Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Mets Trade Benson

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

OT: Mets Trade Benson

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2300779

Right-hander Kris Benson was traded by the New York Mets to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for relief pitcher Jorge Julio and a prospect, MLB.com reported Saturday.

Benson was such a subject of past trade rumors that his wife, model Anna Benson, became critical of the Mets and one of the team's offseason acquisitions, Carlos Delgado.

Anna Benson sounded off on the Mets for attempting to trade the right-hander in part because of her negotiations to pose nude for Playboy, according to a report on the New York Daily News' Web site in December.

"We would never, ever have signed with New York if they had said they were going to trade us," Anna Benson told the paper at the time. "I was Miss [Politically Correct] for the Mets the entire time I was there.

"I have no deal with Playboy," she added.

Before the 2005 season began, the Mets signed Kris Benson to a three-year, $22.5 million deal after acquiring him from the Pirates in July 2004.

Last season, Benson was 10-8 with a 4.13 earned-run average in 174 1/3 innings pitched. Julio made 67 appearances in 2005 for Baltimore, with a 5.90 ERA in 71 2/3 innings.

Julio and Wagner make a nice 1-2 punch but Mets starters better stay healthy..Mets need 1 dominating starter still in my mind to have any chance of going all the way..

i dont like it, Benson was solid at times last year and this really may come back to bite us in the @ss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I don't like it at all. Hopefully it's just opening up another trade possibility.

Trading Seo, Trading Benson, how many starters do we have? We're not going to have any starters by the time the season roles around.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Julie and Wagner make a nice 1-2 punch but im not sold on this trade either..Mets staff needs and Ace..They are gona score runs and have a solid Pen, I just feel we dont have the starters..Pedro and Glavine are old..Now with Benson gone they need to make a move..Maybe they make play for Zito..Zito is a FA in the offeason and i dont think he will be back..Thing is do the A's trade him now or wait to mid season to see if they are in it.Im sure they will wait..I have a feeling the Mets make a move to bolster the rotation..

All League
    Wow, his wife is going to be PISSED!!

Practice Squad

zito to the mets

from mlbtraderumors.com

New Possible Zito Scenario
    Just got a note from my Mets source on a possible Barry Zito trade scenario. Here's how this could play out:

The Orioles still have some interest in Kris Benson; VP Jim Duquette likes him. Benson would be dealt to the O's for young players of Billy Beane's choice.

Victor Diaz would be shipped off by the Mets as well, but again for prospects coveted by Oakland. The A's don't have room for Diaz given their glut of 1B/DH/OF types. The prospects from both deals would then be packaged with Aaron Heilman and the Mets would receive Zito.

The Mets would likely sign Jeff DaVanon to platoon in right field with Xavier Nady to complement this trade. So keep an eye out for a DaVanon signing and Benson trade, because that could spell a Zito deal

I hate the deal if we don't do anything else ,,but I would wait to see what omar does next ,, I doubt he done dealing.. wait and see

i dont like it either as of now.....benson was a solid number 3 starter.....if you look at all our starters, there are question marks with each of them. Three of them are over 34, one is 30 and very wild, the other has a chance to be good in heilman....The wildcard is Soyer, the cuban defector. I'm assuming the mets must be really high on him if they traded two starters already.

Is julio that good? I really havent seen him pitch. From what I read, it sounds like he is on the decline. I trust Omar, but I feel like he likes to make moves just to make moves. Kind of like Isiah Thomas. I hope I'm wrong

Veteran
    I was hoping Benson would be a Ron Darling type; good control and tough competitor, but he didn't quite get there.

Plus the wife is a nut job.

Addition by subtraction.

There are some strange things afoot here. With the Benson trade, if no other moves are made, then Aaron Heilman would become a starter...something that most baseball people don't think is a good idea.

But, as the poster above mentioned, this could be a setup for a Barry Zito trade, who knows with Omar at the helm.

Benson, however, is a pitcher who's arm is radically different in the first half of the season than it is when he gets tired after the All-star break. He just doesn't have the durability to perform well over the course of an entire season.

Plus, his batsh*t crazy wife is a distraction.

not sure about the trade either but

Heilman reportedly wanted to start so this may strenghten the bullpen enough to move him to a starter. As of right now the starting five has to be pedro, glavine, trachel, heilman, and zambrano. Sure would look a lot nicer with Kazmir

TMahoney
    Mets have:

Starters:
    Pedro, Glavine, Heilman, Trachsel, Zambrano

Thats decent, but I'd like to go for Zito.

Just trade Lastings Milledge for Zito as long as Zito signs a long term contract.

Then we can keep Heilman starting and put Zambrano as the 6th man who can come out of the bullpen or pitch if one of the older guys needs a rest.

Hall Of Fame
    i'm not happy with this trade, Benson was solid last season...hmm maybe we still have something in terms of FAs up our sleeves.

we still have a decent rotation, but Zambrano scares me

great pen now though

TMahoney
    Just another thought, this move frees up a lot of cash too, so I would expect another move to come soon.

Benson is not solid and he's not a #3 starter, that is all

Hall Of Fame
    I am a Yankee fan, couldn't care less about the Mutts...

This is a very good move for them. Don't judge Julio off of last year in that band box park in a division with the Red Sox and Yankees. Julio is a VERY good setup man, and it makes the Mets bullpen exponentially better. At one time I thought this guy was going to be one hell of a closer.

The Mets have an abundance of mediocre starters after the top 2, Anna Benson will be missed more than Kris. This opens the door to bring in a Zito IMO.

Don't be upset Mets fans. In that pitcher friendly park in Flushing Julio just made it a 7 inning game for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    I am a Yankee fan, couldn't care less about the Mutts...

This is a very good move for them. Don't judge Julio off of last year in that band box park in a division with the Red Sox and Yankees. Julio is a VERY good setup man, and it makes the Mets bullpen exponentially better. At one time I thought this guy was going to be one hell of a closer.

The Mets have an abundance of mediocre starters after the top 2, Anna Benson will be missed more than Kris. This opens the door to bring in a Zito IMO.

Don't be upset Mets fans. In that pitcher friendly park in Flushing Julio just made it a 7 inning game for you guys.
    Met already have 2 or 3 better relievers than Julio, this trade by itself is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHiJetMan
    I was hoping Benson would be a Ron Darling type; good control and tough competitor, but he didn't quite get there.

Plus the wife is a nut job.

Addition by subtraction.

Yup. I had the feeling Benson was history, which is why it wasnt so smart to trade Seo.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2300779

Right-hander Kris Benson was traded by the New York Mets to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for relief pitcher Jorge Julio and a prospect, MLB.com reported Saturday.

Benson was such a subject of past trade rumors that his wife, model Anna Benson, became critical of the Mets and one of the team's offseason acquisitions, Carlos Delgado.

Anna Benson sounded off on the Mets for attempting to trade the right-hander in part because of her negotiations to pose nude for Playboy, according to a report on the New York Daily News' Web site in December.

"We would never, ever have signed with New York if they had said they were going to trade us," Anna Benson told the paper at the time. "I was Miss [Politically Correct] for the Mets the entire time I was there.

"I have no deal with Playboy," she added.

Before the 2005 season began, the Mets signed Kris Benson to a three-year, $22.5 million deal after acquiring him from the Pirates in July 2004.

Last season, Benson was 10-8 with a 4.13 earned-run average in 174 1/3 innings pitched. Julio made 67 appearances in 2005 for Baltimore, with a 5.90 ERA in 71 2/3 innings.

Julio and Wagner make a nice 1-2 punch but Mets starters better stay healthy..Mets need 1 dominating starter still in my mind to have any chance of going all the way..
    is it me or does Minya trade every white american for a spanish player. Julio had a 5.90 era and was hit all over the place last year when he got the set up role. He trade Kazmir for Zambrano who couldnt get a ball over the plate. It seems to me that there is something funny going on there

Quote Originally Posted by sec318
    He trade Kazmir for Zambrano who couldnt get a ball over the plate.
    way to kill your credibility...