View Poll Results: Should we trade Ellis before we can't?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - trade Ellis now

17 20.99%
  • No - dont trade Ellis, let him ride out his contract with us

20 24.69%
  • Convert Ellis to a NT - realizing we may be stuck with him if he cant perform at that position

4 4.94%
  • Leave Ellis where he is - you gotta love the guy

37 45.68%
  • His salary cap # prevents him from being traded

3 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Ellis now before he's untradeable?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Ellis now before he's untradeable?

The thinking here goes like this....

Some in the league think he "dogged" at least half of the season. Some in the league think he was a victim of Vilma emerging as the teams captain, the team's injuries, Herm, etc etc

If he has another subpar year, we'll be stuck with him till the end of his contract. If we can eat part of the contract and send him off, we'll have a better chance of re-signing Abe's.

Or, we can try converting to a NT. But, thats a bit of a stretch and we would still be stuck with his contract if he doesnt do more than avg. at the position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some in the league think he "dogged" at least half of the season
    Name your sources before its sent to the dump(Hurrayyyyy)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He just signed a new contract with a 15M bonus. If we cut/trade him it would count as around 12-13M against our cap. We don't have that option.

There were reports that he was playing hurt most of the year.

Also they already tried to move Ellis to a DT and it was a disaster.
    Last edited by Section109Row15; 01-25-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Name your sources before its sent to the dump(Hurrayyyyy)
    Give me your SS # and bank statements first. This way i can find out if youre legit

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Section109Row15
    He just signed a new contract with a 15M bonus. If we cut/trade him it would count as around 12-13M against our cap. We don't have that option..
    what he said.

some people should take the time to learn about the salary cap before they waste sooth's bandwith

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    one bad year, everyone overreacts...remember how admirably he played when abe went down in 2004...strahan has had some bad years would u consider him a bad player...didn't think so, everyone need to calm down Ellis is a great player and will be back

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ill pass on trading a legit stud DE.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shaun Ellis is more than you see on the field.

In 2001, I was at the Raider games EARLY, and from a safe disatnce (the walkway) I watched Big Shaun lead a group of Jets over to jaw with the Black Hole, who were ready to go. (The Raiders were looking for win to set up a bye). I was pretty proud for them, and I kept thinking of Parcells and his picks; he loves the tough guys. The Jets won that game.

Another Ellis anectdote is that he spoke up before going into Pittsburgh; saying that they had better be ready-the Jets had something for the 10-1 Steelers. They harrassed Ben, and that was the game that started the whispers that the rookie was hitting the wall. Something hit him...#92.

Problem was, the offense stayed in NY that day. Another battle with one hand tied behind their backs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive

In 2001, I was at the Raider games EARLY, and from a safe disatnce (the walkway) I watched Big Shaun lead a group of Jets over to jaw with the Black Hole, who were ready to go. (The Raiders were looking for win to set up a bye). I was pretty proud for them, and I kept thinking of Parcells and his picks; he loves the tough guys. The Jets won that game.

Another Ellis anectdote is that he spoke up before going into Pittsburgh; saying that they had better be ready-the Jets had something for the 10-1 Steelers. They harrassed Ben, and that was the game that started the whispers that the rookie was hitting the wall. Something hit him...#92.

Problem was, the offense stayed in NY that day. Another battle with one hand tied behind their backs.
    agreed...to me...i keep Ellis over Abe 7 days a week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post WCO, Let me add my own if you may,

Shaun Ellis became my favorite Jet last year in the playoffs against Pittsburgh.

I had been so MAD all day and week about John Abraham, and then during the game Shaun Ellis had to get helped off and I thought we were screwed. Even worse--Then Pittsburgh starts driving on us and are inside our 35.

All of a sudden the camera shows Shaun Ellis sprinting out of the locker room, finding his helmet and running onto the feild.

Within the next few plays Ellis causes a fumble (Jerome Bettis) and we get the ball back. At the time I really believe the Jets defense finally had an identity that day.

My point is, Shaun Ellis is a JET at Heart, a leader, and plays with injuries. If we were in the playoff hunt you guys better know SE would be playing.

I look forward to him being here for a LONG time.

BUT on a side note, Jetman 73, because of that thing called the salary cap I dont have to worry about him going anywhere--That's why this is a candidate for the dump

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Ellis and believe we should keep him. But say we do we trade him, what exactly do you expect to get from a starting DE who racked up 2 1/2 sacks? Granted, he's better than that stat would suggest, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt his value. Combine that with the immense hit and there is nothing positive that could come out of trying to deal him.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    agreed...to me...i keep Ellis over Abe 7 days a week.
    I don't see how you can quantify them, em. I feel that they feed off each other, they are buddies when the times are good/great...it would be hard for anyone outside of Henderson to really be correct there-they both mean a lot to Herm's Tampa-2 scheme.

Since Ellis is hurt less often, I guess you have a case there...

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Great post WCO, Let me add my own if you may,

Shaun Ellis became my favorite Jet last year in the playoffs against Pittsburgh.

I had been so MAD all day and week about John Abraham, and then during the game Shaun Ellis had to get helped off and I thought we were screwed. Even worse--Then Pittsburgh starts driving on us and are inside our 35.

All of a sudden the camera shows Shaun Ellis sprinting out of the locker room, finding his helmet and running onto the feild.

Within the next few plays Ellis causes a fumble (Jerome Bettis) and we get the ball back. At the time I really believe the Jets defense finally had an identity that day.

My point is, Shaun Ellis is a JET at Heart, a leader, and plays with injuries. If we were in the playoff hunt you guys better know SE would be playing.

I look forward to him being here for a LONG time.

BUT on a side note, Jetman 73, because of that thing called the salary cap I dont have to worry about him going anywhere--That's why this is a candidate for the dump
    There you go! Excellent post. I knew this guy had heart...he's a keeper. Thanks for speaking up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see how you can quantify them, em. I feel that they feed off each other, they are buddies when the times are good/great...it would be hard for anyone outside of Henderson to really be correct there-they both mean a lot to Herm's Tampa-2 scheme.

Correction... not mean but meant. Herm's gone and he took the sorry *** "Cover Who?" with him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    The thinking here goes like this....

Some in the league think he "dogged" at least half of the season. Some in the league think he was a victim of Vilma emerging as the teams captain, the team's injuries, Herm, etc etc

If he has another subpar year, we'll be stuck with him till the end of his contract. If we can eat part of the contract and send him off, we'll have a better chance of re-signing Abe's.

Or, we can try converting to a NT. But, thats a bit of a stretch and we would still be stuck with his contract if he doesnt do more than avg. at the position.
    you cannot get rid of him. the guy makes too much moeny-- if they released him/traded him the jets would take a HUGE cap hit.... was he worth it? NO... i said it before and i'll say it again : JOHN ABRAHAM IS BETTER THAN SHAUN ELLIS---- always was, always will be.

chad, ellis, mccariens, d-rob are un-tradable... in my book they should be the first 4 off the team, but BAD MANAGEMENT has forced them to stay.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green
    Correction... not mean but meant. Herm's gone and he took the sorry *** "Cover Who?" with him.
    Well, at least you caught my drift...that was exactly what i was alluding to.

As much as we rough up Herm, I liked that scheme.

Don't hate me...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    73..........no, you don't trade Ellis (our most dependable end). You get him ready to kick *** next year. You keep Abe and add a rather large NT to play next to Robertson. That's my biggest hope for our defense next year. Keep the line intact and add a bruiser in the middle. That would insure a top 10 defense on 2006.

Now, if we could only get Ellis to play OG as well.................kidding.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    ill pass on trading a legit stud DE.

Exactly. The whole defense played sub-par. This guy makes plays and plays hard every down. This thread is stupid.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think under Mangini we might get the best out of ellis and abe!!!

DJR44

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but Ellis wasn't "Ellis" last year.

He for sure took plays off.

Was he injured?