Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets trading Kris Benson for Jorge Julio?

Mets trading Kris Benson for Jorge Julio?

Reported on the 20/20 flash on WFAN. Mets attempting to upgrade their bullpen. The problem is that the words upgrade and Jorge Julio do not go together. The reality is it is just another move by Omar to make the team more Hispanic.

they might have to consider renaming the team the new york mexis soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Reported on the 20/20 flash on WFAN. Mets attempting to upgrade their bullpen. The problem is that the words upgrade and Jorge Julio do not go together. The reality is it is just another move by Omar to make the team more Hispanic.
    It is important both the Mets & Yankees are 100% hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    Do not raise Superman to be prejudice. Bad Mommy!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaT
    Do not raise Superman to be prejudice. Bad Mommy!

lol, it was just a joke. my best friend is a portable rican.

lol, it was just a joke. my best friend is a portable rican.
    I forgive you.

Veteran
    i would actually like this trade.

benson has not live up to potential yet, and is 31. he was the first overall pick in 1996 n has never proven it. hes been mediocre at best. but julio is 26 years old and as alot of time to work. anytime you can throw a fastball 98 mph, you can be successful. plus, this would give the mets even more money to try to get someone like manny, zito, or even a.j. burnett.

i also hate all these allegations of omar turning the mets into hispanics. he signed wagner. wrigth n floyd are two of their better players. it is all just a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by norm428

i also hate all these allegations of omar turning the mets into hispanics. he signed wagner. wrigth n floyd are two of their better players. it is all just a coincidence.
    he didn't acquire wright or floyd.

anyways, I don't like the trade, but Omar didn't do it because he only wants hispanics. come on.

i would actually like this trade.

benson has not live up to potential yet, and is 31. he was the first overall pick in 1996 n has never proven it. hes been mediocre at best. but julio is 26 years old and as alot of time to work. anytime you can throw a fastball 98 mph, you can be successful. plus, this would give the mets even more money to try to get someone like manny, zito, or even a.j. burnett.

yeah if he does this trade it's for two reasons. to get out from bensons contract and to acquire a young flamethrower for the pen. i would think peterson would be putting his stamp of approval on all pitching acquisations. and i trust him for the most part, even though he hasn't been able to tame zambrano. and like you mentioned, the money will mos tlikely be used elsewhere, and i'd love for it to be used on burnett.

MSG has pulled this story...

either it's not happening or the Mets are getting more back

All League
    It would be a huge rip off if they did that deal. Benson pitched well last year, Julio sucks

What is thaT SUPPOSE TO MEAN??

Are you Chpshot in disguise??

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    What is thaT SUPPOSE TO MEAN??

Are you Chpshot in disguise??

dude, it was a joke. don't take yourself so seriously.

He signed Wagner, yes. There were no good hispanic closers available. Wright is from the farm and was already playing and Floyd was already on the team (who he was thinking about trading for Sosa).

And, the fact is that he told Delgado something along those lines too - which Delgado did not appreciate.

dude, it was a joke. don't take yourself so seriously.
    On this site one never knows. Just look at the political board.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    On this site one never knows. Just look at the political board.

i don't spend too much time on the politics board. it's basically pointless. unless you just love to get pissed off and argue. in that case i'll just call my kids mom.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    He signed Wagner, yes. There were no good hispanic closers available. Wright is from the farm and was already playing and Floyd was already on the team (who he was thinking about trading for Sosa).

And, the fact is that he told Delgado something along those lines too - which Delgado did not appreciate.
    Told Delgado what exactly...

your Hispanic "theory" is tired and unfounded. GMs care about winning, not assembling a racially homogenous roster

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Told Delgado what exactly...

your Hispanic "theory" is tired and unfounded. GMs care about winning, not assembling a racially homogenous roster
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1109890212170

Another team that grossly underestimated the total package that is the man was the Mets. New GM Omar Minaya and his assistant, Tony Bernazard, a former official with the players' association misplayed the race card. They approached Delgado as a fellow Latino, instead of, first, as a man. Mistake.

"At the beginning, that was their approach," Delgado said. "It doesn't matter if you're Latin, American or Italian, if we're going to talk business, talk business. I'm not doing you any favours, you're not doing me any favours because we're speaking in Spanish. I'm a man first. I am nobody to tell anybody how to approach me. You do what you have to do, then, I decide what I want to do."
    http://www.nypost.com/missing/missing.htm

Last week, Carlos Delgado claimed that he was turned off by the Mets when Dominican-born GM Omar Minaya and Minaya's assistant, Puerto Rico native Tony Bernazard, attempted to play the race card. He said that they emphasized their shared Hispanic heritage as a selling point to sign with the Mets. Delgado, a Puerto Rican, said he resented such salesmanship.
    (First two links don't work, this one does).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-245704c.html

BY ADAM RUBIN
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

JUPITER, Fla. - Carlos Delgado's agent last night denied launching a cyber attack against the Mets, after E-mailing a column to reporters yesterday morning in which Delgado suggested the organization arrogantly used the Hispanic heritage of team brass to court the Puerto Rican slugger.

"The words in the story are Carlos' words. . . . All I did was forward them to a group of people who had indicated interest in the how, when and why of events both during and after the negotiation of Carlos' contract," agent David Sloane wrote in an E-mail last night, an apparent national response to a Daily News inquiry in the afternoon.

"Should anyone be paranoid enough to ascribe some malicious intent to that, it's their problem. I'm sure, however, that this will now result in the same shills who attacked me before to smear me once again in order to divert attention from the facts of the matter. Oh well."

A column in yesterday's Toronto Star, which Sloane distributed to media members in New York, Florida, Baltimore and Texas, claimed "GM Omar Minaya and his assistant, Tony Bernazard . . . misplayed the race card. They approached Delgado as a fellow Latino, instead of, first, as a man. Mistake."

Delgado was quoted as saying: "At the beginning, that was their approach. It doesn't matter if you're Latin, American or Italian, if we're going to talk business, talk business. I'm not doing you any favors, you're not doing me any favors because we're speaking in Spanish. I'm a man first."

Delgado, who was at the shared Cardinals-Marlins complex yesterday, didn't want to address the issue. He signed a four-year, $52 million contract with the Marlins in January, though even Sloane conceded the value of the Mets' latest offer exceeded it.

"It doesn't make any sense to cry over spilled milk," Delgado said. "I'm here and that's it. Whatever happened, it happened, and I'm not going to go back and talk about it."

JWF, there is no doubt in my mind that Omar and Bernazard tried to use their Latin connection to woo Delgado. Clearly, that did not work.

That is not the same as your contention that Omar is only going after Latin players. Omar is trying to put the best team on the field. Period. If that player happens to be Latin, so be it. Since Delgado is Latin, he thought the homeboy approach would work. It was a poor decision, but it doesn't mean he only wants Latin players.

All League
    Hows that theory sound now? After trading for Lo Duca when Molina/Hernandez were available and are clearly of hispanic origin.