Thread: please vote donnie baseball to the HALL!

All Pro

please vote donnie baseball to the HALL!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

everyone submit your votes, hes a class act, he deserves it 100%

Rookie

Sorry Hall of Fame, Not Hall of really good

Hey, this should and could be moved being a baseball thread, but come on, take off your Yankee jersey and look at the facts. Don Mattingly is NOT a Hall of Famer. He is a class guy and was a VERY good player, but NOT a Hall of Famer. Guys like Gil Hodges deserve to get in WAY before Mattingly.

On this year's list, the only guy I'd vote for is Bert Blyleven. After him, maybe I'd consider Sutter or Gossage but I'm not sure about them either. Mattingly was a great hitter for 4 or 5 years but after that he was merely very, very good. Defensively he was great for most of his career but not many corner infielders get elected to the hall for their defensive skills. Especially not 1rst basemen.
    Last edited by Casualfan; 12-29-2005 at 04:53 AM.

I don't know if Donnie deserves the HOF or not, but this quote from Bill James regarding Kirby Puckett reminded me of Mattingly:

"Do I think Kirby is a Hall of Famer? Sure. Kirby had 2300 hits at the time of his illness, actually 2304. I estimate that he had a 62% chance to get 3,000 career hits. Missing the decline phase of his career doesn't change where he ranks on this list very much, since the decline phase of a player's career has more to do with padding numbers than with establishing greatness, and I don't see why it should keep him out of the Hall of Fame, either."

Now, both Mattingly retired because of injury or illness after their 34 year old season. Mattingly had 2153 hits and also 222 HR's (compared to 204 for Puckett). Their career totals for practically all their offensive stats are very similar.

The point is, if you agree with that argument regarding Puckett, shouldn't Mattingly be in the Hall too? Well, the big difference is that Mattingly played a very offensive-minded position in 1B and Puckett played a much less offensive-minded in CF. Mattingly was tremendous defensively and I think Puckett was also (although I don't know). But that is a huge difference.

He is the Yankee Jinx they haven't won since he has become a coach and couldn't win while he was a player.

I'm still waiting for Gil Hodges to get in...

Just curious, why does Gil Hodges deserve to be in the HOF? He never won any kind of offensive award, he didn't even hit 400 HRS which is one of the bench marks for even being considered. On top of that, he was a .273 lifetime hitter. The woods are full of guys with stats like that...what makes Hodges so special?

Tino Martinez has similar stats...plus 4 WS rings and I don't think he's HOF material either. None of these guys you would classify as the best players of their time period.

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanFL
    Just curious, why does Gil Hodges deserve to be in the HOF? He never won any kind of offensive award, he didn't even hit 400 HRS which is one of the bench marks for even being considered. On top of that, he was a .273 lifetime hitter. The woods are full of guys with stats like that...what makes Hodges so special?

Tino Martinez has similar stats...plus 4 WS rings and I don't think he's HOF material either. None of these guys you would classify as the best players of their time period.
    http://www.gilhodges.com/awards.htm
    http://www.gilhodges.com/achievements.htm

7 Pennants, a few other near misses
    2 World Championships
    and thats just as a player

He hit his last home run in 1962, bringing his career total to 370 which, at the time, was the National League record for home runs by a right handed hitter.

In an era with fewer teams and players and a less lively ball

More qualified than Mattingly for sure
    Last edited by flushingjet; 11-01-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flushingjet
    http://www.gilhodges.com/awards.htm
    http://www.gilhodges.com/achievements.htm

7 Pennants, a few other near misses
    2 World Championships
    and thats just as a player

He hit his last home run in 1962, bringing his career total to 370 which, at the time, was the National League record for home runs by a right handed hitter.

In an era with fewer teams and players and a less lively ball

More qualified than Mattingly for sure
    Never said Mattingly deserved to be in the HOF...however, with what you just posted here on Hodges, seriously, does that seem like the type of stats that put the best players in the HOF?

This is why the guy is not in...he just doesn't have the type of numbers that jump out at you...not saying he wasn't a good ball player, he was. He just wasn't something special.

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanFL
    Never said Mattingly deserved to be in the HOF...however, with what you just posted here on Hodges, seriously, does that seem like the type of stats that put the best players in the HOF?

This is why the guy is not in...he just doesn't have the type of numbers that jump out at you...not saying he wasn't a good ball player, he was. He just wasn't something special.
    compared head to head w/ some comparable folks
    sort of,
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...dges&st=career

some good discussion here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Hodges
    why & why not

its borderline IMO why hes not in

the best player at his position for the 1950s-that IS special

Being an Old Bklyn Dodger fan I am naturally bias toward Gil Hodges. His stats were very commendable for a ball player in the 40's and 50's. His off field demeanor were above average and he was an excellent spokesperson for MLB. He was from Indiana and chose Bklyn to be his home he thus became a true New Yorker. His biggest accomplishment was leading the first expansion team that was in last place the prior year to the WS champs the following year. This along with his player stats should have been enough to get him voted in..IMHO

The rule of thumb that most writers go by for election into the HOF..."if you have to think about whether a player should be in the HOF, then he doesn't get a vote".

Who knows, maybe the veteran's committee votes him in...that's how some of these borderline players have gotten in previously.

Mattingly was on pace to be in the HOF, but injuries derailed he career, however, his stats didn't warrent a place in the HOF, just a place in the Hall Of Very Good.
    What I remember about mattingly was all the 3-6-3 double plays he started, I can't even remember the Yankees pulling that off anymore. When I was growing up, I thought of that being fairly normal, now I recognize the 3-6-3 requires a great first basemen.

Puckett doesn't deserve to be in the HOF either.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 51 VILMA 51
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

everyone submit your votes, hes a class act, he deserves it 100%
    Kingofqueens718 Checklist of things to see before voting "Donnie Baseball" into the Baseball Hall of Fame:

1.See Gil Hodges enter the Hall of Fame
    2.See Keith Hernandez enter the Hall of Fame
    3.See pigs fly

All League
    Personally, Donnie was IT to me as a Yankee fan. He was everything you should be as a player & person. He represented the pinstripes in the best possible way.
    When I was younger I thought it was nuts that people said he wouldn't get in. The criteria of 'Best player at your position during an era' was the #1 reason I thought he would get in.
    Injuries trashed the last third of his career. He would have had 3,000 hits, 350+ homers and hit over .300. He didn't.
    As I have RAPIDLY aged my feelings have changed some. 'Woulda, coulda, shoulda' is not worthy of the HOF. Puckett, for example, is NOT a HOFer, IMO.
    I will be happy to see him win a ring as our bench coach or manager!
    I think he would trade the HOF for a ring any day.