Thread: Who's Next???? Orosco???

Who's Next???? Orosco???

Just Heard The Mets Are Close To A 2 Year Deal With Julio Franco! My Question Is...why??? To Start He Is 54 Years Old. He Admits To 47, Which Means At Least 52 Or 53! 2nd, They Just Signed Valentin. He Can Play Anywhere On The Infield, And 2 Years Ago Hit 30 Hr's For The White Sox. 3rd, You Got Xavier Nady To Fill That Role As Backup 1b. 4th, Delgado Is Expected To Play About 150 Games At 1b, You Need Franco That Bad To Play 12 Games And Pinch Hit??? And 5th, He Is 54 Years Old!!!!!!! I Know Omar Loves The Hispanic Players, But Come On! This Is A Waste Of Money And A Roster Spot.

Oh Yeah, Also....hey Anna, Shut The F@#k Up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44
    I think Julio actually is actually 47 (will be 48 on the Mets)....He tried to lie about his age before (saying he was born in 1961), but after 9-11 visa crackdowns came out, he was pegged at being born in 1958.

Either way, bringing him to NY would be a bad move. His only real value is as a pinch-hitter/ backup 1B/semi-coach on an Atlanta team with a bunch real young players....

Bringing him to a veteran team makes as much sense as the Mets bringing in Andres Galarraga last spring

Can't outright disagree with you about Omar liking the Latin players, he basically admitted it on Mike and the Maddog Show, by saying he felt more comfortable being able to talk to players in 2 languages.

Not 100% sure Nady is of latin stock, although the name Xavier does seem that way.....I think the surname Nady is middle-eastern (Iranian, Iraqi, Palestinian, Lebanese, or whatever).

If you're going to compare Franco to Galaragga, you haven't been paying attention.

I can't believe Franco got a 2 year deal at his age...

on the surface it seems surprising, but it's better than giving him a one year deal at 2.2 mil... not going to have a huge impact either way

A 47 year old backup? I'm surprised Cashman didn't sign him to a long term contract for the Yankees. Know what, though? You Mets fans are gonna love the guy. In the age of Conseco, Bonds, Giambi and Palmiero, Franco is a breath of fresh air for MLB the same way George Blanda was for the NFL. He's a good influence in the clubhouse and he can still handle a bat. Yeah, 2 years sounds crazy but you're talking about a unique athlete who defies father time and renders all conventional logic useless. One of a kind. When he does finally, hang 'em up find a place for him in your organization as an instructor/ coach. You won't regret it.

Hall Of Fame
    This is a good move. One of the keys for the Mets last year was the strength of their bench. If it weren't for them, the Mets would not have won 83 games because of the injuries they suffered throughout the year.

I really don't care about the money they pay these guys because a) it's really not much in the grand scheme of things, and b) it's not my money. If Wilpon wants to use his money for these guys, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrodyMan

I really don't care about the money they pay these guys because a) it's really not much in the grand scheme of things, and b) it's not my money. If Wilpon wants to use his money for these guys, go ahead.

yeah, it's alot different than the nfl with it's salary cap. in the nfl you get weary of a deal because you know your team only has so much to work with.