Thread: Yankees Sign Damon

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Yankees Sign Damon

4 years $44 million for the 32 year old Damon. Despite a lower OBP than Jeter, he'll probably leadoff with Jeter batting second. I fear this will slow Bubba Crosby's ascension to the Hall of Fame but if this is what it takes to get poor Johnny a decent haircut, so be it. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Casualfan; 12-21-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damon can play center with the best of them, hits for average, has some decent pop, rarely makes a mistake on the base pads. As a player he is the PERFECT fit for this Yankee team. It just makes the lineup absolutely frightening. Especially consider Bernie will be back for outfield depth and to DH a bit.

Unfortunately he is Johnny Damon, the epitome of what I loathe about the Red Sox...

But, he seems to be an ok club house guy, and he has never been one to stir the pot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    But, he seems to be an ok club house guy, and he has never been one to stir the pot.
    At this point, it's hard to tell what other options were available. I think his attitude would be a great addition to any ballclub. If he's still got the wheels he showed previous to last season his range in center should take some pressure off our pitchers and he'll pose a legitimate threat on the basepaths too. I'm going to cringe everytime sombody takes advantage of his arm but hopefully his other strengths, and they are considerable, will outweigh his arm's weakness.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casualfan
    4 years $44 million for the 32 year old Damon. Despite a lower OBP than Jeter, he'll probably leadoff with Jeter batting second. I fear this will slow Bubba Crosby's ascension to the Hall of Fame but if this is what it takes to get poor Johnny a decent haircut, so be it. Any thoughts?
    couple thoughts here:

first get teh contract numbers right its 4 years 52 mill

second there's a long thread on this already

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    couple thoughts here:

first get teh contract numbers right its 4 years 52 mill

second there's a long thread on this already
    First, 44 Million was the figure initially reported when the story first appeared in either the Times or Daily News. I don't recall which.

Second, At the time I posted, there was no other thread about it in the MLB forum. The thread you're referring to was moved here from the football forum after I'd already posted here. Had I known there was a thread about it in the football forum, I wouldn't have bothered to post.

Thanks for your concern
    Last edited by Casualfan; 12-27-2005 at 02:05 PM.