Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Foreign Beer

Schluberator & Gadfly

Best Foreign Beer

I'll go with Steinlager from New Zealand or Guiness. Depends on my mood!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet]I'll go with Steinlager from New Zealand or Guiness. Depends on my mood![/QUOTE]

I like a good Guinness draft but i don't like bottles, alot of it is bottled in Canada

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=JazzyJet]I like a good Guinness draft but i don't like bottles, alot of it is bottled in Canada[/QUOTE]
    I didn't know that! :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet]I didn't know that! :eek:[/QUOTE]

yeah I know isn't that disturbing, I was mad when I found out too

Hall Of Fame
    it's also brewed there...and another fact

Fosters (which I don't even really like), is brewed and bottles in Canada also...not down under :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Dos Equis

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=thechadzone10]Dos Equis[/QUOTE]
    Oh yeah! That's another one of my favs!!! And Bass and Red Stripe and Harps and TsingTao and Maccabee's..............and I could go on and on...

Rookie
    Love Guinness, but lately I have really fallen for Smithwicks

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=exiledinjersey]Love Guinness, but lately I have really fallen for Smithwicks[/QUOTE]
    Smithwicks? Haven't heard of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=exiledinjersey]Love Guinness, but lately I have really fallen for Smithwicks[/QUOTE]

Smithwicks has been making the rounds up here as well. Great beer. Guinness needs to be taken out of the equation though, as it is not fair to all the other beers. Guinness is in a class by itself. Also a Harp fan.

I've got to give a vote for Newcastle. It's my "base" beer. Basement fridge is always fully stocked.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    [IMG]http://www.in-to-amsterdam.com/images/heineken-1.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=IndyJet]I've got to give a vote for Newcastle. It's my "base" beer. Basement fridge is always fully stocked.[/QUOTE]
    how pricy is newcastle?

Tenants Lager, draft of course, in a small pub in Scotland. Sadly, not available in the USA in any form :(

As for what IS available, I stick with Swithwick and or Guiness when at Bars (and not drinking Scotch). At home I may add McEwans Scotch Ale, or some other Scottish Wee Heavy.

My GF LOVES Newcastle. And as to price, it goes for 8 to 10 or so per 6'er here in NoVA.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-26-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Veteran
    Newcastle

[QUOTE=Warfish]Tenants Lager, draft of course, in a small pub in Scotland. Sadly, not available in the USA in any form :(

As for what IS available, I stick with Swithwick and or Guiness when at Bars (and not drinking Scotch). At home I may add McEwans Scotch Ale, or some other Scottish Wee Heavy.

My GF LOVES Newcastle. And as to price, it goes for 8 to 10 or so per 6'er here in NoVA.[/QUOTE]

WF,

My friend brought back one from Scotland and I swear, I didn't know what to think.

It was thick as hell and bitter, more so than anything I'd ever tasted.

I think I need more to appreciate it.... ;)

[QUOTE=JazzyJet]it's also brewed there...and another fact

Fosters (which I don't even really like), is brewed and bottles in Canada also...not down under :eek:[/QUOTE]

I post on another board that has a resident aussie. Mentioning Foster's makes him curse a blue streak - to Aussies, it's the worst kind of piss.

I'd say Leffe is the best foreign beer I've had.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Newcastle is just about the best foreigner IMO. When I'm in heavy-duty slam mode I like the lighter Stella Artois.

BTW one reason the bottled Guinness isn't as good is because they can't get the proper bubble distribution from the nitrous. This achieved on tap with an extra gas line, and by can with those cyclindrical plugs that rattles around after you're empty.

Some good British "bitters" include Fuller's, Double Diamond and Young's. More to come as I remember the ales...
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 01-26-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=MiamiJet]WF,

My friend brought back one from Scotland and I swear, I didn't know what to think.

It was thick as hell and bitter, more so than anything I'd ever tasted.

I think I need more to appreciate it.... ;)[/QUOTE]Could that have been the Milk Stout? Had some in the Bahamas. Decent stuff compared to what else was available, but wouldn't go out of my way to find it here.

All Pro
    [IMG]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/beersodasports.safeshopper.com/images/q0ailge.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/beersodasports.safeshopper.com/images/bq0aild0.jpg[/IMG]