View Poll Results: Should we trade Ellis before we can't?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - trade Ellis now

17 20.99%
  • No - dont trade Ellis, let him ride out his contract with us

20 24.69%
  • Convert Ellis to a NT - realizing we may be stuck with him if he cant perform at that position

4 4.94%
  • Leave Ellis where he is - you gotta love the guy

37 45.68%
  • His salary cap # prevents him from being traded

3 3.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade Ellis now before he's untradeable?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    The thinking here goes like this....

Some in the league think he "dogged" at least half of the season. Some in the league think he was a victim of Vilma emerging as the teams captain, the team's injuries, Herm, etc etc
    Who the hell are these people in the league you speak of?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Anyone who understands how the salary cap works knows that trading Ellis is NOT a possibility.

None of the above. Unless we're talking Madden here, he can't be traded nor can he play DT let alone NT. He's our only legit 3-4 end should we make that change anytime soon, and frankly LE is pretty close to the least of our concerns at this point.

Enough said when the Steelers where marching down the field I was saying to my friend no way they rush down so easy if Ellis was on the field.And as far as 2005 I think Ellis played hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Great post WCO, Let me add my own if you may,

Shaun Ellis became my favorite Jet last year in the playoffs against Pittsburgh.

I had been so MAD all day and week about John Abraham, and then during the game Shaun Ellis had to get helped off and I thought we were screwed. Even worse--Then Pittsburgh starts driving on us and are inside our 35.

All of a sudden the camera shows Shaun Ellis sprinting out of the locker room, finding his helmet and running onto the feild.

Within the next few plays Ellis causes a fumble (Jerome Bettis) and we get the ball back. At the time I really believe the Jets defense finally had an identity that day.

My point is, Shaun Ellis is a JET at Heart, a leader, and plays with injuries. If we were in the playoff hunt you guys better know SE would be playing.

I look forward to him being here for a LONG time.

BUT on a side note, Jetman 73, because of that thing called the salary cap I dont have to worry about him going anywhere--That's why this is a candidate for the dump

All League
    Stupid post. You obviously do not understand the concept of the salary cap. If we trade/cut a player, the entire bonus paid to that player (instead of being spread out over the life of the contract) is held against the cap in that year. I do believe that with Ellis's case, the cap hit would be well over 10 million.

Plus, why the heck would you want to get rid of one of best run-stuffing d-lineman in the league???

Everybody's tradeable the question is for who?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Trade Ellis?

Stupidity is spreading like wildfire on this board.

Veteran
    IMO......Ellis is an overrated player. I like him, don't get me wrong, but DE is not his strength. His speed and quickness is not that of a DE. However, he is a defensive lineman. We could tighten the screws and move him along side Robertson. I think he would become a bigger asset for the Jets and his career.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjet4life
    We could tighten the screws and move him along side Robertson. I think he would become a bigger asset for the Jets and his career.
    I am sorry but that is a completly false statement. Ellis was tried at DT earlier on in his career and that was a disaster. The worst part was that he gained weight and wasted 2003 trying to get fit again. The line would be an undersized line if we get Shaun Ellis at Dt and teams would run on our *** all day. We need a NT like Haloti Ngata. No DT's are below 300 pounds. Ellis is to weak and can probably play a one gap scheme which is the same as Robertson which would not help us. Off years happen and the lack of Ferguson showed. I told people at the start of the year that rookies do not do well on the Defensive Line. I said sign any vet, but ppl did not listen. "Pouha is a man. He is physically ready."

I know who you are. Lol

Ellis is a DE through and through. He is way too small to play DT of any sort.

How has this not been moved to teh dump yet???

Its almost impossible to trade Ellis

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    The thinking here goes like this....

Some in the league think he "dogged" at least half of the season. Some in the league think he was a victim of Vilma emerging as the teams captain, the team's injuries, Herm, etc etc

If he has another subpar year, we'll be stuck with him till the end of his contract. If we can eat part of the contract and send him off, we'll have a better chance of re-signing Abe's.

Or, we can try converting to a NT. But, thats a bit of a stretch and we would still be stuck with his contract if he doesnt do more than avg. at the position.
    This is the first I have heard of him dogging it. I heard he had injuries. Let's say he did dog it. It would be because Herm allowed it. I doubt Mangini will allow dogging.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Great post WCO, Let me add my own if you may,

Shaun Ellis became my favorite Jet last year in the playoffs against Pittsburgh.

I had been so MAD all day and week about John Abraham, and then during the game Shaun Ellis had to get helped off and I thought we were screwed. Even worse--Then Pittsburgh starts driving on us and are inside our 35.

All of a sudden the camera shows Shaun Ellis sprinting out of the locker room, finding his helmet and running onto the feild.

Within the next few plays Ellis causes a fumble (Jerome Bettis) and we get the ball back. At the time I really believe the Jets defense finally had an identity that day.

My point is, Shaun Ellis is a JET at Heart, a leader, and plays with injuries. If we were in the playoff hunt you guys better know SE would be playing.

I look forward to him being here for a LONG time.

BUT on a side note, Jetman 73, because of that thing called the salary cap I dont have to worry about him going anywhere--That's why this is a candidate for the dump

AMEN!!!

No way trade Ellis but get rid of Abraham (only if we can get good picks). Abraham is not worth the pay that Ellis gets. Ellis shows up every week and gives it his all. Ellis & Vilma is our future!!!

Jets Insider VIP

He's consider a core player

He's consider a core player and Mangini has said the core players will stay. These guys don't grow on trees.