Thread: Mike Piazza

Mike Piazza

What's going on with this guy? A month ago, he was rumored to go to the Twins, A's, Blue Jays or Angels, but I haven't heard a thing since then. You would think someone would have signed him by now, since it's a little more than a month before pitchers and catchers report. He still had a decent bat.

Anyone heard any rumors? Maybe he's going to finally hang 'em up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Last I heard, he was hoping to DH and the Angels were rumored to be interested. The AL would definitely be his best bet at this point.

i don't even know if dh'ing is even going to be good for him, or the team that signs him to do so. his bat isn't what it used to be. sure it's decent for a catcher, but i wonder if he is really dh material. the only thing i see about him that makes him good dh material is that he isn't so good defensively. i really think the best scenario for him would have been part of a platoon behind the plate. actually i kinda wish the mets kept him for that purpose.

He just signed with the Padres. I could have sworn he would have signed with an AL team, but I guess they wanted to get a name to replace Hernandez, and Mirabelli can be a late inning defensive replacement.

Good luck, Mike.

Veteran
    glad he signed in the NL---it'll be great seeing him back at Shea

Quote Originally Posted by mreis171
    He just signed with the Padres. I could have sworn he would have signed with an AL team, but I guess they wanted to get a name to replace Hernandez, and Mirabelli can be a late inning defensive replacement.

Good luck, Mike.

just like i said. part of a catching platoon.