Thread: Here's my idea of nirvana

Here's my idea of nirvana

so i guess yo uthink that damon is the savior in center field? guess what though, he's still not the good defensive fielder the yankees needed.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    so i guess yo uthink that damon is the savior in center field? guess what though, he's still not the good defensive fielder the yankees needed.
    What is the good defensive fielder the Yankees needed? Bubba Crosby is most likely an all around better defensive CFer than Damon. Does that mean that he is the guy we needed? A better example would be the guy the Phillies non-tendered Endy Chavez. The guy is an unbelievable defensive CFer but he's not a good hitter. Is that what we needed?

The obvious answer to both is no. What a team should do when looking at a position player is see how many more runs he creates compared to the average player at that position offensively and also how many runs he saves (or loses) compared to the average player at that position defensively. You then add those two numbers together and you want the guy with the highest number. So, if Damon is an average CFer or lets say 4 runs below avergage for the sake of argument, but he also creates an extra 44 runs compared to the average CFer, then he is 40 runs better, total, than the average CFer. On the flip side, lets say Endy Chavez saves 15 runs compared to the average CFer but also creates -5 runs compared to the average guy. So, he is 10 runs better than the average guy.

A more extreme comparison is lets say the Yankees signed Barry Bonds to play LF and moved Matsui over to CF. The defense would be worse but the offense would outweigh that.

And, lastly, Bernie lost about 30 runs last year defensively and created about 7 more than the average guy. So, he was 23 runs worse and Damon is 40 runs more for a difference of 63 total runs. That's huge.

ok, i understand your logic. but, imo, run production isn't exactly a problem for the yankees. pitching and defense seemed to be the main problem. then again, i haven't watched enough yankees games to know enough about it i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    ok, i understand your logic. but, imo, run production isn't exactly a problem for the yankees. pitching and defense seemed to be the main problem. then again, i haven't watched enough yankees games to know enough about it i guess.
    Your right, a lot of people have been saying that the thing the Yankees need is just a defensive CFer that can catch the ball. But, if you just think about it logically, that makes no sense. You want the best available guy with both defense and offense. Defense was a HUGE problem for the Yankees for the last 2 seasons because Bernie was in CF. Damon, although not a great CFer, is a huge upgrade over Bernie. And that is going to help the pitching staff big time. It won't help the staff as much as a guy like Jeremy Reed (who I wanted more because I think his offense will continue to improve) would help the staff, but for at least the next season, Damon will offset that with his offense.

I know there's the theory that the Yankees already score enough runs so that's not the problem. But, the more runs they score the more wins they'll get. Instead of losing a game 7-6, they might win the game 8-7 now.

And by the way, your right, run production isn't the huge problem for the Yankees. The runs given up was a bigger problem. But, if you score more runs than you make up for the runs given up. And, the team will give up less runs because the defense has improved.