Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Barry Zito a Met shortly

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Barry Zito a Met?

I am hearing Oakland gave the Mets permission to neg. a long term deal.
    Last edited by TampaT; 12-07-2005 at 01:56 PM.

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT
    I am hearing Oakland gave the Mets permission to neg. a long term deal.
    AWESOME

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i really want zito. in a twisted sort of way, i would actually like to have zito over manny. before everyone rips me, let me explain. a proposed trade that is traveling around the internet is milledge and nady for zito, and i wouldnt be all that upset with that. i think that the mets lineup is good as is. it would be as of right now:

reyes
    beltran
    wright
    delgado
    floyd
    nady/diaz
    benjie molina/ramon hernendez
    anderson hernandez/jeff keppinger

and their rotation would be:

pedro
    glavine
    benson
    trachsel
    seo

now in my mind, the sction of the mets that would need more help would be their rotation primarily due to the fact that i think that wright should not have to bat lower than 4th. he deserves to bat 3rd, beltran bats better when he is 2nd anyway, and delgado is a more than adequate cleanup hitter especially with the protection that floyd provides. now if we could add zito to our rotation, that would be huge. we would have 2 aces at the top, glavine who pitched well at the end of the season pitching 3rd and benson who is usually consistent pitching 4th. then trade seo who has some value as a young pitcher for a good setup man and put trachsel in the 5th spot. if we could possibly add seo to the zito deal if the Aa's throw in octavio dotel. then our bullpen would be great also:

heilman
    zambrano
    padilla
    ring
    hernandez
    dotel
    wagner

that definately seems like a team that can win a world series to me. does it for you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will take Zito as well for Milledge plus whom ever. Zito is only 27-years old, and a lefty!!!

TMahoney
    Only thing that makes me nervous is Billy Beane, this guy is just the complete opposite of Minaya: Patient with a low budget.

Its going to cost the Mets more than just Lastings Milledge.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    where did you hear this from? here is a quote directly from the mlb website:

" A number of teams have inquired about Oakland left-hander Barry Zito, but have been told GM Billy Beane isn't interested in dealing Zito. Beane left Tuesday night as the A's aren't expected to do anything before the end of the arbitration deadline passes."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'll believe it when i see it in the AP