. I wanted Castillo from the Marlins moreso than Delgado though.

  16. #16
    Delgado coming is like getting a 33 year old Piazza. Same numbers and Piazza was not much of leader. This is great having another player who will drive in 100 runs. Wright will have a monster year and now we do not trade Milledge.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT
    Delgado coming is like getting a 33 year old Piazza. Same numbers and Piazza was not much of leader. This is great having another player who will drive in 100 runs. Wright will have a monster year and now we do not trade Milledge.
    Compared to Delgado, Piazza is the best leader in sports.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399
    Great deal that had to be made. I'm just sorry to see Mike Jacobs leave...I really started to like the guy during the second half of last year.

    Also I think there is a smaller chance of Delgado causing a disruption in the locker room than "Manny being Manny".

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Compared to Delgado, Piazza is the best leader in sports.
    Where are the reports that he's been disruptive? I've read that he's a lead by example, reserved guy in the locker room. You're really just hating.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Buck Martinez is on Mike and the Mad Dog right now and he thinks Petit is going to be a big time pitcher.

    That's great, but I don't think it's going to matter when Petit can't blow his sub 90 mph fastball against ML hitters. Minor league guy and youngsters? Sure. The Mets sold high.

    He also said Petit was a power arm, so he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Last edited by BrooklynBound; 11-23-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us