Thread: Giambi is the key to a murderers row

Giambi is the key to a murderers row

If the second half of last season {post season included} was not an abberation, but an indication that Jason Giambi has indeed regained his Groove, that would allow Joe Torre to draw-up a lineup that would be an opposing managers worst nightmare

It would make it IMPOSSIBLE for opposing managers to use their bullpen effectively verses the Yankees in terms of righty/lefty matchups

Again, at first glance it would appear nuts to bat Gary Sheffield 6th, but Giambi was actually our BEST HITTER for most of the second half and into the post season, so if that is NOT an abberation this lineup is not nearly as crazy as it seems .. and the upside of breaking up the lefties and righties from 1 thru 9 would be enormous .. that makes it worth it

lastly, I have Cano hitting ahead of Posada and Williams for one simple reason ... he may be young, but he's a better hitter in my view ... and he only figures to keep getting better

CF Johnny Damon {L}
    SS Derek Jeter {R}
    LF Hideki Matsui {L}
    3B Alex Rodriguez {R}
    1B Jason Giambi {L}
    RF Gary Sheffield {R}
    2B Robby Cano {L}
    C Jorge Posada {S}
    DH Bernie Williams {S}

If we deploy this lineup, the opposing manager can only call on a lefty or a righty to have the matchup advantage for ONE HITTER ... no matter where or when he calls on the pen ... ONE HITTER, then he's at the disadvantage ... either that, or the opposing manager can deplete his pen at warpped speed ... pick your poison

Firstly, I agree about Giambi. He's a key element and I don't think he'll dissapoint. He should be a very productive player.

Anyways, I do disagree with your lineup. I understand your doing the lefty, righty, lefty thing, but Matsui should not be batting 3rd. He's simply not a good enough hitter, especially with the other hitters on this team, to be batting 3rd.

And, I see absolutely no reason why Damon should leadoff.

Jeter vs. Damon regarding the leadoff spot:

1. Jeter gets on base more than Damon. 2. (Little known fact) Jeter saw more pitches than Damon did last year. 3. Jeter strikes out more than Damon - You want your #2 hitter to put the ball in play, not strikeout. 4. Jeter grounds into more DP's than Damon - pretty obvious that we'd prefer the #2 hitter to not GIDP's. 5. Damon's a lefty so he can take advantage of that hole in between 1st and 2nd when Jeter is on base. I know that Jeter goes the other way as well as anyone, but it's still easier for Damon. 6. They both steal bases at the same percentage and are both equally good baserunners.

I really see no reason why Damon should be the leadoff hitter except for the fact that he's lead off for his entire career and Jeter hit #2 for a lot of his earlier career. But that's no reason for anything.

And let me just get back to Matsui really quickly as to why he should not bat 3rd. Last year he hit .305/.367/.496/.863. Which is fine, but it's certainly not good enough for a #3 hitter. If you wanted to do the lefty/righty thing and leadoff with Damon, then Giambi should bat 3rd.

And right before I get to my lineup, Bernie should not be DHing. He's simply not good enough a hitter to DH. By DHing Bernie you take away some of the advantages with the offensive players we have in other positions. Bernie last year hit .241/.321/.367/.688. You can't DH a player that has those numbers.

OK, here's my lineup assuming we don't sign a DH.

Jeter
    Damon
    A-Rod
    Giambi
    Sheff
    Matsui
    Posada
    Andy Phillips (1B/RF/LF)
    Cano

I bat Posada in front of Cano because of the difference between their OBP's. I bat Phillips ahead of Cano because I think Phillips will be a good hitter in the majors, but you can switch those two and that's fine. The other thing I like about this is that Phillips takes the role I wanted Nomar for. He would switch off between the corner outfield positions and 1B giving Giambi, Matsui, and especially Sheff plenty of time to DH.

I would bat giambi third b/c of his OBP. I think it would give 4-5-6 more RBI opportunites.

I know with the Mangini hire, you're probably not jonesing for Yankee talk. But if you are, we had Newsday's Yankees beat writer Jim Baumbach in-studio with us for all 2 commercial-free hours last night. Here's the link: http://hosted.filefront.com/patchyfogg

Quote Originally Posted by patchyfogg
    I know with the Mangini hire, you're probably not jonesing for Yankee talk. But if you are, we had Newsday's Yankees beat writer Jim Baumbach in-studio with us for all 2 commercial-free hours last night. Here's the link: http://hosted.filefront.com/patchyfogg
    I ALWAYS am in the mood for Yankee talk. And I know Jim Baumbach - he's a good guy.

Well then, I hope you enjoyed. And, I echo the sentiment that Jim is a good guy.

i have to say that if giambi puts up the same kind of production he did for the yanks then you guys will have a brutal line-up. i will admit that i am one who thought giambi would never rebound, but i have to give the cheater credit where credit is due.

All League
    I think there is no way that Phillips will be a better hitter than Bernie, even considering that he spent most of last year in a slump. What did Andy do last year to prove otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89
    I think there is no way that Phillips will be a better hitter than Bernie, even considering that he spent most of last year in a slump. What did Andy do last year to prove otherwise?
    In AAA last year he hit .300/.377/.573/.952. The year before he hit .318/.388/.569/.957. Phillips can hit. Bernie hit .249/.321/.367 last year and will be a year older this year. That's terrible.

Phillips will obviously not put up the same numbers in the majors that he put up in AAA, but they won't decline so much that they will be at Bernie level.