Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT-Yankees sign Damon

OT-Yankees sign Damon

4 yr deal worth 53 million. Is this move gonna make a big difference? NOPE b/c the blue jays are going to with the A.L. East in '06!!!

Banned

doesn't really fill a need...

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    doesn't really fill a need...
    Centerfield.......

Quote Originally Posted by Joshsports10
    Centerfield.......

well yeah, but not the defensive CFer they needed... didnt really need another bat, and he's on the decline

don't get me wrong, yanks got better in 06 and the sox got worse

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    don't get me wrong, yanks got better in 06 and the sox got worse
    no way, yanks havent improved one bit, at least the sox got beckett and lowell

Quote Originally Posted by AGiantJetFan
    no way, yanks havent improved one bit, at least the sox got beckett and lowell
    i mean in this particular deal

For the short term this helps the Yankees. Damon can still cover ground in center field. He's an upgrade over Williams in that respect. His arm is not much better, but he'll be an upgrade defensively. He gives them a solid leadoff guy now. He's not going to steal a bunch of bases, but hes a smart baserunner and will score a ton of runs, especially with that Yankee lineup. The problems start as soon as Damon loses his legs.

How the Red Sox go will depend alot on what they do with Ramirez. If he goes that lineup takes a huge hit. Mike Lowell is a player on the decline and that pitching staff is only going to be very good if Schilling comes back strong and Beckett lives up to that rep he gained tearing up the playoffs a few years ago.

Blue Jays wont be winning anything. They cant hit. Pitching is decent, but injury prone.

Sadly this move probably makes the Yanks the favorites again to win it all.

TMahoney
    Yankees won't win it ill.

The New York Mets are better than them.

They got the power hitter and the closer they need, its the Mets time now.

David Wright, Jose Reyes, Aaron Heilman and Jae Seo will only get better.

Beltran won't have nearly as much pressure on him with the addition of Delgado, and its no longer his first year in NY.

The Yankees are too old.

4 for 53 isnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. If they gave him a 5 year deal that would have been pretty bad.

Damon still has 2 real good years left in him and 2 decent ones.

eLOT

Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    Yankees won't win it ill.
    Right, they'll win it all.

The New York Mets are better than them.
    HAHAHAHhahHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA -- man, you should do stand-up.

They got the power hitter and the closer they need, its the Mets time now.
    They got a closer who couldn't even get as many saves as WICKMAN. He's good, better than looper, but their 'pen still sucks, and the rotation is questionable.

David Wright, Jose Reyes, Aaron Heilman and Jae Seo will only get better.
    Right, Wrong, Maybe, no.

Beltran won't have nearly as much pressure on him with the addition of Delgado, and its no longer his first year in NY.
    He still isn't the ultra-awesome player that the Mets expect him to be.

The Yankees are too old.
    So is Delgado, Glavine, Zambrano, JULIO FRANCO, Trachsel, Pedro and Billy Wagner are both in their mid-30s and not getting younger.

The fact is that the Mets probably made too many moves, they'll upset the clubhouse balance. Not to mention that Delgado didn't sign with the Mets because HE DIDN'T WANT to play for them.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Damon signing with a passion, but the Yankees aren't that old. Eric Duncan will be ready to come up to the Majors soon, and Cano and Wang are still around. The Yankees have a more balanced lineup with PLENTY of power -- they're not relying on one or two guys for that. Look at the Yankee batting order:

Damon (a solid #1), Jeter, A-Rod*, Sheffield*, Matsui*, Giambi*, Posada, Cano, Bernie/whoever

I see at least 4 consistent power hitters in there. I see a good leadoff man, Jeter (Mr. Clutch)...

All League
    Good signing for the next year or two, but he'll be part of the problem in a few years. Just like Bernie I'd bet. Still, really helps them out next year and hurts the Red Sox enormously.

clearly rivalries aren't sacred in baseball. would ted williams ever play for the yankees? hell no, he'd probably quit the sport before doing that. now, it's all about the green and less about the game. who even knows what I;m talking about

Interesting stat by ESPN, with this signing the Yanks have 5 of the top 12 run scorers in MLB between Arod, Jeter, Sheff, Matsui, and now Damon.

To tell you the truth, this is the first time that I've ever truely questioned my loyalty to any team I've ever rooted for. Ever since 2000 when they started their annual all star spending spree it's become less fun to root for this team by the season. I dunno, maybe I'm just ranting, but it was starting to get ridiculous with Arod and now it's borderline absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    Interesting stat by ESPN, with this signing the Yanks have 5 of the top 12 run scorers in MLB between Arod, Jeter, Sheff, Matsui, and now Damon.

To tell you the truth, this is the first time that I've ever truely questioned my loyalty to any team I've ever rooted for. Ever since 2000 when they started their annual all star spending spree it's become less fun to root for this team by the season. I dunno, maybe I'm just ranting, but it was starting to get ridiculous with Arod and now it's borderline absurd.
    I agree... that's the point I was trying to make

He got alottttt less money then I thought he would.

Damon said

If you cant beat em, Join em.

whoever thinks this is a bad signing ur retarted

first of jeter goes back to his usual spot in the order number 2.........damon is the best leadoff hitter in the game..........he stays in great shape and has a work out regime that is known around baseball......im extremely happy with the signing and cant wait to root him on in role call in the rf bleachers where i have season tickets